Lost Windows Sounds

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Landolfi, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

My dad's PC has no Windows sounds. All the sound files are in the proper place (C:WindowsMedia), but they're not being used.

Songs can be played/heard with Windows Media Player, and if he played any games I think he'd hear those as well. The lack of sound seems to be confined to Windows System Sounds. No logon, logoff, mail notification, etc., and the "Windows Default Sounds" are enabled in the Control Panel's sound properties.

I found a discussion of this elsewhere, and there was a .reg file (RestoreSounds) that we tried with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Rob

2. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi Rob, My dad had the same problem I asked around nobody had any suggestions that worked . He had to reformat and reinstall to solve the problem. might of been a corrupted install,this would be a last resort.
    I would suggest trying the Microsoft Win XP Newsgroups.[​IMG]

3. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

I was afraid someone would say that, though in the back of my mind I figured that's what I'd have to do. I'll have to wait until I visit him later in the year. He's a wannabe techie, but I don't want to saddle him with this chore. Thanks for the advice.