1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost In Space: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    As long as it is tastefully done, and I still have access to the originals, it doesn’t bother me either way. After a few minutes, I no longer see the bars on either side.

bmasters9, Jeff Flugel and BobO'Link like this.
  2. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Curiosity got the better of me as I spotted the LOST IN SPACE complete series in widescreen DVD in the local WalMart. For a $20 bill and some change, I satisfied that curiosity.

I was interested to find out which was a better "widescreen" image, the Blu-ray set on Zoom, or the new 16:9 DVD. The answer is that there isn't too much difference during the heart of the programs. The only place I saw any difference (and remember, this is a spot-check - obviously I haven't had time to appraise all episodes) is that the end credits seem to have been widened so that nothing is accidentally chopped off the top and bottom. One remaining weirdness is when the 20th Television logo appears, it's zoomed in and chopped off, looking pretty bad.

I set about finding a random image with which to compare the Blu-ray with the new DVD. I selected Season Two, Disc One, and the tail-end of the first episode "Blast Off Into Space". The image I selected came from the teaser to the following week's episode.
    [​IMG]

When I compared it with the Blu-ray, blown up with the zoom function, I got a nearly identical image, with just about the same amount of detail, since the zoom function magnifies the imperfections in the picture. If anything, the DVD looked a tiny bit smoother in this regard.

But then of course all bets were off when viewing the Blu-ray at its proper 4:3 ratio and the picture's sharpness looked proper, and the top and bottom of the screen were properly viewable.

The framing on that particular picture doesn't look too bad at all, but there are other images that crop up: like this close-up:
    [​IMG]
    ...that you just know wouldn't have been the director's intent.

The packaging of the DVD set is actually better than the cardboard mess that the Blu-rays came in. I long ago moved those discs to multi-disc keep cases.

Extras on this new set are nowhere near as extensive as on the Blu-ray set. There are no commentaries and none of the special "altered" or "fixed" versions of episodes, and none with original commercials. The original pilot is included, but it says "short version" and times out around 44 minutes plus.

Network promos and bumpers that ARE included are in 4:3, and this set includes the LOST IN SPACE FOREVER show as well as a BEHIND THE SCENES OF LOST IN SPACE FOREVER.

All in all, its an interesting addendum to this series' home video life, and my curiosity is now pretty well satisfied. If I get a hankering to watch a LOST IN SPACE in widescreen, I might dig this out. Or I'm just as likely to put on the Blu-ray and hit ZOOM once in awhile.

3. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Can you check and tell me if they still went with the pilot version of the “Penny scream” in There Were Giants in the Earth and The Hungry Sea? The music change is completely distracting to me, particularly in the latter episode.

4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That is true-- I've seen the first four shows from my copy of it, and from what I've seen, the logo doesn't move much before the "Television" part appears and puts itself on the monolith.

Still, at least that's there, and not the 20th Television logo of today (as has been mostly on Shout!'s releases [as far as they've gone] of L.A. Law)!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  5. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    You'll need to be WAY more specific in your instructions. :)

6. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Hmmm, okay, in the unaired pilot, when Penny sees the hanging mummy, she screams. In the shorter version and in the footage used in the two episodes, a more restrained “oh!” was dubbed over.

For the Blu Ray releases, they put the original pilot scream over the footage used in Giants and Sea. But it wasn’t just the scream, it had to include the music sting heard in the original pilot. It is especially obvious in The Hungry Sea as it goes from John Williams’ original score to the sting and back.

I was hoping the DVDs would restore the original sound mix. It’s one of the very few problems I had with the BD set

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Here's what I hear:

In both "Giants..." and "Hungry...", Penny's scream is loud. Definitely not an "oh". In both, I didn't specifically notice what score pieces you're referring to, but I CAN say with authority that the music used in the unaired pilot is from Bernard Herrman. The cue is "The Quarrel", written for GARDEN OF EVIL. That cue was often used in THE TIME TUNNEL.

8. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Addendum: I'm not sure if I made it clear that the "widescreen" frames I examined had no more information on the sides than does the Blu-ray for those same frames. If there is any extra side information that's presented, I have not found it, nor even looked all that hard for it.

But I think its fairly safe to say that if you are watching the Blu-rays, you're probably not missing anything on the side edges.

MBrousseau likes this.
  9. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    May I suggest that you do a comparison of the episode “Condemned Of Space” since both the Blu-Ray and DVD sets have it in widescreen.

bmasters9 likes this.
  10. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    I thought about that, but I would think it would be a non-starter because I'm fairly certain that it was the same master. Other than one being sharper on Blu-ray, I'm sure the image edges would be identical.

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Well, in this scene in the longer version of the pilot, this cue isn't used. In this version, "Nocturne" from The Day The Earth Stood Still is playing and then when Pen sees the corpse, a very tinny - probably not Herrmann (unless it's one of his early TV scores) - cue come up with crashing cymbals and screeching horns. It sounds like a library "shock" cue. It's a bit more prominently heard in the Blu Ray version of There Were Giants in the Earth. The Hungry Sea dials it down a little, but coming out of the John Williams cue, which was reused to often in the series, it should be listed in the credits with the cast, it's jarring.

It's one of two reason s why I kept my DVDs. The other was the missing "whoops Sorry!" narration for the "two weeks" cliffhangers.

12. Message #632 of 652 Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    In my opinion they should have been the default. In any case, they could--and should--have been available as a secondary option using another audio track or video branching. It would have been very easy to do.

13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I just compared the widescreen to OAR, and no thank you. The OAR kills the widescreen version which is extremely cropped on top, and bottom.

It seems the Blu-Ray complete series is no longer being produced. Only available at Amazon through the marketplace. Being a Fox property...now Disney the chances of seeing this again is probably slim to none. On BD anyway.

14. Message #634 of 652 Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Please excuse the terrible screen caps as the lighting conditions, and really old LCD won't do the picture justice. But you will get an idea of the comparison of the two.

Widescreen DVD on top, OAR Blu-Ray underneath

IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I couldn't tell you for the life of me which set is the better watch.

I am interested in the BEHIND THE SCENES OF LOST IN SPACE FOREVER.

Think I missed that one. Which set is it on, the DVD or BD?

Darby67 likes this.
  16. Message #636 of 652 Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Pathfiner

Pathfiner Second Unit

Jeff
    I have the three seasons on DVD which is enough for me

I tend to watch almost all the more adventuresome first b/w season then very much 'cherry pick' the color season two and three episodes for a combined 'color second era' of LIS - with the more cast based episodes like 'Blast off into Space', 'Anti Matter Man', 'Deadly Games of Gamma 6', 'The Colonists', 'Cave of The Wizards', 'Trip Through The Robot', 'Prisoners of Space', 'Haunted Lighthouse', the one where they arrive back in Earth's past and are taken for a UFO full of aliens, the one where Will discovers himself in the future and the Jupiter 2 is apparently a deserted relic, 'The Time Merchant', 'Hunter's Moon' etc...and I conclude 'my version' of LIS with 'The Flaming Planet' which duly ends with them all in the Jupiter 2 presumably on the way to Alpha Centuri etc....(as no proper series finale was done)

not a vegetable rebellion in sight for me...!

the jokier lightweight too camp episodes just irritate me as I always find them very predictable, repetitive and feel the show could have been so much better had it retained the action / adventure initial premise more ..

the weak forumla of featuring just Smith who lands himself, Will (hardly a genius if he's so continually duped by Smith) and the Robot in a fix with aliens played by a well known guest hamming it up just gets so tedious

the second season did go down the 'Batman' route to a large extent tho' there are better episodes too

someone mentioned that also happened with third season of 'The Man From UNCLE' - again only in about half the episodes as some such as 'Her Masters Voice Affair', 'Deadly Smorgasbord Affair', 'Galatea Affair', 'Candidates Wife Affair', 'Suburbia Affair', 'Pieces of Fate Affair' etc were not all camped up

indeed if you watch the two parter; 'Seven Daughters Affair' (aka film 'The Karate Killers') the first episode is largely very camp and lightweight with Terry-Thomas, Telly Savalas etc playing it for laughs...but part two suddenly gets alot more serious in style ....I think this was because supervising producer David Victor ordered them to tighten up the show and stop playing it for cheap laughs, his directive must have come mid way through making that story !

Anthony Spinner of 'The Invaders' then came in for the much more serious toned fourth final season in 1968

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. Pathfiner

Pathfiner Second Unit

Jeff
    Interesting reading through this lengthy thread - both here and on other forums I have visited how so many were NOT happy how Dr.Smith came to be the central figure in LIS

I have seen youtubes and read in books how Smith and Jonathan Harris were the MOST popular on the show...yet many seem to prefer the original premise of more action / adventue and like the episodes that feature the regular cast overall as opposed to just Smith, Will and the Robot - I am included in those viewers too !

for me the entire cast episodes...plus those where Prof Robinson and Major Don West come to rescue Will, Smith and the Robot are the better episodes by far - and the space travel set episodes I felt were the best ones plus a few Time travel and Anti matter world ones too which had more imagination to them

the very silly space hillbillies, pirates, magicians ones were the weakest I felt

I got the view the show split star, central character(s) and hero three ways - Smith and Will were normally central characters, Prof Robinson the hero while the real star of the show was the Robot who got the best lines !!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. Message #638 of 652 Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    The Blu-ray set AFAIK does not have the behind the scenes for LISF - only a segment from LISF
    The Widescreen DVD set (currently $27.99 at amazon)
    Has the "restored in 2017" complete LISF and the behind the scenes as part of the last disc which includes episodes. Wal*Mart has it in some stores for $19.99 that includes a VUDU code for season one OAR and a ComicCon panel with the surviving members of the cast (sans June Lockhart).

19. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    Screen grabs from the first season episode "The Space Croppers" with guest star Sherry Jackson.
    vlcsnap-2019-03-25-22h19m43s935.
    vlcsnap-2019-03-25-22h20m24s808.

I think we can see some very important information is missing from the widescreen. ;)

Carabimero, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    No gams, no sale!