Lost in the depths of progressive scan...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanAlexander, Apr 7, 2002.

1. RyanAlexander

RyanAlexander Auditioning

Hi guys, I'm obviously new to the forum. I'm huge into audio and have a uhh... 'decent' audio system but that's aside from the point that I know a lot less about video. The thing that really has me clueless is progressive scan. I've done a search on the threads and looked through the newbie primer but could find little to satiate my desire for knowledge. So here's a few questions I have...

A progressive scan DVD player puts up how many lines of resolution on an HDTV? (is that even a good question?)

Does a progressive scan (PS) DVD player look worse on a regular TV set and can it handle the signal?

I've read in a few places but still don't understand the underlying differences between PS and Interlaced.

Any other information you guys could help me with about PS and interlaced would be much appreciated. If you have links with this info already posted then i would love to have them.

Thank you so much!!!

Ryan

2. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Ryan -- in answer to your first question:
    Progressive Scan does not produce more lines of resolution than interlaced. A progressive scan DVD player will convert an interlaced signal (such as 480i) to a progressive signal (e.g. 480p). More simply, what it does is it creates a full frame of the signal rather than having two fields interwoven (or, rather, interlaced) together. By doing this, progressive scan eliminates many of the artifacts created by an interlaced signal. Examples of such artifacts include jaggies on edges of certain objects (like metal rails on a ship's deck).
    In answer to your second question:
    A regular TV set will not handle a progressive signal. It won't look worse because, quite simply, the signal will not be received by the TV. You would need a progressive scan-capable television set (like Toshiba's H81 series or Sony's XBR WEGA series) in order to view a progressive signal output.
    If you'd like more information about progressive scan vs. interlaced, check out this link:
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.40

3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Ryan,
    Read through the info on this site. I think it'll help.

4. RyanAlexander

RyanAlexander Auditioning

Thanks for the help guys, those links were exactly what i was looking for.