Lost season 3 discussion....

JediFonger

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i have both the regular TTT soundtrack and the complete recordings and it appears in the soundtrack. i can't recall if it appears in the film, but it was definitely in the score.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator

Its funny that this is getting debated. Right when my girlfriend and I were watching Lost, I said "hey thats from a LOTR trailer". She didnt believe me so I had to get out my LOTR dvds. I thought it was from Two Towers was and was right. Then you guys are talking about it too.

As a heavy listener of the soundtracks, Im pretty sure they're not on there.

After a good but not great start to the start of the year, Lost has REALLY turned it around and they are pumping out shows as good as anything they have ever put out there

Dave Mack

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
It's NOT in TTT. Jezz, people...
Studios have been using other sountracks for trailers for years.
I hear "ALIENS" music all the time...
I am a HUGE "Requiem" fan and if that music had been in TTT, I would have recognized it.

Found this info. on amazon...

28 of 58 people found the following review helpful:
Not the orchestral version used in the "Two Towers" trailer, May 14, 2006
Reviewer:DarthRad (CA United States) - See all my reviews

Ok, so don't bash this review. I've never seen the movie, and based on its depressing themes, doubt that I ever will. And I'm not a big fan of this CD either.

I bought this CD ONLY because I heard this thrilling soundtrack for a Ronaldinho soccer video that I had downloaded off the Internet, which some people thought was the Overture from Requiem for a Dream.

Unfortunately, as the Amazon website for this movie soundtrack CD does not have song samples from the CD, I had to actually BUY the CD to see if it contained that soundtrack. The closest track to the song that I was looking for was "Lux Aeternum". The rest of this CD, those tracks that did not repeat the main theme from the movie, I found pretty disappointing.

So I did a vigorous search through the Internet, and finally discovered that the track that I had heard was an orchestral remix of "Lux Aeternum", done especially for the first movie trailer for "The Two Towers". A Google search turned up a post on Aintitcool.com by someone with the screenname of Fatboy Roberts who described how two MP3 versions of this orchestral re-mix came into being.

As far as I can tell, this gorgeous bit of music does not exist in a commercially released form. It is certainly not one of the tracks on the "Requiem for a Dream: Remixed" CD. And so although I would actually like to BUY this music, I was able to find it only on Internet file sharing networks.

Use various combination of keywords such as "Lux Aeternum, "Requiem Overture", "Two Towers", "orchestral remix", "Fatboy Roberts" when searching for this piece.

Josh Dial

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

No it wasn't. No amount of your BS will make it true.

As has been stated numerous times in this thread, it's an often-used piece of music from ANOTHER score that just happened to appear in a trailer. In fact, I'm sure it appeared in tens of trailers that year alone.

One year I can recall the theme from Stargate appearing in back to back to back trailers actually.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

It is not in the soundtrack. It may be in the "complete recordings" as a bonus or something, but I couldn't say because don't have that. But even if so, it's not an official part of the score composed by Howard Shore. It is a new arrangement of music from Requiem for a Dream, and it was used in the theatrical trailer for The Two Towers. It was most certainly never used in the Theatrical or Extended Edition of the film. It has a cool sound to it, and I always associate with TTT, but I know where it is really from.

Still cool to hear it associated with a LOST preview (as I mentioned a few pages back).

Robert Anthony

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Hey guys.

It's not in a complete recordings as a bonus. It was never actually released as a complete piece of music at all. Dan Nielsen recorded 3 separate, different 30 second bits of it, re-orchestrated for the studios themselves to use as trailer music. Just recently, another trailer music company did the same thing and released those 30 second bits on iTunes, where you can download them. I forget the name of the company, (Nettwork Music Group, I think) but I think they titled their version "Requiem for the Rings" so look for that on iTunes if you want 3 or 4 disjointed very keyboard sounding movements.

There's a 6 minute "concert version" that has floated around the internets since October of 03 where someone mixed together the Clint Mansell/Kronos Quartet original version, and Nielsen's 30 second pieces/movements that leaked to the internet, and re-edited and remixed them together to flesh out the bits and link them musically into one coherent piece. That person is me, as mentioned above in the Amazon.com review someone quoted.

It's funny that it seems overplayed, when in fact, its' primarily only on the internet that it's used in every trailer. Aside from "Sunshine" and the movie "One Hour Photo" it's, off the top of my head, only been used in the TTT trailer, and again in a Lord of the Rings video game trailer. But because of the penchant for fan-editors online to make overwrought dramatic trailers out of EVERYTHING, the music seems more overused than it really is.

he was wrong, but that's kind of dickish.

Anyway, if'n you guys want, here's the link to that "concert version" I did, so you can enjoy it in all its' repetitive, heroin-influenced majesty
I titled it "The Requiem Overture." back in 03.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tb0f3g

JohnS

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'll get it back on track.

"Catch 22" is tonight and AOL already has two clips up.

one clip is of a helicopter flies over while Jin, Hurley and charlie are telling ghost stories

Qui-Gon John

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

OK, I'll tie 'em together.

Anyone else notice how Sawyer kinda looks like Aragorn. Very similar, although true, not nearly identical, (as Bruce Willis/Jerry Doyle).

JediFonger

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
oops, i always confuse that with the passage of helm's deep. i apologize =).

they sound so similar. aaaanyway, back on topic, what do you think will happen tonight?

you guys getting tired of these flash back devices? isn't it a recommendations from professional screenwriters that you never use flashbacks but this entire series is based on flashbacks?

Mikel_Cooperman

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Oops. you are right. Here is the actual article.

Question: Should we expect one or two more deaths in the final weeks of Lost?— Nick
Ausiello: (Major spoiler alert) Get ready to clutch your pearls: I'm told there will be at least five — count 'em, five — deaths on Lost during the month of May. Meanwhile, exec producer Carlton Cuse offers this exclusive tease about the show's two-hour, sure-to-be-blockbuster season finale on May 22: "Let's just say the end of the season features a showdown between Jack and Locke — a showdown long anticipated and a showdown with an extremely significant outcome for the future of the castaways." Just 35 days to go!

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Haven't they said that about the season finales of both S1 and S2? And hasn't the audience always been let down?

JohnS

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

Actually way back in the begining of Season 3 on one of their VIDEO podast(which they no longer have) the producers had a title for the season finale, which was "Snak in a Mailbox"

Claiming that the title means the season finale is going to convey the same feeling as if you were to open a mailbox and find a live snake inside, that the season finale was going to be that shocking.

Of course now, the season finale has had a name change to "Through the Looking Glass"

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz