What's new

Lost: Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Louis C

Supporting Actor
As they have done in the past, the producers will likely explain it with a back story.

On the freighter, just before it blows up, Jin will be shown diving into the water. He grabs a piece of floating wreckage and begins swimming towards the island (where else is he going to go?) Some time passes between this time and the time Ben turns the wheel, so there is sufficient time for Jin to get within range and so he moves with the island.

Why read more into it?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Along the same lines, not that its that big of a deal, but I was really expecting based on the 'rules' of time travel that they've shown us, that the boat was going to disappear while they were in the middle of trying to go to the Orchid.

And my explanation for Jin making it back is similar to what's already been said, that the helicopter was high enough that it was out of the radius, but Jin swimming back was within it.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that contradicts this is the fact that the helicopter was closer to the island than Jin and it wasn't within range. However, as I originally suggested in my "excruciating logical contortion", the chopper was too high to be caught in the radius.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Confusing wording on my part. I was dealing with the disappearance of the island from the point of view of the peoplein the helicopter. Rewording my point (which addresses something someone else said), I don't think the island disappeared due to any time shift because even if it went back in time 20 years, it'd still be there from the POV of the peopelon the helicopter. Instead, it disappeared, so something else went on. What I concluded was that it must have moved geographically, but if I'm being complete, that's not the only explanation.

The island has always had a sort of "bubble" around it. It's been "invisible" to people outside that bubble. There's a lot of turbulence when you pass through the edge of that bubble. Maybe Ben changed the bubble, thus making the island invisible yet again except for anyone who knows exactly how to enter the eye of the bubble.

And yes, it's all just speculation for fun, not tearing the show down due to logic flaws.

Oh, and my take on the theory about the helicopter being out of range while the freighter still being in range due to the helicopter being higher, well, in my mind's eye, we've never really seen the helicopter flying all that high, and there are points on the island that are way above sea level. I think any event that engulfs all of the island from a height standpoint would also engulf the helicopter.

Has there been dialogue in the show about moving the island? I can no longer remember if I've heard characters in the show say it (Ben?) or just people here.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i've always thought that the Island moving geographically was a given; otherwise why would it take Widmore so long to find it? i'm assuming when he left the Island (or was taken off), that it moved in the same way.

also, when Ben and Charles have their infamous chat, Widmore says he'll find it (the Island) again. if the Island is only moving in time, he'd have to have a time machine.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have a question that I will spoilerize because I don't remember if it is something from the episode or the preview:

How does Ben know Jin is alive? We saw Ben leave the island at the end of last season. Has he been in contact with people from the island? Who? How?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Remember that the Oceanic 6 storyline is 3 years removed from the events on the island (time travel notwithstanding). Thus, it is entirely reasonable that Ben has some knowledge of events on the island.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

There's been lots of talk about moving the island in the show. When Locke came out of Jacob's cabin, and Ben asked him what Jacob told him, he said "We have to move the island."

Later Hurley said to Ben "If you can move the island, why didn't you do it before these guys on the boat showed up?" To which Ben replied "Because, Hugo, moving the island is very dangerous, and only used as a last resort."

My own personal theory on how everything is going on is thus: When Ben turned the wheel, and the big flash in the sky happened the first time, it affected everything except the helicopter. For whatever reason, the helicopter wasn't involved, but everything else, the freighter, the zodiac, Jin's "raft" the island, moved BOTH in space and time.

This had the effect of from the point of view of the people in the helicopter, everything disappearing. They are now in open water with absolutely nothing around.

Why wasn't the helicopter included in this, but the freighter and Jin were? Maybe the effect "radius" was like a "blanket" over the island and surrounding waters, affecting only things up to 100ft above ground and sea level, but extending out past where the freighter was. The helicopter was above this level.

Now on the island, there are two categories. Things that are moving in time, and things that are not. In the category of things moving in time are the living people left from Oceanic 815, Juliet, Charlotte, Faraday and Miles. Also in this category are any non-organic objects that they interact with: Clothes, backpacks, the zodiac, the bullet in Locke's leg, Richard's compass, the skiff used in this weeks episode. This is explained by Juliet in one of the earlier episodes "Looks like whatever we take with us is along for the ride."

In the category of things that are NOT moving through time are man made objects, such as the hatch, the beach camp, the freighter, jughead, etc. Also in this category are the Others, and any other living people that are native to whatever time they happen to show up in.

This is why the freighter does not appear to Sawyer and Juliet when Ben turns the wheel. It has moved geographically with the island and everything else, but they have gone back in time to a point where the freighter hasn't come to the island yet. The exact same thing as the beach camp disappearing.

The only thing in my mind that hasn't really been explained is why the Richard and the others aren't traveling around in time with them, but Juliet is. Probably just a plot device, but who knows.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

Juliet is not really an Other. Neither is Ben. Both came to the island later, and do not seem to share some of the properties of the real Others, like not aging and superhuman speed/strength.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, that makes sense, but then we would have to assume that all the other people that were taken off of 815 and brought into the group of Others are now also hopping around in time, like Cynthia and the children, etc.

I guess that's happening off screen, and may not be brought up?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

EricW

Senior HTF Member

aside from Richard, we don't know how many people are true indigenous "Others". the Island seems to just pull people in that get recruited. in the flashback with the young Widmore, he had a british accent while the guy he killed did not. i don't think either of them are the Island's original 'race'. i think the Island just arbitrarily chooses who jumps with the Island (friend) and who has to start shifting continuously (not friend).

do we know that the freighter moved? did the Helicopter people say it was missing as well? it could have been left behind like the chopper. Sawyer would have thought it disappeared just like he would have seen the chopper disappear if it had been in range of sight.

the only inconsistency i see is when the Losties shift forward in time, they are shifting to the Island's future geographic location, while when they shift back in time, they are in the Island's original geographic location. but it doesn't really bother me.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Remember that a "sanctuary" has been referenced at least a few times, these past few seasons. Perhaps there is a spot on the island where the Others go to escape the side-effects from the "measure of last resort." The person who turns the wheel, alas (Ben, in this case), is not protected.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
yeah but wasn't Locke right with the Others when he first jumped and the Others didn't?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Right, I guess I should have been more clear. Perhaps the sanctuary protects "non-natives," from the effects. Of course, it's all just conjecture, but at some point I hope we see this "sanctuary."

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Do we know for sure that the Others aren't jumping around too? I mean, just because their past selves were visible back then, doesn't mean that their present selves aren't jumping around too. Not sure I think that's the case or not, just throwing that idea out there.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
sure why not, they could be jumping to different times then the losters.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
The smoke monster is apparently a way the island performs "course correcting" if any traveler attempts to change destiny, while the 'sickness' relates to the traveling process itself. What was not clear is why some people get the sickness and some don't. The last episode answered that question with 'people who were born on the island don't get it.' By this reveal many viewers now believe Dr. Marvin Candle's son is Miles (recalling the opening scene with the skipping record and Candle with the baby).

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
On the audio podcast they say that Jin has been floating in the water and is "inside the boundaries of whatever the skipping effect is." They joke about whether the fish were also transported in time.

I thing the island moved forward in time and possibly moved geographically as well. If the Oceanic 6 are able to catch up to it in those "70 hours" then it could that is when (and where) the island moved to. Or at least that point is the next stable point where they could reunite now that they might be in a position to do so.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I also think the island is moving geographically. Since we saw Ben go to that lady who was using a pendelum device to find the island.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks