What's new

Lost footage of 2001: A Space Odyssey found (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Richard--W

The cut footage does add substantially to the narrative, I assure you.

I barely remember it, but there was an additional scene of one of the astronauts working out his anxiety over Hal by jogging through the centrifuge. Poole's spacewalk wasn't just longer, it was a carefully edited and sustained suspense sequence. Because it was longer, it was more "immersive." I've seen 2001 projected perhaps a hundred times since April 1968 at the Capitol Theater in NYC, and I would love to see it again with the missing 19 minutes reinstated. The article infers that the Kubrick family is against it, however, and against Douglas Trumbull's documentary. That is very unfortunate.

I can't believe there is so little interest on HTF in this major discovery.

I believe that the cuts were made within days of the premiere at the Capitol Theater(Loew's Cinerama) in April 1968. I too saw 2001 at the Capitol sometime in April 1968 but alas it had already been cut.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Wait, whats going to happen?"

Glad to see someone else who also liked that movie! Scott, that article was a fun little read about the cut footage.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If the movie we know today is Kubrick's preferred version, WB could always use seamless branching to recreate the original cut, giving viewers a choice. If Kubrick's family says no, what can WB do? Does the family have any actual ownership in the film?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
As someone who has always had all the patience in the world when it comes to 2001, or any Kubrick, for that matter, I would love to see that idea come to fruition.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I saw it on opening night in Baltimore Md.. Both stars were there, it must have been the cut version becuse I ran it in 35mm where I worked, and it was the same.

Oh yeah it was the Town theatre that ran it in 70mm! I was 14. I worked there about a year latter as doorman for the opening of the Lion in Winter.Then went back to the New theatre where I was an usher durning the hard ticket run of Funny Girl. I was mgr. of The Mayfair 70mm theatre in downtown when all of the downtown theatres closed. The Town still stands, it still has its HUGE CineRama screen and the ground level booth. But the 3 cinerama projectors were replaced long ago. I would love to reopen it as a 3 panel Cinerama, but I had heard that some one got
into the building and left the water on and flooded it. I live in De. now so this would be a major move. This makes me sad.

happy, holidays.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm also curious if Mr. Robert Harris might have anything new to add. In the Thomas Brown article that I linked to above, the author spoke to Mr Harris, he said Kubrick himself told Mr. Harris that he might have the trims in his garage. Perhaps those are the same elements that were found? Nice story above Everett. It would be cool if more of those older theaters were saved. But it seems today, going to a movie is no longer an event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks