What's new

Lost: Season Four (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
There is a new Lost video podcast available. It is filmed at San Diego ComicCon. There is information about the Dharma Initiative recruitment effort and an interview with Matthew Fox.

Meanwhile, I was watching an episode of Two Thousand Acres of Sky - a BBC show I taped on PBS some time back - and glanced at the final credits of this episode and saw the name Henry Ian Cusick. I just shouted, "Desmond", then rewound my tape to take a closer look at his scenes in the episode. Looking at imdb I saw that this was his first appearance and he shows up two more times in the next season. It was a pleasant surprise.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Not season four specific, but anybody know whether Lost on Sci Fi will actually be in HD.

The meager HD offerings on Sci Fi HD don't leave me very hopeful. I'm getting ready to up the capacity of my DVR with an external SATA drive and I wouldn't mind recording it all from the beginning...but if it's not really HD...maybe not.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just in case anyone is interested, the DharmaWantsYou site sent out a message yesterdayIf you go there and login you'll find out that the starting date is August 19.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
While I was unable to get it to load on August 19 (probably too many people accessing the server?), I was able to get in today and try the first test.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
After the original first test I was "accepted" into the program. Now there are a series of tests and supposedly you will get points and so forth and we'll see what happens. Nothing enlightening has happened so far.

Neil

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We're through three seasons now, and have watched the first three episodes from season four. It's getting better and better. The Oceanic 6 are starting to take shape, and seeing the flash forwards is a lot of fun.

Tonight, we rewatched The Beginning of the End and Confirmed Dead, and saw The Economist for the first time. The two camps are now split, and the 'rescuers' are adding quite a bit of seasoning to the new mix. The plan to trap Sayid, Kate, et al. was quite clever. Also, I had no idea that the twist that occurred with Sayid and Elsa was going to transpire -- what a clever piece of writing I found that to be.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Wow, what an evening of Lost viewing. We watched Eggtown, The Constant, The Other Woman, and Ji Yeon. As one poster mentioned in another thread, The Constant is easily one of the very best of the series thus far. It was really interesting trying to keep up with what was happening. And the (to me at least) out of sorts editing, done very abruptly, only added to the effect that they were trying to convey. There was so much character development and even a few questions answered. I remember not too long ago thinking that Juliet wanted Goodwin dead -- LOL. Now I know who was behind that.

And what a surprise on the ship! I've been racking my brain for a couple of nights trying to think who it might be that was Ben's inside man. I should have guessed who, but I didn't. That's probably because I was so engrossed with a couple of the flash forwards that have been shown thus far in this season (and with one in particular that may have hinted at who it could have been on the ship). Even though I've seen Harold Perrineau's name in the credits for several of the season three episodes, he finally makes an appearance at the most opportune time!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

As one poster mentioned in another thread, The Constant is easily one of the very best of the series thus far.
That's a great one. I'm probably in a minority but I think There's No Place Like Home (Part Two) edges The Conastant out as the best episode of the season though. The Shape Of Things To Come is also a highlight too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Yeah, I saw that title (There's No Place Like Home) when I was fishing through the season four discs yesterday. I had forgotten how short this season was. On the up side, there is a neat booklet (assuming one has the required sense of humor ) included with the season.

I'd like to reiterate how much I appreciate Michael Emerson's acting. Goodness, I'd be hard pressed to find an actor with more range in Lost than he. I know that the man who plays Richard has received a lot of accollades in the other thread, but Emerson is the man for me right now. In the episode I saw last night, in which he first meets Juliet, I saw some interesting nuances right from the get-go. At first, I was turned off by what I saw, but then I let it play out, and realized that what I saw was in the script as opposed to a slip-up (as in being out of character and off the page) on his part. It was a wonderful segment when he first laid eyes on Juliet.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I'd like to reiterate how much I appreciate Michael Emerson's acting.
You're in for a treat as you catch up with the episodes you haven't seen. His Emmy in 2009 was well-deserved.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

You're in for a treat as you catch up with the episodes you haven't seen. His Emmy in 2009 was well-deserved.

Josh,

Thanks. I'm going through season four quite fast (eight episodes in about three nights). I almost asked if he had won an Emmy (didn't Locke win one for Lost?)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched The Other Woman again tonight. I learned a few things that escaped me the first time. First, during the scene where Kate is found by Jack and Juliet (this is after Charlotte has conked her on the head and taken off with Farraday), the Dies irae is heard. The first eight notes are there, and it's unmistakable. I do know that Giacchino hints at it elsewhere (at least earlier) in the series by giving us only fragments of the (instrumentalized) chant; however, here the first 'phrase' is heard in its entirety, note-for-note. Unlike his use of "Life and Death" at opportune times, I wasn't certain why the Dies irae was used at this point. But I'm sure there was a reason other than musical.

Later, when Ben shows Juliet Goodwin's dead body, I almost thought I saw a hint of schizophrenia in Ben. He came very close to acting as though he had more than one personality, too -- but he probably only momentarily lost control given what he and Juliet were discussing. {How I'd love to know who Harper was referring to earlier in the episode when she said that Juliet 'looks like her' (or words to that effect)}. My daughter thought of Annie, and I thought of a girlfriend or wife. I hope I find this out one day.

Some conjecture on my part: Back in season two, when Ben is (I think) talking to Locke about who the 'bad guys' really are, he mentions how Jack's group has killed one (I assume Ethan), and they (the Others) have killed one (perhaps Scott or Steve?) At the time, I remember thinking that Ben's math didn't sound quite right. But tonight, I may have understood what Ben was getting at -- that possibly Goodwin was purposely omitted from that season two discussion because Ben, and not Jack's group, was ultimately responsible for sending him to his death. That made a bit more sense to me, since saying that the Others killed two would not have been advantageous to Ben in that situation.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

First, during the scene where Kate is found by Jack and Juliet (this is after Charlotte has conked her on the head and taken off with Farraday), the Dies irae is heard. The first eight notes are there, and it's unmistakable.
That's Kate's theme (she doesn't really have any leitmotifs that I can remember). It's was established back from in season one, and appears on the OST as "Kate's Motel." It's a musical homage to one of Giacchino's influences, Bernard Herrmann, who himself was influenced by Dies Irae.

I don't believe that tie to the hymn has any real connection with the story itself, as Giacchino wasn't part of the "inner circle" with regards to the story arcs at the time (season one). Unlike, say, Bear McCreary (my favourite soundtrack composer at the moment) on BSG , Caprica, and Human Target, who is intimately involved with the actual crafting of the narrative.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

My daughter thought of Annie, and I thought of a girlfriend or wife. I hope I find this out one day.
I kinda like the mystery of not knowing about Annie (she must have meant something to Ben since he kept that wooden doll that she made him) but it doesn't seem like something that they're going to cover in the series. Annie and Ben's story seems like something that would be perfect if they decide to do a comic book series in the future.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Josh,

Hey, thanks for that information. I was pretty certain that I had heard it in its entirety (well, at least the eight-note phrase) before. Most films that I have heard that use it don't use the entire chant. The original Jason and the Argonauts goes pretty far with it, as does The Screaming Skull.

BTW, I don't know if you've seen any of my posts on film composers, but Bernard Herrmann is my all-time favorite. His scores for Psycho, Fahrenheit 451 (you know you love 7/4), The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Vertigo are among my favorites. But there are so many more. His studies with Percy Grainger were discussed in some of my graduate courses, one of which was taught by a professor who knew Bernard Herrmann at some length.

Travis,

The reason I dismissed Annie as a possibility regarding Harper's words was because I think she was a brunette. (BTW, speaking of comic books and possible spinoffs, every time I see the series Flash Forward, I can't help but think of Lost.)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Scott, are you watching Battlestar? I don't recall seeing you in any of the season threads. If you ever decide to give it a shot, Bear McCreary has a blog about his work on the show (as well as his other shows, such as Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Trauma, Human Target, and Caprica). His music was so popular that it went out on tour--pretty amazing for a show on the Scfi channel.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Josh,

No, not yet. That's another series that I really have to watch one day. My eldest son has purchased the first season for himself, but I have yet to catch an episode. He is also a huge Buffy fan, which is a series I have yet to see (except for an episode here and there).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched two more episodes last night: Meet Kevin Johnson and The Shape of Things to Come. What a bummer to see the deaths of Carl, Danielle, and Alex. I had no idea it was coming, especially Alex. Major bummer. Anyway, my wife informs me that we will see Alex (or rather, 'sinister Alex') later in the series, thanks to the MiB. How I wish that Ben had unleashed Smokie before he stated that they had changed the rules. Of course, he had no reason to do that before Alex's death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks