Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I can't.

Think it was a cheap thing to do to revive his character. I for
one am not happy.

I missed his character, but it's a desperate attempt by the writers
to have him all of a sudden alive again.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Well, were you able to accept that Michael's gun jammed so many times, or that he survived driving directly into a wall?

If so, just think of it as the island was keeping Jin alive because he has a purpose in the future.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Ok, this is dangerous to try to jump into this in the middle without reading through the whole thread, but I don't have the time so forgive me if this has already been pointed out. In last season's episodes, we saw scenes with Sun alone, visiting Jin's grave, etc. at the same time we saw "Jin" living a different life without Sun, but in the same time frame. I figure this is just part of the explanation for that and was actually planned for by the writers. I could see it making sense.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it was extremely obvious that the scenes with jin were a flashback.
he was running around looking for a gift while he was still working before he landed on the island.

from another board.

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by -- View Post
It continues to surprise me how much this episode confused everybody.
Wasn't it obvious by the end that Jin wasn't trying to get to his wife's labor,
but to someone his boss wanted to receive a gift - and that it was a flashback,
not a flashforward? So Sun's part of the episode was a flash forward and Jin's part was a flash back.
Didn't Sun then visit Jin's grave marker soon after? Wasn't this obvious?

Personally, I think that at least 80% of all LOST fans still think that Jin episode
with the Panda was a FLASH FORWARD. They think that Jin married some other woman
(because he said he's only been married for a month) and that he is back working for that company.
Many think that Sun THINKS Jin's dead, but Jin survived the explosion and
found his way back to society and then made his own life away from Sun.

Even after I explained to people that the PRODUCERS even SAID it was a flashback,
they DON'T believe it. Most still think it was a flash forward.
So, when you ask: Wasn't it obvious?.

Apparently not. In fact, I just had a big discussion about this with a colleague of mine
and she still INSISTS that it was a flash forward and that Jin will make it back
to society and marry another woman and work for the company -- just like the
"flash forward" showed. I can't convince her otherwise."

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Do you actually think the original plan was to have Jin stay dead? I certainly don't. I think it's pretty clear the entire time that he was always meant to "come back." Virtually everything about his "death" was as ambiguous as it could have possible been.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Well, though I don't read or listen to all that the producers say about the show, I never ran across that (at least I don't recall it). The way it was presented in the episode was scenes of Sun having the baby inter cut with scenes of Jin buying the Panda and rushing it to the hospital for the grandson (or was it son?) of his superior. There was nothing obvious about it being a flash forward combined with a flash back. My local friends who watch the show all thought it was occurring at the same time so I don't think it could be called "obvious." That may have been the intent, but the actual process message was clearly different for many.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

There were numerous clues, for instance the cellphone Jin was using. It was clearly meant to be a trick - the audience is supposed to think we are seeing another flashfoward (as that season was focusing on them, almost exclusively), and then the big reveal at the end is that Jin's scenes were flashbacks, and Sun's were the flashforwards.

I didn't know there was *any* confusion about this.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yes, it was. I think you're misinterpreting what David wrote.

That episode still irks me. Because the only reason for intercutting between the Sun flashforward and the Jin flashback is to fool the audience. Jin's flashback adds absolutely nothing to the episode and there was no other reason to show it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
right i forgot sun was having a baby in that ep too.
my guess is simple misdirection.

they wanted you to think you were seeing someting that you weren't.
what the Jin stuff has to do with anything is obviously unknown right now.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

agreed. VERY muffled here in NYC on TWC. We had to crank the volume to hear the dialog and then when a commercial came on it blew us off the couch. Never like this before...

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

good pun, Travis!

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

celica

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Celica
Series 5 ep 4 is on right now in the UK. I guess we're way behind the USA showings?
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Right and not only did the writers know what they were doing, the actor knew what they were doing as well with his near-time fate, though the other actors didn't. If you see the latest video podcast Daniel Dae Kim addresses the subject.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Boulder Colorado here, and the sound was atrocious. I was blasting it to make out the dialogue. Very poor sound quality. It was as if the EQ was all messed up.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

In the commentary track of season 4, someone says "and Sun thinks Jin is dead" when the boat sank. That was my first recognition that Jin wasn't dead (or they wouldn't have phrased it that way).

On the other hand, Lost usually fires everyone who gets a drunk driving ticket, so, it is unusual that he's back.

Edit: Sun/Jin typo corrected

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks