What's new

Loss of high end (Khz) response.... (1 Viewer)

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
I just moved into a new apartment and finally have my home theater set up and running. Unfortunately, due to the design of my living room, I am forced to put my HT system in a small cubby and catty-corner everything. If you need imagery, picture yourself flat against your fall facing out. Turn your head to the right and pretend that your setup in in the corner.

Since I've set things up this way, I have noticed a severe drop in sound fidelity from both music and movies. Especially noticable, is my tweeter range (i.e. cymbol crashes, hi-hat taps, etc.), and my bass, even though my sub is in a corner. Spoken dialoge from my center channel is also noticably less clear. The room was designed to be set up like this, but I'm extremely tempted to move everything around and put the system up against the long wall where my couch is now. Are there suggestions as to why this. Is this entirely due to speaker positioning or could it also be the room itself?

Scott

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My previous and current setup are both just like this with no problems. I actually preferred it this way because my first reflection points were very far apart. Speaker placement and calibration is important with a setup like this.

If you haven't calibrated the sub for this room, you shouldn't be asking this question. The sub is most likely affected by the room shape/size, and you will need to experiment with location to find a spot that works.

Your mains may have had too much reflection, or just a lot less now, giving you the perception of less highs/mids. Reposition your speakers using Dolby's rules of thumb and calibrate everything with an SPL meter.

Don't assume that where you put your speakers because you thought it was the right place, actually IS the right place for that room. Also, check your settings, as you may have inadvertently changed something. I just did this last night in my new apartment. I couldn't figure out what was up, until I found that "night" mode (Dynamic Range Compression) was somehow turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks