Lost Continent -- Flawed Transfer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Gallagher, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I've looked at two copies of the Image DVD of the 1951 sci-fi flick LOST CONTINENT. Both are plagued with periodic flashing of a translucent "bar" which appears momentarily, disappears and reappears a few seconds later. The bar sometimes appears near the top of the picture, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes near the bottom.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Geez - I was about to order this - this cheezy flick is one of my childhood memories. Hopefully, this is player dependent - what are you using?

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, I noted issues with that in my review.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Golly, Jeff - a little harsh, weren't we [​IMG] ? Actually it is a pretty stupid film, but it's got dinosaurs (and, as noted, not lizards with attachments) and that makes it a must have. You should have noted that as fast as this crew climbed the plateau, it took them only minutes to get down during the traditional stupid-film-ending-earthquake. As the only copy I own (copied from the Family Channel!) is on Beta (looks horrifying) and my Beta machine is broke and I'm not getting it fixed or replaced, this is it.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

And I thought I was the only person who bought this DVD. I'm glad to see I'm not alone although I'm disappointed in the transfer problems.
    I also bought The Crawling Eye which was one of my favorite childhood flicks. The transfer looks pretty nice on it too.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

7. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Apart from the flashing horizontal bars, the video of this DVD is surprisingly good -- which makes the flashing bars all the more disappointing.

This is the first sci-fi movie I ever remember seeing. I believe that I saw it on Million Dollar Movie on WOR-TV (New York) in the mid-fifties.

Perhaps if enough people complain, Image will do something about fixing the transfer flaws.

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The "bars" sound like splices to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if a film of this vintage (which is also public domain) would have some clumsy splices in the print used for the DVD.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

No, I don't think these are splice issues, as they appear within shots and don't look like jump cuts. I'm not sure how to account for these.

10. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Jeff is correct. These definitely are not splices. They appear to be momentary flashes of light, sometimes appearing near the top of the image, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes near the bottom. The film element itself appears to be in excellent shape.

My first thought was that this might be a Macrovision effect, but I haven't tested this particular DVD to see if it is encoded with Macrovision.

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This isn't Macrovision, this looks like a weird source issue. Given its age, I don't really see this as anything other than part of the effects of age. How it got there and what it is I don't know. Call it character.