Lost Battalion-awesome WWI film!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Sweet, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Jason Sweet

Jason Sweet Stunt Coordinator

There haven't been many great WWI films. Besides All Quiet on the Western Front and Galipoli, there isn't too much else. Well tonight at Best Buy I discovered Lost Battalion, a History Channel original movie from 2001 starring Rick Schroder. I had never heard of it, but since I own about every war film on DVD available, I picked it up unseen. What a tremendous war film. It's basically Saving Private Ryan set in WWI, with all it's trench warfare. It's shot very similar to SPR, gore and all. It's effects are on par with SPR, the budget seems very high. The film pulls no punches and is graphic and incredibily realistic. The story revolves around a battalion led by Schroder who becomes seperated and surrounded by Germans while holding a crucial position with no support. It is filmed 1.33:1 for TV, with effective 2 channel sound.

Highly recommended.

2. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Jason,

I also purchased Lost Battalion, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Based on your comments, I am looking forward to spinning the dvd. Another excellent WWI movie, IMO, is the Australian movie "The Lighthorsemen". It is not yet available on dvd, but was available on laserdisc and VHS. It's primary theme is about taking the city of Beersheba from the Turks/Germans. The final cavalry charge alone is worth the price of the movie. Am hoping they will issue it on dvd.

3. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I just ordered it today after seeing it on A&E in December, when it originally aired. I still consider Paths of Glory to be the greatest World War I film ever made.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Jason, thanks for the heads-up. I'll look for it... [​IMG]

5. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

I was a bit hesitant about this film when the original commercials were aired on A&E. My first thought was "Oh no, another SPR clone with the graphic depictions of dismemberment, muted colors (except the blood!), and grainy film.

After watching it, I did find the story quite good. I just wish filmmakers would stop emulating Spielberg's visual style in war films. It's getting old.

8^B

6. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

While I totally agree, this film rocked. It's even better than SPR in my opinion cause the film actually had a drama too it instead of just great looking war scenes. This is one of the first ever made for TV movies that I would go see in the theaters! Of course, something like this can only come from A&E.

7. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I watched The Lost Battalion tonight and would have to agree that it is one of the best war movies ever made. Highly recommended.[​IMG]

8. Jason Sweet

Jason Sweet Stunt Coordinator

I forgot about Paths of Glory. Another good WWI film. The opening scene in Lost Battalion reminded me of Kirk Douglas walking through the trenches. Glad you guys liked it!

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Someone is selling an HK R0 DVD of The Lighthorsemen on Ebay right now.

10. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Mark - I jumped over to EBay and checked out that dvd of The Lighthorsemen. Based on the description, or lack of any detail for the dvd, I'll pass that one up and wait for a known good release. Thx for the tip.[​IMG]

11. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

The description didn't say much. I'm still looking for it on R3 web sites, so far no luck.

I did find a US LD 'directors cut' but its in Holland and $75.