1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost In Space: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ScottRE

ScottRE Second Unit

Scott
    As long as it is tastefully done, and I still have access to the originals, it doesn’t bother me either way. After a few minutes, I no longer see the bars on either side.

bmasters9, Jeff Flugel and BobO'Link like this.
  2. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Curiosity got the better of me as I spotted the LOST IN SPACE complete series in widescreen DVD in the local WalMart. For a $20 bill and some change, I satisfied that curiosity.

I was interested to find out which was a better "widescreen" image, the Blu-ray set on Zoom, or the new 16:9 DVD. The answer is that there isn't too much difference during the heart of the programs. The only place I saw any difference (and remember, this is a spot-check - obviously I haven't had time to appraise all episodes) is that the end credits seem to have been widened so that nothing is accidentally chopped off the top and bottom. One remaining weirdness is when the 20th Television logo appears, it's zoomed in and chopped off, looking pretty bad.

I set about finding a random image with which to compare the Blu-ray with the new DVD. I selected Season Two, Disc One, and the tail-end of the first episode "Blast Off Into Space". The image I selected came from the teaser to the following week's episode.
    [​IMG]

When I compared it with the Blu-ray, blown up with the zoom function, I got a nearly identical image, with just about the same amount of detail, since the zoom function magnifies the imperfections in the picture. If anything, the DVD looked a tiny bit smoother in this regard.

But then of course all bets were off when viewing the Blu-ray at its proper 4:3 ratio and the picture's sharpness looked proper, and the top and bottom of the screen were properly viewable.

The framing on that particular picture doesn't look too bad at all, but there are other images that crop up: like this close-up:
    [​IMG]
    ...that you just know wouldn't have been the director's intent.

The packaging of the DVD set is actually better than the cardboard mess that the Blu-rays came in. I long ago moved those discs to multi-disc keep cases.

Extras on this new set are nowhere near as extensive as on the Blu-ray set. There are no commentaries and none of the special "altered" or "fixed" versions of episodes, and none with original commercials. The original pilot is included, but it says "short version" and times out around 44 minutes plus.

Network promos and bumpers that ARE included are in 4:3, and this set includes the LOST IN SPACE FOREVER show as well as a BEHIND THE SCENES OF LOST IN SPACE FOREVER.

All in all, its an interesting addendum to this series' home video life, and my curiosity is now pretty well satisfied. If I get a hankering to watch a LOST IN SPACE in widescreen, I might dig this out. Or I'm just as likely to put on the Blu-ray and hit ZOOM once in awhile.

3. ScottRE

ScottRE Second Unit

Scott
    Can you check and tell me if they still went with the pilot version of the “Penny scream” in There Were Giants in the Earth and The Hungry Sea? The music change is completely distracting to me, particularly in the latter episode.

4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    That is true-- I've seen the first four shows from my copy of it, and from what I've seen, the logo doesn't move much before the "Television" part appears and puts itself on the monolith.

Still, at least that's there, and not the 20th Television logo of today (as has been mostly on Shout!'s releases [as far as they've gone] of L.A. Law)!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  5. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    You'll need to be WAY more specific in your instructions. :)

6. ScottRE

ScottRE Second Unit

Scott
    Hmmm, okay, in the unaired pilot, when Penny sees the hanging mummy, she screams. In the shorter version and in the footage used in the two episodes, a more restrained “oh!” was dubbed over.

For the Blu Ray releases, they put the original pilot scream over the footage used in Giants and Sea. But it wasn’t just the scream, it had to include the music sting heard in the original pilot. It is especially obvious in The Hungry Sea as it goes from John Williams’ original score to the sting and back.

I was hoping the DVDs would restore the original sound mix. It’s one of the very few problems I had with the BD set

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Here's what I hear:

In both "Giants..." and "Hungry...", Penny's scream is loud. Definitely not an "oh". In both, I didn't specifically notice what score pieces you're referring to, but I CAN say with authority that the music used in the unaired pilot is from Bernard Herrman. The cue is "The Quarrel", written for GARDEN OF EVIL. That cue was often used in THE TIME TUNNEL.

8. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Addendum: I'm not sure if I made it clear that the "widescreen" frames I examined had no more information on the sides than does the Blu-ray for those same frames. If there is any extra side information that's presented, I have not found it, nor even looked all that hard for it.

But I think its fairly safe to say that if you are watching the Blu-rays, you're probably not missing anything on the side edges.

9. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    May I suggest that you do a comparison of the episode “Condemned Of Space” since both the Blu-Ray and DVD sets have it in widescreen.

bmasters9 likes this.
  10. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I thought about that, but I would think it would be a non-starter because I'm fairly certain that it was the same master. Other than one being sharper on Blu-ray, I'm sure the image edges would be identical.

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. ScottRE

ScottRE Second Unit

Scott
    Well, in this scene in the longer version of the pilot, this cue isn't used. In this version, "Nocturne" from The Day The Earth Stood Still is playing and then when Pen sees the corpse, a very tinny - probably not Herrmann (unless it's one of his early TV scores) - cue come up with crashing cymbals and screeching horns. It sounds like a library "shock" cue. It's a bit more prominently heard in the Blu Ray version of There Were Giants in the Earth. The Hungry Sea dials it down a little, but coming out of the John Williams cue, which was reused to often in the series, it should be listed in the credits with the cast, it's jarring.

It's one of two reason s why I kept my DVDs. The other was the missing "whoops Sorry!" narration for the "two weeks" cliffhangers.

12. Message #632 of 632 Feb 18, 2019 at 9:27 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019 at 11:46 PM
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    In my opinion they should have been the default. In any case, they could--and should--have been available as a secondary option using another audio track or video branching. It would have been very easy to do.