What's new

Lost remote control (1 Viewer)

kbf419

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
I have an old Hitachi projection TV model 57uwx20b. I have lost the remote control. Is there anyway to access the "Aspect Ratio" and "virtual HD" functions without the remote? There is no option in the on-screen menu and I have tried various "universal" remotes, but have never found one that will operate these functions.
Thank you so much for your time!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can sign up at Harmony and enter in your TV model. The configuration software will show you every remote command available. If you find the aspect button in the software, then the Harmony remotes will control that feature of the TV.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
There are also places online that sell just remotes - many of them OEM. I purchased a new OEM for my Onkyo remote that died (too many drops onto the hardwood) for a very reasonable price - less than $30. Google it and see what you come up with.

kbf419

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
Thanks for the advice. But, since this TV is so old, I am not going to buy a new remote for the unit. I don't really see the point in it since my Uverse remote does ALMOST all that I need. I though that there was someway to access something like a "master menu" or what have you, perhaps by pushing several buttons at once or in a particular sequence.

Thanks again

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Universal remotes sold under the "One-For-All" name have some abilities to send additional commands through a key press combination or "keymove" with an "EFC". These remotes and terminology are discussed on a site known as "JP1".

The file section has a .pdf list of compatible remotes.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5515

The file section also has an upgrade file for Hitachi Ultravision that includes commands for the functions you are looking for as well as some that will go straight to the one you want without having to step through each one to get to the next. (discrete versus toggle functions)

Basically you would take the remote, enter a code that works with your TV for most functions.

To transmit an extended function you would press the "setup" key followed by 3 or 5 digits (depending on the remote) and the remote would send the special command on the last button press.

For instance, on my URC6131, I would enter the Hitachi code from the booklet. I would press "setup, 0, 7, 4". On my RCA RCRP05B I would press "setup, 0, 0, 0, 7, 4"

As I pressed the 4 , the "aspect" command would be sent.

While this is fairly cumbersome, there is a way to assign that command to any specific button you would select. (called a keymove)

With the proper interface devices, these remotes can be heavily modified to do almost anything but for your purposes, a simple keymove can usually be done with just the buttons on the remote itself. There are a lot of people there willing to help as long as you willing to put in some of your own effort.

kbf419

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin
Thanks again. If I decide to buy another remote, I will keep that in mind. But I thought there was a way to do it with the buttons on the front of the unit

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks