Lost Remote

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bill Griffith, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Somehow I have lost my Onkyo Remote, no idea how but it is gone and I believe the little 2 year old monster we have running around the house is the reason.

So I have a TX-SR503, which I bought a few years ago and I was running everything off that remote (DVR Cable box, TV, DVD player) it was great and it could learn most anything from any component I ever had. I want it back or at least one identical.

So I do a search and come across half a dozen remotes from Onkyo that all look the same. (ie RC480M up to RC515M)

Does it matter which one I get? Will it come already prgrammed to run the Onkyo Reciever just like the last one?

or

Do I have to get the exact same model number remote to ensure it will work identically?

Your help is appreciated.

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Why not go with a better universal remote like the Harmony 880?

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I was going to suggest the same thing, but then remembered that my universal doesn't do all of the functions of my receiver's remote. I had to use the learning function for some of the buttons I wanted to be able to use more often.

However, I've never used anything as nice as the Harmony 880, so perhaps that one covers more of the functions than the cheaper universals I've used.

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

the manual should tell you which model remote - in fact your dealer should have spares

5. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Sam's Club has a Harmony 628 remote.
    It normally sells for about $130, but Sam's has it for about $70. I don't own one, yet, but I hear the Harmony can do anything your original could.
    Good luck with whatever you get! [​IMG]

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

the problem with leaarning remotes is if the preset codes don't do 100% of the functions, you still need to teach them the remaining functions. which you can't do if you've lost the original remote

7. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

But the Harmony remotes are different. they are not just a preprogramed universal remote that you would punch in a 4 digit number. You download the specific information you need from Harmony direct. Their support is great and I'd bet that if you contact them they could get you a remote that would have all the funtcions of your original plus some.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you can find out which remote it is, you might try to eBay one.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

10. Bill Griffith

All great responses, thanks for the advice, but none actually answering the questions.

No Manual, but will check with a local Onkyo dealer, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll know what I need.

11. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

so, your tx-sr503 remote supported macros and learning? Interesting. I have the tx-sr502 and found that the ergonomics were nice, but it couldn't control my more unusual devices, nor could it offer one button control.

Whereas if I installed a motor to control my curtains, and automatic dimmers, I could set up my harmony to do the following, with the touch of a single button.

1. Turn on the TV.
    2. Turn on the DVD
    3 Turn on the receiver.
    4. Switch the receiver to the correct input.
    5. Switch the DVI switch to the DVD input,
    6. Dim the lights
    7. Close the curtains.
    8. Turn off the fireplace
    9. Play the movie.

The Harmony I have isn't perfect--not nearly enough hard buttons, and it lacks a joystick. But it's closer to perfection than the onkyo remote.

Still, if you prefer Onkyo, they will sell you a macro capable, learning remote for $129. Looks a tad nicer than the standard TX-SR503 remote, too.

If you want the original remote, you can also buy that.

12. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

If you've only used a "universal remote" that came with a system, you haven't really used one. The Harmonys are much better. You will be able to put all of your other remotes in a drawer. I've had universal remotes that came with my receiver and HD tuner, and they controlled everything I owned. BUT ... I had to keep the other remotes handy to perform certain functions; I had to look at the remote (away from the screen) to locate buttons; and worst of all, I had to push one button to select the device I wanted to control before pressing the button to execute the command I wanted when switching between devices - very cumbersome. The Harmonys work much better than that. It's like tivo. Until you try one, you just can't know how much better it could be.

Try this -- you can get the Harmony 676 for $125 from amazon, and here is a $50 rebate form. If you don't like it, return it in 30 days. Amazon pays the shipping both ways.

13. Bill Griffith

Yes on both, it had 2 macro functions which I never used, and I was able "teach" it anything from any of my remotes.

I don't have automatic dimming light I don't have automatic curtains, I have a TV, and Reciever, a DVD player and a DVR Cable box. Thats it.

I can't look up the model number of the remote as I don't know which it was. When I do a search on the remote for my reciever I get a bunch of different choices. The newer remotes for my reciever don't look anythgin like what I had.

As I said in my first post thie are about 6 different remotes that do look the same, RC480M up to RC515M. My questions very simply put I thought was.

1)Does it matter which one I get or do I have to get the exact same model number remote to ensure it will work identically?

2)Will it come already programmed to run the Onkyo Reciever just like the last one?

As I've never had to replace a remote and I don't know anyone that had, I figured maybe someone on here could help out.

Trust me if I wanted another remote I would be all over one from the Harmony series, as 2 of my friends own them and they are very nice. I have nothing against them.

I want an Onkyo remote as close to identical to the one I had. And I have a couple of questions thats all.

Please if you can answer my questions I would love to hear it, but stop trying to sell me on something I don't need and don't want.

14. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

If you are looking for the exact duplicate, then go to the manufacturer website like a poster suggested above, heck he even gave you the link, what are you waiting for?

15. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yeah, just email or call the company with your serial #, they should be able to know EXACTLY which remote came with your receiver.

16. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

ok. no need to be hostile. I'll explain my line of reasoning.

You say you have an Onkyo TX-SR503 receiver. But you also say that the remote has two macro buttons, and can learn new commands.
    I've just downloaded the TX-SR503 manual. There's no mention of either feature. (Macros allow you to assign a series of actions--e.g turn on the tv, turn on the dvd player, switch to dvd input, turn on cinemafilter,,,-- to a single button push; Learning allows you to record another remotes codes: useful if your new component postdates the remote control, or if you have obscure equipment.)

The manual does have an illustration of the remote. It's labeled "RC-607M".
    [​IMG]
    It sells for $20.35 from shoponkyo.com

But it doesn't seem like a particularly well designed remote. It looks rather downscale compared to, say the previous year's model. TX-SR502.

[​IMG].

Rather well crafted. Too bad it doesn't run my HDTV tuner....

I mention this because it's entirely possible that either you don't have the 503, or the dealer slipped in a more upscale remote-- superficially similar to the 502's.

If you still want the RC-607M, you can buy it here.

As for whether the TX-SR503 will run off any old Onkyo remote, it's entirely possible. When I downloaded the remote codes for my TX-SR502, it was pretty obvious that it shared some codes with higher priced receivers. I wouldn't rely on this, however.

17. Bill Griffith

Unfortunately I did this, no response to e-mail yet going on 8 days, and after being switched from person to person the person I spoke with on the phone was not the most helpful or sounded like he new what he was talking about.

The 2 pictures your showing are of newer model remotes I believe. Mine is a few yeras older.

[​IMG]

As you can see on the top of the remote are 2 macro functions, but like I said I never programmed them. The problem I am having is that there are around 6 models that look like this one.

18. Bill Griffith

Hahahahahaaa, this is too funny, not that I think it will help any.

But my reciever is the Onkyo TX-SR600, not sure why but I always thought I had the 503, thats just wierd. I would have bet money I had a 503, and I hate betting.

19. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The Onkyo RC-515M remote shipped with the Onkyo TX-SR601/701 receiver.

Here's where I'm confused. The TX-SR503 receiver came out in April 2005. The SR601 is a 2003 model. Why would you have a remote that's two years older than your receiver?

20. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The 480:
    [​IMG]

The 515
    [​IMG]

what's the difference? Apparently, not much. Look at the "mode buttons". Buy the one you remember.