Lost: Season Six (2 Viewers)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Dave Mack

and why would Christian who is opening the doors "literally" to the next plane lie to Jack?

How did he lie to Jack at all? He told Jack they had died. Some at different times then others, etc. Which is all a matter of perspective. For all they know, some of the people, especially those they had met on the "Island" (purgatory) who became his friend, like Juliette, could have been dead years and years before. But they were all still there.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
He told Jack that "some died before you, some LONG after..." If they all died instantly in the plane crash then that is either incorrect or he is lying.

and once again, why full episodes devoted to Jacob, MIB and Richard taking place hundreds of years ago?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Dave Mack

He told Jack that "some died before you, some LONG after..." If they all died instantly in the plane crash then that is either incorrect or he is lying.

and once again, why full episodes devoted to Jacob, MIB and Richard taking place hundreds of years ago?

Why is it surprising that some died long after? I don't know how that impacts things either. If time is relative (and we've seen this) then how do we know how long Jack and his voyage on the island was, or when anyone died?

I thought the whole point of the episodes dedicated to Richard was really self explanatory: he was divided asked whether or not he could move on or go to hell, and yet, it showed that he would live there basically forever until he could chose and move on.

The storyline between Jacob/MIB is obvious: two who made their way to purgatory as innocents, and yet, they had to chose their path... both of them were simply mortals, Jacob refusing to let MIB go, because in the end, MIB was destined to hell, and Jacob couldn't move on because he couldn't accept his brother going to hell. MIB's struggle to "get off the island" was his acknowledgement that he was ready to move on, he needed to go, and his killing anyone was something he took with little problem because they would either restart or moveon, no loss... but he needed off, out of purgatory.

I thought their stories came hard into focus once we realized the island equals purgatory. And you have to remember, not everyone in that church was someone who was on the plane, so "some died long after" could reference a whole lot of people Jack came to know.

I don't see how Christian's statement was a lie at all; and that the plotlines of Jacob/MIB/Richard was basically: you move on when you are ready, and there is no timetable on that.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Matt, but you're wrong. I mean, believe what you want, but it is a massive and pointless reach.

--

H

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Matt, you're trying hard to defend the contrary position, but Jack's father made it perfectly clear that the events on the island really happened. “The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people" makes no sense if he'd met them all in the afterlife.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
I thought their stories came hard into focus once we realized the island equals purgatory.
so to understand your theory, did Penny also die in the real world and then was introduced to this purgatory, or was she a construct of Desmond who died on the Island? or was Desmond a construct as well?

i thought it would have been interesting if MiB was allowed to leave after losing his powers.

Ben wanted to stay because he still liked Rousseau :) or was she in the church?

what was the plane flying overhead in the last shot? i'm guessing it was a flashback to the limbo-815 as it flew over the Island in the season 6 premiere?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The plane overhead that Jack saw before he died was the plane that just left with Kate, Sawyer, etc...literally, they left.

Hurley, Ben, Desmond, Rose, and Bernard never left...

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
My random thoughts on the finale and series as a whole...

Really enjoyed the journey...the end game was pretty underwhelming, but I was prepared for that.

My immediate reaction was that they all died in the original crash, but after playing back Christian's conversation and thinking about it more, I think it's pretty obvious what most are saying about the off-island stuff being a purgatory of sorts holds the most water.

So is it safe to say that by Juliet saying "It worked", all she meant was that it stopped the time flashes, not that it prevented the crash from happening?

So how come if MIB goes into the pit he comes out smoke monster, but not Jack? (Or even Desmond - although I guess with Desmond you could argue that he had that special ability to resist the electromagnetism.)

And what made Jack and MIB suddenly mortal? Was it Desmond putting the light out? And are we to believe Richard is now a mortal? And if Jack is, how was he able to give Hurley the magic juice to make him like him?

Overall, I really enjoyed the series. Certainly not "one of the best of all time" as some have said, but it's probably one of the better network shows I've seen (but I don't watch much network TV).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

watch J.J. Abrams tell a crowd at the Paley festival, "Well [the theory] that I like, and the one that everyone was talking about a while to me, is the purgatory one, and though that's not what it is, it is such a great idea ... But that isn't literally what [the island] is."

(found this)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
"So is it safe to say that by Juliet saying "It worked", all she meant was that it stopped the time flashes, not that it prevented the crash from happening?"

That's pretty much my interpretation of Jughead...

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottH

So is it safe to say that by Juliet saying "It worked", all she meant was that it stopped the time flashes, not that it prevented the crash from happening?

I took Juliet's "It worked" to mean that unplugging the vending machine worked, and Sawyer got his candy bar :)

I think she left Miles with that message for Sawyer to help trigger his awakening in the afterlife, as her "it worked" there was followed by the remainder of their conversation about going dutch for coffee.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
"So is it safe to say that by Juliet saying "It worked", all she meant was that it stopped the time flashes, not that it prevented the crash from happening?"

