What's new

Lost Season 1 ongoing thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
You know, I generally do like the score, but if you watch a bunch of seasons at once like I did before S6 started, you notice that there's not all that much variety at times. I specifically mean the 'walking song' that has been in many seasons' penultimate episodes. They're trekking across the island to do whatever their big plan for the end of the season is, and it's the same song (or very close to it) every time.

It's not too big a deal in general, but when you go through all the seasons in a couple weeks, it's pretty noticeable, in my opinion.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe_H

You know, I generally do like the score, but if you watch a bunch of seasons at once like I did before S6 started, you notice that there's not all that much variety at times. I specifically mean the 'walking song' that has been in many seasons' penultimate episodes. They're trekking across the island to do whatever their big plan for the end of the season is, and it's the same song (or very close to it) every time.
I know what you're talking about but I think it speaks to the quality of the music that you even recognize the cue when you're hearing it again. There's not many shows on TV today where I would recognize any of the music if I heard it again in another episode.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ha. I think I know the music you speak of. It only shows up in the finales, now that I think about it, yeah?

--
H

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Ockeghem, is this your first time watching LOST?"

Holadem,

No. I've watched many of the episodes from seasons 1-3 several times. I'm working my way through the first three seasons again before I move on to seasons 4-5 (and hopefully season 6 on DVD by the time I'm done with the first five seasons). A couple of our children wanted to see it from the beginning. We recently picked up the fourth and fifth seasons on DVD, so we've got a ton of Lost to watch. :)

That 'walking theme' is IMO one of the most haunting and austere melodies in the entire series. It is part of Giacchino's stock vocabulary, which I think is a positive aspect of the score insofar as such repetition allows our sensory apparatus to recall and associate various moods with certain melodic / harmonic formulae. The theme is often presented with different orchestration, and at times has added percussion included (such as in Exodus, pt. 2). What I love about that particular theme is its triadic contour which in shape is similar to the theme around which the entire Die Kunst der Fuge of Bach is constructed. Both themes (the one from Lost and the one from Die Kunst der Fuge) use the same initial four notes triadically (albeit in a different order) and in so doing outline a minor triad {D-A-D-F and D-A-F-D, respectively} that is severe in its simplicity, yet profound with regard to the material that is eventually woven around it. (N.B.: The keys are not identical, but that really doesn't matter. Both themes are within one-half step of one another.)

BTW, we watched Man of Science, Man of Faith tonight. I recall the first time I saw this episode, and heard the Mama Cass track. I believed that we were beginning the episode with a flashback -- LOL.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

BTW, we watched Man of Science, Man of Faith tonight. I recall the first time I saw this episode, and hear the Mama Cass track. I believed that we were beginning the episode with a flashback -- LOL.
When Jack is in the computer room and Make Your Own Kind Of Music is loudly playing, you can hear Kate calling for him.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]That 'walking theme' is IMO one of the most haunting and austere melodies in the entire series."
[/COLOR]
"Haunting" and "austere" are not the words that the theme I am thinking of evokes. I am thinking more "adventure". The rest of you musical analysis is largely over my head, sorry. :D

Is this what we're talking about? (kicks in at about the 45s mark):

That's the theme I associate with those season finale group treks, but I could be wrong.

--
H

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Holadem

Is this what we're talking about? (kicks in at about the 45s mark):

That's the theme I associate with those season finale group treks, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, that's the one I was referring to myself.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by TravisR

When Jack is in the computer room and Make Your Own Kind Of Music is loudly playing, you can hear Kate calling for him.

Travis,

Yes. I seem to recall hearing this one of the times I watched that episode. I will listen for it when I watch it again. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Holadem (and Joe_H),

Whoops -- I thought you were both referring to another theme! It's often played while a group of characters is walking through the woods. The one you two are referring to (the Youtube link) is in an entirely different key, and is nothing like the one I posted about above. I believe the music included in the Youtube link is also used when they are climbing the mountain (trying to get higher to acquire the signal) early on in the series.

I have listened to bits and pieces of about thirty Youtube videos related to Lost. I haven't yet heard the music I'm referring to, but I will try to post the one I was thinking about, if I can find it online. (For those that play an instrument or can hear notes in their heads, and rendering the tune in D minor in 4/2 time, one complete measure is as follows: D - A - D - F - A, where the initial D is a quarter note, then A half note, then D quarter note, then F half note, then A half note.)

On another note [], here is the theme that I play often in my home. Our eldest girl is learning it (the B-flat major tune that I've written about above). It's quite moving. It's unstable when it needs to be, and resolves musically at points were the visual imagery requires it.

Travis,

I believe this is the 'swelling' music you referred to recently, yes? It's what I was referring to, in any event. :)

And for a treat, check out this Giacchino gem (called Jacob's Theme on Youtube):

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hey there Ockeghem, I wanted to post that last theme last night, but didn't want to even mention it by name because well... this is a season 1 thread, and one can never been too careful about spoilers. I believe that even the *name* of the theme is a spoiler (I would have called it "the new theme of the intro of the S5 finale" ;-) ), to say nothing of the picture in the video. Anyway, it is my favorite theme of the entire series at this point, and one of the best things I've heard on TV. But at the very least there should be a spoiler tag with ample warnings. -- H

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

I don't mind spoilers, but out of respect for posters that do, thanks. (And I just realized that I named a season five theme in my post above.)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, it wasn't easy, but I found it. It occurs at app. 8:50 into this video. And here, it is in C minor. :)

Question: If there are any organists on this Board, can you tell me if you hear a quint in this theme? At times I seem to hear one, and at other times, I don't.

Addendum: Okay, it's not a quint. I think it's an A minor triad being subtlely overlayed and played in the same rhythm as the primary (C minor) triad.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched Adrift and Orientation tonight. I never tire of seeing the D. I. film. And now I have seen that man in a commercial (I saw him in one during the Super Bowl, then again tonight).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Well, it wasn't easy, but I found it. It occurs at app. 8:50 into this video. And here, it is in C minor. :)

Great theme that. Probably vanished from later seasons as well. And the imagery, with the rain in the jungle, or Locke on the beach, is just perfect for it. Again, part of the that atmosphere unique to S1 that later seasons lost.

That other theme still hasn't been spoilarized?

Thanks.

--
H

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Holadem

Great theme that. Probably vanished from later seasons as well. And the imagery, with the rain in the jungle, or Locke on the beach, is just perfect for it. Again, part of the that atmosphere unique to S1 that later seasons lost.

That other theme still hasn't been spoilarized?

Thanks.

--
H
Holodem,

Please take a peek at the post with the spoiler and tell me if I've hidden what you're referring to. Thanks. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched Everybody Hates Hugo and ...and Found tonight. It sure didn't take us long to get back to The Other 48 Days and Collision. We saw both of these episodes only a couple of weeks ago.

It was really interesting to rediscover that Ana Lucia is dropped into the pit (undercover) before we see The Other 48 Days. I had forgotten that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched Abandoned last night, and will be moving on to The Other 48 Days (one of my personal favorites) and Collision next.

I have to say that I appreciate Maggie Grace's acting abilities. I have noticed quite a range, especially when she's in scenes consisting of heart-wrenching moments like having to deal with Boone's death or when she is having exchanges with her cruel step mother. During the show's first eight or nine episodes, I saw a whiny young woman with more than one axe to grind. But during her moments with Sayid, her expressions are varied and her reactions toward his genuine caring for her are quite impressive. We loved the scene where she doesn't accept the money from Boone, in which we thought she was superb. She pulled at our heartstrings bigtime last night, and this is to her credit as an actress.

Joe,

Good point. Thanks. :)

Warning! Season Six (6) spoiler information ahead!

I am thrilled to see (from the Lost Season Six thread) that she is returning in some capacity in season six. :)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
You might want to mention that's an S6 spoiler, so that people who have already seen S1 and think it might be about the end of S1 don't accidentally read it like I did. I already knew the info, but just in case for others.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joe,

Done. :)

LOL -- I just realized that I've been posting Season Two episode information in this thread....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks