1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost in Space *Official* Blu-ray Release Thread -- See Post #273 for Complete Details

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by paul_austin, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Pauli Bradford

Pauli Bradford Stunt Coordinator

same thing happened to me. My order stills stands on my Fox account page.

2. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

True. That being said, though, I really wish the FIlmation live-action shows would get a fresh DVD release in a PAL country (the UK preferably) with the English language tracks.

Why, you ask? I recently imported the R2 Spain release of Ark II. While, unfortunately, it's Spanish-language only, when I compared it to the US release, besides being a slight step-up in picture quality, there was also the added perk of more picture area, because one consequence of the PAL-to-NTSC conversion required for the US release resulted in a slight zooming/cropping of the picture area that is in the PAL masters.

Really wish that Spanish release had retained the original audio tracks as extras!

I think the only PAL release of these properties in English was two "volumes" of Jason of Star Command (i.e. not the whole run. It probably just comprised the first season).

3. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    I'm nervous about the amount of discs in general. With the season broadcast episode count being 29+30+24, I was really hoping we would see the episodes on 22 discs (8+8+6, or four episodes per disc), and, if necessary, a dedicated video bonus disc, for a full count of 22 or 23 discs. If we shave that to 18 discs, then some discs are going to have to have five or more 50+ minute episodes, in addition to sharing bonus content, which could obviously be more compressed, but is still going to take up room, especially if it's new and in HD resolution.

Obviously, at seventeen discs, we are slightly worse off, as far as the main programs are concerned.

If I had to guess, I would say the layout of this 18 disc set right now is planned to be:

Discs 1-5: 5 episodes each

Disc 6: Final 4 episodes of Season 1, DVD extras, possible new extras

Discs 7-12: 5 episodes each

Disc 13: Final 5 episodes of Season 2, DVD extras, possible new extras

Discs 14-17 5 episodes each

Disc 18: Final 4 episodes of Season 3, DVD extras, last of the new extras

My preference would be:

Discs 1-7: 4 episodes each, DVD extras as relevant

Disc 8: End episode of Season 1, possible new HD/SD extras

Discs 9-15: 4 episodes each, DVD extras as relevant

Disc 16: End 2 episodes of Season 2, possible new HD/SD extras

Discs 17-22 4 episodes each, DVD extras as relevant

Disc 23: (If necessary) Any remaining HD/SD extras

Remember, this isn't modern digital content that can compress well, but 1960s 35mm film, which is loaded with grain and deserves a fabulous presentation. That's why I was so pissed with how WB treated the Batman set. That show is on 12 of 13 discs, and three of those discs are BD-25s! The average video bitrate is apparently less than 15 Mbps, which is less than half of what the Blu-ray format can deliver. I'm sure it looks "fine", but I'll always wonder if it could look better than "fine" had WB used as many discs for the BD as they did for the DVD.

Don't get me wrong, this clearly isn't Batman (for one thing, Fox has delivered on lossless DTS-HD MA Mono), but at the same time, I am just slightly apprehensive that Lost in Space won't look as good as it could with a few more discs. After all, it's not like it will get another chance at a Blu-ray release.

Having said that, if anyone from Fox sees this, I've already ordered the set, and I'm overjoyed that this is coming out at all. Regardless if the amount of discs increases, I will still be keeping my pre-order. :)

4. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    Just checked my order . . . still shows the $69.99 price and the status as "processing". I don't have online credit card account access, but I will assume from reporting on here that my credit card will be billed in September.

All of the news coming out about this indicates this is going to be a spectacular release. I am really looking forward to September, which now seems like such a long way off. ;)

5. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    I'm wondering, should we not "sticky" either this thread or the TCFHE press release thread here?

After all, this release is kind of a big deal this year...

;)

6. youworkmen

youworkmen Supporting Actor

david
    Why is Kevin Burns excited that the last B&W episode will fade into the cliifhanger for the first colour episode? This already happens on the dvd release

7. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    And merge with the already existing LIS Blu thread. Having two separate threads that are now essentially saying the same things seems redundant.

TravisR likes this.
  8. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    The only reason I didn't advocate for that is because the press release thread is much newer, and I believe that, because of how the forum software works, it would not be able to go to the first post of the merged thread, since the posts here came first by over two years.

I could be wrong, though.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    No, you are basically right.

Which thread do you guys want as a sticky? This one or the the more recent with press release on top?

10. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Question then: What about combining both threads, and altering the thread title to mark the new post number of the TCFHE press release (similar to the old 1776 thread in the Blu-ray section)?

Might that be a happy medium?

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sean, let me see what can be done. No promises.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

So, the deed has been done! :D

The two threads have been merged and the title now points to post #274 for Ron's post with the official press release details. (If a member would be so kind as to confirm for me that post #274 is correct. Sometimes us mods see different post numbers based on deleted posts, etc. I've had this happen a couple of times in the past. Thanks.)

Hopefully, this doesn't set off any alarms/warnings!

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Oh. I have also made the thread a "sticky."

14. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    I see the press release in post #273

Mike Frezon likes this.
  15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, Harry! :thumbsup: I had a feeling I'd be "off" by one or two.

The title has now been changed to read Post #273.

16. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Thanks guys! :)

17. khemin

khemin Auditioning

Azael
    When was this "Sale"? Nothing was mentioned at the other site and I don't see any dates listed here for that sale, either. Would have been nice to have known except... as usual... only AFTER the fact.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Not sure what your exact point is with your question. The sale was discussed in this very thread. The discussion begins at THIS post and then the further reduction was mentioned two posts later.

The discussion began only a few pages ago (April 3rd).

19. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Not only here, but there is another thread devoted only to the sale announcing said sale right in the thread title:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/339920-lost-in-space-the-complete-series-blu-ray-for-99-now/

That's one of the reasons I try to check out HTF at least twice a day, morning and evening, to stay up on announcements.

20. Classic44

Classic44 Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    I absolutely loved Lost in Space as a kid. Picked up the entire series on VHS through Columbia House, then was pleased to make a more space accommodating addition with the DVD's. The Blu-Ray set will be a nice upgrade, but I won't be chasing the debut price to have them. The one disadvantage with shows like Six Mill and Batman were their unavailability as official sets domestically (I know Six Mill had a run overseas before it hit the states). Lost in Space has been out there for quit some time, so I'm not interested in the "get it first" price tag. I've already been through that experience once with this show when Columba House offered them new on VHS and picked my wallet every month through a subscription. I do look forward though to reading the reviews when it's released.

Randy Korstick likes this.