Lost her to the P&S Dark Side

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Jones, Nov 13, 2002.

1. David Jones

David Jones Agent

I lost her to the Fullscreen dark side this morning. Here's what happened...in Walmart picking up my Widescreen AOTC when a very attractive, articulate 20 something lady asks me (an older wiser gentleman) why she should buy Widescreen vs Fullscreen (P&S). A thousand reasons flashed through my mind but knowing I had seconds to convince her, I whipped out a $20 bill and said "let me show you what you're missing with Fullscreen". She looked intently at the $20, then at me. "The whole bill represents the widescreen picture, the way we see it at the cinema, and the way it was intended to be seen". "But it will have black bars top and bottom on my 27 inch TV", she said. Smart lady! "Yes, but see what you're missing" said I, quickly folding a quarter of the bill back on the left and right sides. She appeared interested for a second, then retorted "if I buy the Fullscreen version, it will fill up my TV and I won't have those black bars" and "if the guy's face (Jackson) in the middle of the bill represents most of the picture, I won't be loosing much". Whew, gotta think fast..."yes" said I, but "you will be loosing part of the picture". She seemed puzzled. I knew I had lost her! I thought about giving her the $20 if she'd just buy the widescreen version but before I could, she said she'd just keep buying DVDs that filled her screen till she could afford one of those widescreen TVs. After she left, I thought about it. Should have been quicker on my feet, spoke faster, smiled more, bought her the widescreen version, just have given her the $20. Please forgive me.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'll take the $20. [​IMG] If it'll make you feel better.
    Isn't there a site someplace that has a pamphlet or business card graphic that explains the evils of P&S?

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    When in doubt, pay em off I say. [​IMG]
    Don't sweat it, you tried, afterall you can't save em all. I just hope she's happy with the path that she has chosen. [​IMG]
    To even imagine 'AOTC' in puke n scan makes me violently ill! [​IMG]

4. Jason Little

Jason Little Agent

You'd give $20 to a stranger just so she would buy the kind of DVD YOU like?

That's seriously messed up. You need help.

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    He was joking Jason. He knew he'd lost her, he panicked and had irrational thoughts, it happens. [​IMG]

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Or you could have told her when she does get a widescreen TV, all her so called full screen DVDs will have black bars on the sides, and then she will have to buy the movies over again in widescreen.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I think you should have bought her the widescreen TV!

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

9. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

sometimes you just gotta cut'em loose and kick'em to the curb... she was a lost cause from the get-go.

10. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    David, your efforts are applauded.

What you should do is devise a way to show Pan and Scan with a twenty.

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Just use the words spoken here before:
    "Watch the film, not the TV screen."
    Jason
    PS. You should have thought faster and got that girl's phone number. [​IMG]

12. David Jones

David Jones Agent

Malcolm and Steve,
    Right you are! My mistake was thinking I had lost her when in fact the roots of the solution were in her own words. Should a chance encounter again occur and I have the opportunity, your words will ring out.
    To the young man who believes I'm messed up, rest assured, many who do know me would wholeheartedly agree. Notwithstanding, would you not spend $20 on a stranger to help them see the light?

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

No, wait! You could've been the suave dude and said, "well, why don't you come over to my place and watch it on my big TV?"
    Then you could have had a crumpled $20 and a red hand print on the side of your face! [​IMG]

14. David Jones

David Jones Agent

Dave,
    Very funny. I'm old enough to be her father for godsake! When I was young, we used the line "would you like to come over and see my ""fill-in-the-blank"" collection?". Got my share of turndowns and face wacks. However, a ten percent success rate was considered quite acceptable. For the sake of converting a P&S woman to a WS woman, I might just take your advice...is a ten percent success rate still considered acceptable?

15. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

David,
    As you know, there's nothing wrong letting the ladies know that widescreen is better, and that you're ready to party. [​IMG]
    Jason

16. Denny_S

Denny_S Stunt Coordinator

I was at my local Wal-Mart yesterday, and noticed that their SpiderMan standee was about 3/4 full with nothing else but the Full Screen version. Now that in itself may not seem unusual to many of you guys, but I've noticed that many Wal-Marts in Toronto usually carry BOTH versions of a movie and in some cases (like 'Insomnia' and 'Queen of the Damned'), carry only the WideScreen ones.

Well it's been 2 weeks since SpiderMan has been released and on that day there were TONS of the WideScreen version.
    So, does it mean that at this Wal-Mart the widescreen version outsold the FF ones ? I don't know but certainly hope so. I also hope that those FF ones don't sell and that the store has to return or suffer a 'loss' because they ordered so many FF versions.

17. David Jones

David Jones Agent

Denny,
    Hard to tell how sales of Widescreen vs P&S DVDs are doing without hard data. However, in my area stores which sell TVs are really pushing widescreen and HDTV compatibility...same can be said of print media. Motive is clearly to boost sales of high end TVs but unintended consequence is a more educated consumer (hopefully) who may purchase Widescreen DVDs for use on future Widescreen TV. I'm just happy Walmart and other mass merchandisers stock both formats at competitive prices. And the beat goes on!

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

David,

You could have flipped over the $20 bill and used the wider image of the White House for your illustration. Tell her to imagine that there were characters in windows on either end of the White House doing something, yet she would only be able to see one.

19. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

For your lost one, I may have gained one. I had date Sat. with a friend I've known for years (finally!!!). Anyway, we were talking and DVD's and "black bars" came up. She wanted to know why they were there. I explained how a movie theater is a long, rectangle, and how a TV is more like a square. I said to get the WHOLE picture, you "shrink" the rectangle to fit into the square. She got it right away. I proceeded to tell her you can lose up to 40%(?) of the picture. As an example, I said imagine in the theater there are 2 people on opposite ends of the screen talking. On full screen, the picture must flip back and forth, where widescreen it does not. She was somewhat amazed and said "wow, I never thought about that!" Hopefully I converted her... I'll have to "show" her though [​IMG]
    Mike D.

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm gonna have to memorize what Alex in "Clockwork Orange" says to the girls in the record store- something like "You probably listen to your music on crap equipment- at my place you can hear it the way it's supposed to be, you are invited!" (The "You are invited" part he definitely said but used much more articulate words than what I just put for the rest of it.)