Loss of digital surround sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve_SAL, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Steve_SAL

Steve_SAL Auditioning

Hello, Everyone. This is my first post. What an amazing site.

I've got a problem getting digital surround from both my DVR and DVD player. I've got a Harmon Kardon AVR 520 receiver that has two optical line inputs in the rear and one in the front of the receiver. I can plug the optical line from the DVD into Optical In 1 and get perfect sound in the DVD mode of the receiver. I can plug the DVR into the same line and get perfect sound as well in the same DVD mode. The problem is I can't get digital sound when I have both pluged in to the two optical lines. I've tried switching them and running them through the Video 1 mode. I guessed maybe the 2nd line was bad but the front line isn't getting me the sourround as well.

Any suggestions?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome aboard, Steve. I think you'll get a better response here in the Receivers/Amps section.

Are you saying that you don't get any digital surround at all when both optical lines are being used — and that if you disconnect either one of them then the surround processing returns?

Does the receiver have a coaxial output as well?

3. Steve_SAL

Steve_SAL Auditioning

Jack,

That is correct. I don't get any digital sound if I'm plugged into both lines. Neither the VDP or the DVD mode will provide a digital signal. I do have a coaxial, which I probably should try. I just wondered if anyone has encountered this problem before.

Thanks

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Are the digital inputs assignable? Assign each to a different input, and all should be fine. Most receivers do not automatically recognize the inputs as assigned to a particular source.