Lost contents of external (FW) HDD in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_F, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I was just clicking along, minding my own business when I decided to move a small folder to my external drive. I had a couple of IE windows open and was in the process of downloading a large file to my desktop.

I start browsing for my destination. I could "see" the contents of the drive and even got as far as viewing subfolders, but when I attempted to open the desired subfolder, I guess the HDD crashed, because I got the error message that "the disk in drive G: is not formatted, would you like to format it now?" (I chose "no")

I thought this would be the day that Norton Systemworks 2003 would finally earn its keep. Disk Doctor spotted the problem right away, said it could fix it, and asked for a reboot. Done and done. Now Disk Doctor just locks up on launch and My Computer just shows me a "RAW" drive.

I didn't have anything really critical on that drive, and most of it was backed up, but I'll lose some odds and ends that I'd intended to keep if I reformat. The whole drive is pretty pointless if I can't trust it.

The drive in question is a Maxtor 60GB model. I had it "optimized for quick removal", which seemed safer since it had "disappeared" and had to be disconnected and reconnected on several occasions.

Any cheap/shareware/freeware/DIY suggestions?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Have you tried removing the HDD from the Firewire enclosure and attaching it to one of your PC's IDE cables? Kinda risky, but could help if everything else fails.

Your hard drive could have bit the bucket, but you can't be sure. Your PC's firewire motherboard/card could be faulty too.

What make and model is your PC's motherboard? If it is VIA, I'd be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Max,
    Thanks for the response. The board is an Asus A7N8X-DX and the HD is connected to one of the included 1394 ports.

I don't want to open the case, as it's expressly forbidden for warranty purposes.

I think I might get it working again after a format. I probably should have put NTFS on it in the first place.

I was just hoping to recover the files on it (as I mentioned, nothing too critical) if there were a low rent software approach.

I'll probably give up on that idea and try to start over with a fresh NTFS partition tomorrow.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm,that's the same motherboard I got. I do recall a blue screen of death once when I turned on the enclosure housing my DVD burner.

Good luck.

5. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Apparently the drive is junk. When I attempted to format, it just started making a clicking noise.