Or maybe just the random ravings of a dying woman. And a massive red herring (a good one.)

"So how come if MIB goes into the pit he comes out smoke monster, but not Jack? (Or even Desmond - although I guess with Desmond you could argue that he had that special ability to resist the electromagnetism.)"

I am sure I am not alone in thinking for a bit there that Jack was getting setup to become Smokey, after he turned the light back on, and presumably got exposed to extreme levels of EM.

"And what made Jack and MIB suddenly mortal? Was it Desmond putting the light out? And are we to believe Richard is now a mortal? And if Jack is, how was he able to give Hurley the magic juice to make him like him?"

I am guessing the light is tied to his powers (and Smokey's), but not his status as a protector of the Island, and therefore not to his ability to pass that status on to another?

--

H

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
My thought about the plane flying overhead was that it was Lapidus and crew in the Ajira plane. When Jack saw it, it was the last thing he needed before he could let go. And then he shut his eye for the last time.

Easy to say now, but it suddenly came to me and I suggested to my wife at 8:58 that the last scene we would see was Jack's eye closing, since the series opened with Jack's eye opening. The story came full circle. Ka is a wheel (a donkey wheel?).

Speaking of the wheel, was anyone else floored by the stained glass in the church room where Christian's empty coffin waited. Six segments, a cross (Christianity), a star of David (Judaism), a star and crescent (Islam), a wheel (Islandism?), and two other symbols that I didn't get. My son said one was Hindu, but I can't confirm that.

Another observation, isn't it ironic that, to fix the island and save the world, Jack had to put back the rock that Desmond an pulled out? In a sense, he put the cork back in the bottle.

Jack didn't turn to smoke because he was like Jacob, who was like not-Mom. Desmond didn't turn to smoke because he was not EMI sensitive.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Holadem

Great article that could have been written by me, as it so perfectly nails what I've been trying to say all along, sometimes words for word. (all emphasis mine)

but there were also large parts of the story elided in favor of finding a type of closure for some of the characters. The episode was designed to hit a series of smart emotional punches based on six years of viewer investment, and it did so flawlessly. But its focus on the group of people on the show, and not the reason they were together, felt ultimately like an insubstantial attempt to cancel out all those wandering plots and unanswered questions and say they never mattered. Yet they did matter. Not because they were more important than the characters, but because they were the reason those characters lived and died they way they did. ...

What a terrible (it's blog, so that's par for the course) write-up. This author *clearly* doesn't understand the show, or how imagery or symbolism work within a piece of fiction. I picture an individual sitting on their counch, slamming their face full of popcorn while the flickering images on their television entertain them for an hour each week.

"Large parts of the story elided?"

"Not the reason they were together?"

"Ignore large chunks of previous seasons?"

"Crafting a mystery and then backing out of it?"

These are all flat-out wrong, and indicate that the writer honestly didn't have a clue what was going on other than "some people crashed on an island and had some adventures."

I could literally watch the show with someone who had never seen the show, pausing the show every time they had a question like "who is that guy?" or "what happens to that?" or "why is that there?" and answer *all* but a handful of questions. I can't think of a single major question, and definitely not a single major plot thread that went unresolved, other than Eko and Walt. Eko I can forgive because the actor's parents were sick/dying/died (I forget which) and needed to leave, and Walt because they made the mistake of casting a child (never cast a child in a show like this).

I'll say it again: after watching every single episode of the show, I can answer almost any substantial question about LOST to some degree. What is the Island? I can answer that. Why is everyone on the Island? I can answer that. What was the Dharma Initiative, and what happened to them? I can answer that, too. Who was Jacob/the Man in Black? Yup, answers. Why wasn't Walt/Eko/Michael/insert character here not in the church? Got it covered.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Okay, Josh...the situation with why babies can't be born on the island?

As an aside Josh, I'm willing to bet I could probably answer them too...but I haven't rewatched a single season of the series yet. I greatly anticipate the Blu Ray of the series...because I think the answers are there...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by mattCR

What makes you think that? Almost all of them had let go of their former life on the island. In 6 seasons, how often did you here long discussions about someone not on the island, a husband or wife they were heartbroken over?

???

What makes *you* think that? Again, that's just wrong, plain and simple. ALL of the main characters had baggage from *before* the crash. They didn't have to let go of their life on the island, they had to let go of their life BEFORE the island. The island was a way of them overcoming anything that was standing in their way of peace. They were broken, and the island fixed them, or rather, they fixed themselves, on the island.

The island wasn't purgatory: it was where they all started truly living.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks