Lost, Desperate Housewives on abc.com

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Bob Partovi, May 21, 2006.

1. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

You can watch a few abc shows for free for a while now. Lost features 4 episodes so far. I wonder if you can save them somehow.

2. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I don't think there's any official way to save them, which makes it difficult to download them and watch them while, for instance, on a flight. However, it's still a great step forward.

3. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

it's not gonna last long and will switch to a paid service ala itunes.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It already was/is on iTunes and they also have the free episodes at ABC.com too.

5. Elizabeth_S

Elizabeth_S Agent

Yeah, ABC is not charging for this service...if you want to buy the episodes, you can get the iTunes versions, but if you just want to watch, you can do that on ABC.com for free, as long as you sit through some short ads.. What do you all think of the quality?

6. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

Quality is fine IMO for a missed episode. Since it's streaming, we're not talking "collecting" anyway. It isn't meant to replace watching the broadcast or buying the eventual DVD.

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Dupe

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If you have broadband, the quality is pretty good. The larger size is 700 pixels across, close to DVD resolution; the smaller is 500. No major problems with the compression.

As I recall iTunes is 320 across, because it has to be small enough to make it practical to download, and it is optimized for the small-screen video iPod.

9. Elizabeth_S

Elizabeth_S Agent

Yeah, that's pretty much my take, that the quality is good, but I am not a huge techie...so I wanted to see what you all thought. I was watching today and it looks like they've added the full season of Commander-in-Chief and Alias. Pretty sweet!

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Can anyone provide a link to Alias S5 episodes on ABC? As far as my searches can tell, they are not available anymore. I'd like to know for sure before I buy from iTunes. Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. I found a link that indicated that ABC has suspended their free full-length broadcasts until the Fall.

11. Deke

Deke Extra

I use Linux, and in the early years I managed to save a video stream by accident. Unfortunately I don't know how and I've never been able to replicate the feat otherwise I'd be unging you all to make the switch.