What's new

Lost interest. (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Now that Im 16x9 and region free, I shouldnt need any upgrades either.

I still have my Tuesdays lists though, but its gotten to the point where its very little.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I used to buy almost every DVD that was released. Nowadays I only buy a very few.

My biggest problem is that I tend to have rotating interests and hobbies. One month it may be knife collecting, another DVD collecting, then power tools, then audio, then PC's, over and over and over. The same goes for music taste too. For the last 4 months I've been on a classical music kick. Now it's starting to fade even though summer to me is a great season for classical music.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The best thing about everyone getting rid or not upgrading their equipment is that when HD-DVD/blu-ray rolls around we can start from scratch. :D

I was so close moving from my 3yr old ntsc TV -> FPTV but I just told myself to save and wait for the prices to come down. Hopefully a decent, inexpensive 1080p solution will be here in less than 2 years.

By that time hi-def, 96/24 shiny discs will be calling your name. ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
glad I'm not the only one with rotating hobbies.
I bought a new DVD player couple weeks ago, I spent 99$ on a panny, I didn't even come search the HTF before I bought it and I don't know if it suffers from the chroma bug

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I really doubt that 1080p displays will be inexpensive in two years. There might be a market in two years, but certainly that will appeal to only a very niche market. Right now inexpensive, consumer front projection is pretty much limited to 720p—I don’t even see 1080i in the inexpensive category. In the direct-view category, none of the sets of which I am aware are capable of fully displaying 1080i—even though the electronics are sufficient. RPTV does have some sets that fully resolve 1080i, but even in this category, I don’t think that one can expect that displays will both be made available to the consumer market and the price point will drop to the inexpensive category in two years.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
My interest has tapered off. That being said, I am upgrading my speakers for better quality. (Going from nOrhs to Rockets as the deal I got on the Rockets was too good to pass up.) Eventually I will get a new receiver but perhaps not for a few years. Likely will upgrade the dvd player first and then the display. For the past couple years my buying habits have changed. I mainly do rentals rather than buying a movie. Those movies I buy I enjoy watching multiple times. I started this out with an ultimate goal in mind and that goal hasn't changed. Evolved but not changed. Truth be told, I would be happy even if I didn't or don't upgrade. That is something worth striving for.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
heh heh, I'll try to one up everyone here...

I don't own a TV anymore! Well, that's not entirely true, I have a TV card on my PC. But I sold my nice 32" wega 32FS12, and it will likely never be replaced.

Someday I will buy a good amp and speakers for a stereo (I have pretty cheap stuff right now) but in the last few years my disposable income has been dedicated to travelling, camping gear, etc.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
It's called Adult ADD.:D

I have two hobbies that I'm married to- cars and electronics. I never stray very far. They wax and wane, but I always come back to them.

I've not been using my equipment much, other than endless showings of Thomas the Tank Engine.:) Having two little kids, and no dedicated room, kinda puts the kibosh on LFE room checks. Plus, the limited budget tends to keep everything in check.

I'm occasionally buying discs, but nowhere near the peak years of 98-99.

Todd

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Update - I've done part 1 of my two pronged attack (before selling stuff off). I dusted off my 12 year old analog prologic receiver and replaced my Pioneer 606 DD receiver in the bedroom (yes I had prologic system in the living room, a 5.1 DD system in the bedroom, and a 7.1 all format system in the basement - total ovrekill), and ditched the LD player there. I'm honestly amazed at how good old fashoned analog prologic sounds.

Next step is radical. Box up and sell my CLD-99, Outlaw 950, Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 5 channel amp, and H/K PA2000 in the main theater and install my old Pioneer 606 down there. (buncha nice cables going on sale too) I'll also be removing the 6 and 7 of 7.1 and going back to DD only 5.1 there. Should be fine I think. The only question is do I sell the CLD-D704 along with the 99 and stick with the modest 406 for the forseeable future?

Almost all my dts CDs, SACDs, and DVD-Audios are going on the chopping block. They're great, but I just don't use them.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I feel for you. I have been feeling the same way regarding the home theater, movies, etc. With both my kids getting older and very much involved in sports (practice and games nearly 7 days a week), I haven't watched a movie in nearly 2 months. When I have tried, I usually fall asleep before I get through them and since they are late at night...no turning up the sound. I've rented and returned so many movies lately that haven't been watched, or even opened, I'm almost embarrassed. I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD.

I also have been seriously considering selling off my equipment and speakers just because I don't honestly foresee me using them for about the next few years, or until my kids get old enough to get themselves to practices and games.

Hell, I hardly even visit all the old Theater forums anymore, but mostly because there just hasn't been any groundbreaking type of stuff coming out lately, at least in my opinion....although HD Tivo sounds great.

Anyways...best of luck to ya. Hopefully this will come to pass.

Matt

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I begin my HT experience when I finished high school, back in the, ahem, late 80s. My setup included an AudioSource SS-1 Dolby Surround processor powering a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7's (which I still have). Over the years, I dreamed of owning the latest and greatest components, but never quite achiveing it. Now, I am just contend with good-sounding 2 channel system. Nothing expensive....a total of $1,000. Despite having a SACD player, I am just not motivated to go surround.

Will miss seeing your system, Philip. I followed the progress of your room before the paint job and you having the Onkyo receiver.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I'm about the same, but cars will come and go, replaced by motorcycles, all of the above by flying, which I'm not doing much of these days, I'm in the process of selling my car and buying a beater to get out of the payments, then I'll have the turbo miata, a beater for DD, and a few hundred extra bucks in my pocket every month.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Just a friendly FYI...Philip Hamm bought himself an Infocus X1 front projector a short while ago.

And I just purchased a Benq 8700+.

Losing interest? Hah! :p)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I haven't lost interest in HT but haven't been compelled to keep upgrading and upgrading. After a while I hit a price point where stepping up to the next level of components was ludicrously expensive (at least to me). A lot of high-end companies lately think that all their customers can pay $5K and up for a single component in their HT, which is about twice what I'm willing to spend on any one component.

My next HT projects will be room treatments and/or an integrated programmable remote (such as a Pronto). The actual A/V system has evolved about as much as I can afford, so it's on to the other things, as well as some new hobbies (such as learning to play the piano).

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I thought I had stalled out...content at the moment regarding electronics, but somehow last week I aquired a new digital minicam.

and

....put too much in...now nothing dont' come out...(the dratted subwoofer).

Will be upgrading or rewiring soon in the LFE area.
Hells Bells (a nod to the English Language thread) I was NOT going to upgrade the subw till futher study on the subject, oh well best laid plains :)

congrats to Philip on the FP...great fun!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

Plains? That's a new one! :)

Oh, I also picked up a Harmony 659 remote a few weeks ago, as well as a Momitsu V880 upscaling DVI DVD player to mate with the Benq. :emoji_thumbsup:

Uh...I guess I just need a screen and a hushbox and then I'll give my wallet a rest. :D

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I have settled down since graduating from school 4 years ago. Before that I lived off of student loans and a line of credit. I accumulated a system of about $15K. Then I had to make my own money, pay bills, student loans, car, insurance etc....Then came a gf. This year we got engaged and next up is the house, then marriage. In the mean time, I became interested in photograhpy, golf, and hockey. I still love my system dearly and I have no regret living vicariously in the past. I enjoy my system regularly, but have no desire anymore to look for "airy" vocals or a "liquid" midrange.

I long for a Subaru Impreza STI though.

Lars Larsen:

Do yourself a favor and pick up a D70. I love mine so much. I have had a Nikon setup for about 3 years and the D70 is my first digital camera. Photography is not a cheap hobby either, you may or may not know :)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
best laid plains

Dear Professer Leung. I am “the most ungrateful, wicked girl, and the angels will weep for [me]” That little i , and all its fellows, has its own opinyeon about where it belongs when it leaps out of my keyboard.

I don’t keep rine in spine upon the pline.
I mainely keep these there.

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/graphics/bison4.jpg

:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks