Lost multi region after XP update!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil T, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Neil T

Neil T Auditioning

I installed a fresh install of Win XP Pro a while ago on two machines and using either Region killer or DVD genie had no problems running any region.

Recently I tried to run a region 1 disc which I hadn't done for a while to find that Power DVD XP kept asking me to change the region on the player.

A friend reckons that this happens if you download the XP media player update for snow white fix. I have located this update and removed it but still can't get DVD genie or region killer to work!

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated guys

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Did you flash the DVD-ROM player? Try flashing the player with a RPC-1 version of the firmware... although why you didnt have to do this before, I dont know... to the best of my knowledge, I dont believe XP has any additional region protection other than what the software player has, and what the DVD-ROM has.

Remember, DVD Genie only resets the software players' Region protection. For Power DVD (and I assume all other players), this is a value that is stored in the registry. You can also reset this manually. Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECyberLinkPowerDVD. You will see a value called "RPC" followed by a hex number. You can simply change this number to switch regions (as many times as you want). This is what DVD Genie does.