What's new

lost hard disk space (1 Viewer)

Tim_Y_F

Agent
I have a blank 80G 7200rpm western digital 800BB Hard drive and a 4.3G IBM 5400rpm hard drive with windows 98.

Strange things happen....

Using the IBM drive as the boot drive I satrted to partition the WD drive assigned as letter D.

Fdisk claims the drive is only 10G's. Anyway, I partitioned it as one primary partition, skipped formatting and restarted the computer and fired up windows 98. Surely enough, the D: drive as there and windows said the drives cpapacity was 76.3GB when I clicked on the 'format' tab. It was a releif that it wasn't 10G but where was the missing 4 GB???

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
The missing space was used in the formatting process, or the drive space is calculated differently by the manufacturer 1000B=1KB instead of 1024B=1KB.

That's the way it is, there's no way to change it or regain it...

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
All the hard drive manufacturers consider a "gigabyte" to be 1 billion bytes, not 1,073,741,824 bytes (the correct number of bytes in a TRUE gigabyte). This allows them to overstate the real capacity of their drives by 7%. Fortunately, RAM capacity is still sold in true megabytes/gigabytes.

John Wilson

Supporting Actor
Tim,

I think I can explain part of what you saw as I ran into the same issue. The version of Fdisk that was loaded onto your boot disk can onle "see" 64GB max. If it sees anything larger, it defaults to a size that is roughly calculated as drive size-64GB or in yours and my case about 10GB. There is an article on MS's website about a new Fdisk.exe file that should be copied to the boot disk.

If I'm off base here, someone please correct or elaborate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks