What's new

Loss of TV picture. (1 Viewer)

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
I have my satelite decoder, Sony TV and Sony DN- 1050 receiver all inter-connected via HDMI cables.
On a regular basis the TV picture disappears leaving a black screen. It usually takes a few minutes for it to return.
However, if I switch the receiver off then on, then the picture immediately returns.
I was advised by a home theatre technician to download the latest firmware upgrade, that this would sort out the problem, but it has not. Any ideas anyone?

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
Excuse my ignorance but Is STB a set top box? If so then I have not got one. My sat. decoder is actually a " HD personal video recorder decoder" and I find no setting options
as suggested above for this device nor for my receiver..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes STB means set top box.Technically this hd decoder is a STB...it just has dvr function. Even a Tivo Roamio is considered a STB.Would help to have a model number.And...typical first question...did you turn everything off, before unhooking HDMI to add in the 1050?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the wonderful world of HDMI. I’ve seen this before with audio, but if it can happen to audio there’s no reason it couldn’t happen to video, too.

Maybe Sam can comment, but I’m going to hazard a guess that your various components have different versions of HDMI: 1.2, 1.4, etc. Often they don’t play well together.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
schan1269 said:
Yes STB means set top box.Technically this hd decoder is a STB...it just has dvr function. Even a Tivo Roamio is considered a STB.Would help to have a model number.And...typical first question...did you turn everything off, before unhooking HDMI to add in the 1050?
All devices were unplugged when connecting the receiver.
Someone suggested connecting the STB directly to the TV instead of to the receiver,
and leave the TV connected to the receiver.

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
schan1269 said:
That's fine, if you are willing to give up 5.1.

Back to the other question...

What resolution is it set for?
Actually it's 7.1 audio.

STB is set at 1080i.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I meant 5.1 signal from the STB.

If you feed the TV first, then send audio...you get 2.0.

And on 1080i, you still get blank picture. Odd.

Somewhere the handshake got messed up.

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
OK. Thanks. What is also strange is that it has now been three days since picture last lost, but it usually starts again at any time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks