losing weight: starting to lose hope

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Thomas, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

For about the past 4-5 weeks I have been going to my school Gym and been working out for about 5-6 times a week.

I always do either upper or lower weightlifting followed by 20-35 minutes of cardio.

According to the scales I have been losing weight (about 5-7 pounds) but whenever I look in the mirror I still look the same and I still feel the same

Anyway, I still eat what I normally eat but I try to eat less of it. I've also been drinking more water and veggies.

how long should it take before I REALLY notice a change?

PS- I am weighing myself tommorow (Monday 4-8-02)

2. Derrick Lee

Derrick Lee Extra

I'm no expert, but I think it'll take 2-3 more months before you'll really notice a change. Also, take into account the fact that you see and live with yourself everyday, and it's hard to notice the small losses (or improvements, if you will) you make because of that. If you meet a friend you haven't seen since you started working out, I'm sure they'd already be able to see a difference...so don't despair!

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Scott, since you mentioned you are drinking "more" water, does that mean you still/do drink pop/soda? Cuz pop/soda is absolutely horrible for you when trying to lose weight. Well, so is beer! [​IMG]
    I would definitely agree with Derrick about not being able to see losses yourself. I have actually been working out and jogging daily for the past couple of months, and didn't really see too much of a difference. But everybody else did. Some of my friends actually thought I was sick. Amazing what exercise will do! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Scott, it will USUALLY take approximately 6-8 wks of regular weight training/cardio before YOU notice a change in your physique -- depending on your initial weight/measurements. Others will notice first.

If you weigh yourself AFTER working out, you may be seeing "water loss" which will be replaced after rehydrating yourself. (Usually, any initial weight lost quickly will be water.) Also, remember that since you have started weight training, your actual weight may RISE initally...that's because muscle mass will increase and muscle weighs more than fat. The increase in muscle mass will actually increase your metabolism (calories burned while at rest) because more calories are needed to sustain muscle. Keep up the weight training and the weight WILL come off, but don't be discouraged if it comes off slowly. What you should really be keeping your eye on is how your clothes fit because you will lose INCHES.

Keep drinking as much water as you can - at least 8-10 tall glasses each day minimum. (For every caffeinated drink you consume, it's best to drink 2 glasses of water.)

Increase your protein intake, decrease carbohydrates & sugars, and dairy. Avoid too much alcohol (it's the most easily absorbed calorie and will dehydrate you).

Don't know how old you are, but be sure to get your pulse & blood pressure checked as well, especially if you go to any extremes with your weight or diet, or if you feel lightheaded after your workout.

Good luck with your program!

5. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Having gone through this exercise myself with other people several times, I've noticed a pattern. First, you will be the last to notice that you are losing weight. Second, it may take about 3 months before you really felt that you are starting to make progress. Third, weight lifting will probably result in increased muscle mass, which is actually heavier than fat so your weight may actually not come down; you will however tone up noticeably. Finally, heavy hiking (up hills with packs) and cardio will do the most in terms of fat loss, along with eating the right kinds of food (dieting NEVER works by itself and is considered by every ethical fitness or weight loss consultant to be unhealthy as a stand-alone method). Eating the right kinds of food, along with the right kinds of herbal supplements or vitamins, with exercise will eventually result in the effects you desire. Don't give up!

BTW; Don't weigh yourself more than once or twice monthly. It is probably a poor indicator of success and depending on when you weigh yourself (morning, after breakfast, before work outs, after supper, etc.) it can be depressing when it doesn't need to be. If you run three times a week, you will run farther and faster after 5 weeks than at the first, regardless of where your weight may be. Keep it up and throw out the scales. Its like trying to watch the stock markets; it will just drive you crazy and often not give you an accurate picture of how you are really doing.

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Scott, how old are you? How tall are you? And, how much do you weigh? (If you don't mind telling! [​IMG])

7. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

Scott-

You said you still eat what you would normally eat, so a good question would be, what do you normally eat?

I have been working out since January and have really altered my eating habits. I didn't realize just how bad my eating habits had been until I started eating better (like eating a large bag of Smartfoods popcorn in one sitting, having double cheeseburgers from McDonalds 3 or 4 times a week, etc...).

As much like an infomercial as this might sound, taking a before picture of yourself is really helpful. I don't notice much of a change in myself when I look in the mirror, but if I compare that to the photo I took in January, I can really see a difference.

Like others have said, don't spend so much time worrying about the weight. I have only lost about 5 pounds in the last 3 months, but it is because I have lost some fat, but also gained some muscle mass. The important thing for me is that I can play outside with my daughter without feeling like I am going to have a heart attack.

Good luck and stick with it.

MikeP

8. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

What Michael just posted is right on target. What you eat has a lot to do with weight loss. Calories are not calories. You need to take a look at the fat content of what you're eating and try to get it down some. 100 calories of apple and 100 calories of french fries are a lot different.

Deane

9. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

hey everyone!!

Thanks for the tips

At the moment I am weighing at 309lbs. last week I weigh around 306lbs. The thought of muscle mass occured to me too but it still discourages me that I am weighing more.

today I just did cardio (burned 500Kcals), tommorow I do lower body + Cardio (muscles will be rested)

I have been drinking less soda and beer, I have one about once every two or three days.

I also been drinking alot of unsweet Ice-tea w/lemon instead of soda at resturants. dont know if that is as good as water but I know its better than soda.

I am not taking any diet supplements, but does anybody know of a good one that will help me through this? either if it helps burn fat, increase metabolism or energy.

I have a low tolernace to caffine since I dont drink coffee.

10. Deane Johnson

Scott:

What would you typically order at the resteraunt you mentioned in the above post?

Deane

11. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

12. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Scott,
    If you're bored with just water, try it with a slice of fresh lemon or lime (or both). Refreshing.
    I know how you feel. I started running every morning three weeks ago and haven't lost an ounce (of course, my diet is terrible). I do feel better, though. What I take pride in most is the fact that I'm able to haul my ass out of bed five mornings a week at 0445 and get out there and run. There were several mornings when the temp was in the 20's, and I've run in rain and on snow a few times...but this morning it was 48. I'm thankful spring is coming.
    Which means that summer is coming fast. Speedo, anyone? [​IMG] Stick with it!! Check in here often, we can support each other. Let us know how you're doing.
    Jon

13. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

Deane,

well my diet can consist of most anything.

First of all, I try to avoid fast food as much possible, I like going to Subway

My two favorite resturant to eat out are Panera and Jason's Deli. Both a rising frachises in there field. I like to eat turkey sandwiches with mustard.

I also like to eat oriental rice w/ teryaki

example

After a sunday workout I ate the following at Jason's Deli

cup- Red beans and Rice

Turkey Rueben- turkey, saurkraut, non-fat cheese, mustard, toasted rye w/ pickle spear

cup-steam vegatables w/ low-fat dressing

serving of frozen yogurt

glass of Ice-tea (unsweet)

glass of Pink Lemonade (was in the mood for it)

anyway this is what I normally eat when I go out

14. Deane Johnson

That certainly doesn't sound too bad, especially considering your excercise program.

Somehow, I'd think that with your excercise and watching the fat and calories, you'd have to drop some weight.

One thing to be careful of is to not assume the calories and fat content of food. Get a book and look them up. Sometimes you can think something is OK when it isn't.

Good Luck, oh, and be aware that the older you get, the harder it is to take off.

Deane

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

scott -

it sounds like you're doing great! you're exercising, trying to improve yourself and it sounds like it's working! that's excellent!

you stated you've already lost 7 pounds! that's a lot if you think about it...

hint: next time you go to the grocery store, pick up 7 pounds worth of hamburger meat and realize that used to be on you. it really helps to visually see what you're taking off.

i'm also just starting to exercise more for cardio/fitness reasons. it's hard work, but i've already noticed i can play longer sets of tennis now.

keep it up, take it in small steps and you'll do great!

16. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Scott, here's my advice, besed on the last 17 months, during which I've been on a fairly rigorous exercise/health routine.
    1) If you're really serious about dropping the pounds, but keeping healthy and energetic, you need to look at sticking to a strict diet, all the time. Firstly, DONT EAT ANY SIMPLE CARBS. That means cut out white rice, white bread, all snack foods etc. Switch to wholegrain bread, brown/basmati rice etc. For snacks, eat fruit. Some of it tastes rather good. [​IMG] Many people assume that losing weight simply means avoiding fatty foods. This isn't true. Avoid fatty foids, AND simple carbs. Your body needs some fat, so don't be religious about it. [​IMG]
    Simple carbs are broken down and releaserd into your body very quickly, increasing your blood sugaa levels rapidly.
    Complex carbs are broken down slower by your digestive system, allowing the release of energy to be much more evernly distributed. This leads to a more stable blood sugar level, and prevents excess energy from being converted and stored as fat. Thus, you'll always have energy, but never too much! [​IMG]
    2) Weight lifting. It does depend on exactly what kind of physique you're after, but if you're more interested in dropping pounds, cut back on the lifting. Maybe some light back, chest and shoulder exercises to give you some shape and strength, but it's definitely better to concentrate on cardio. Stomach crunches and other abdominal work is also very important for stability, so don't neglect it. Warning: don't do any sit ups until you've had the proper instruction! Bad form over an extended period can cause permanent back injuries!
    3) Given we don't know precisely how much fitness time your lifestyle/schedule allows, its difficult to suggest how much cardio to do. I'd aim for about an a day. Then on the days you lift, only do 30-40 mins. But by all means, do more if you can. But don't lift on consecutive days if you've really pshed yourself. Thats how injuries happen. Theres too much to tell you for an informal forum like this, so speak to someone who knows - if you're at a sports a gym, there must be several sports teachers who can give you some tips and motivation. As Peter said, make sure you speak to someone who isn't selling a weight loss product. [​IMG] Avoid the hype.
    4) DO NOT TAKE WEIGHT LOSS SUPPLEMENTS. While they may "work" as in help you drop the weight, they don't promote healthy weight loss. Anything that ain't natural ain't good. And as soon as you stop them, the pounds will likely just slide back on.
    Keep it up. You can do it. After a while, you won't be able to live without it. After about 3/4 month you should be feeling very good about your progress.
    Good luck. Be safe. And check back in soon and let us know how you're doing. [​IMG]

17. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I know how you feel. I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't start to lose weight until I also picked up running. I still eat too much late at night....

18. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I post this to a thread about a month or so ago:

Ok, here is some simple advice.

- Increase your protein and lower your carbs. No junk food(chips, sodas,etc.) Eat more vegies and fruits for your carbs and chicken/tuna/etc for your protein. And needless to say, watch your fat intake...but if you eat healthily you won't need to worry about fat at all. Eat about 4-5 meals per day instead of three big ones. Never skip breakfast...

- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Sometimes when

you think you're hungry the extrawater will help curb your food intake.

- Exercise 3-4 times per week, preferably first thing in the morning whilst on an empty stomach. If you eat first the body will simply tax the food for energy instead of calories that are stored as fat.

- You can do ANY excercise as long as you keep your heart beat at a constant 60-80% of it's max for 35-45 minutes. And you DON'T need to be all winded and sweaty to think that you're excercising! To work out your target heart rate subtract your age from 220 and work out the upper and lower %'s. Studies show that if you stay towards the lower end of your target (ie. 60%) you will burn more fat. Go above your target and you will be working on cardiovascular fitness instead of burning fat. To keep track of your heart rate purchase a heart rate monitor...these can be had for as little as $40 nowadays. Or if you go to a gym they may have equipment with onboard heart monitors.

- As a last resort, try one of the supplements out there like Xenadrine or Hydroxycut. They are known to suppress the appetite and increase your metabolism.

I'm trying to drop an inch or two from around the midsection meself. Good luck!

19. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

The only thing that works for me is to combine healthy eating (and drinking) with jogging.

Drinking water instead of high-calorie drinks (beer, cokes, even fruit juice) is a good first step.

Candy and other high-fat and high-cal snacks are the next thing to go. An apple, orange, or banana make for a great snack.

After that, fast food, fried foods, cheese (and other dairy), butter, are all good things to cut out.

Start the jogging (or other cardio) slowly and work up. No need to kill yourself the first few times out. When I started "jogging" a few months ago it was really jogging 5 minutes and walking 25. Now I can jog 3 miles without too much trouble if I'm feeling good. I'm actually enjoying running for the first time in my life because I'm not killing myself every time I go out. If I feel like stopping to walk for a few minutes, I let myself do that.

The amount of time you are doing your cardio is MORE IMPORTANT for weight loss than how hard you are pushing yourself. 20 minutes of sprinting will not burn off the fat like 45 minutes of jogging.

The most important thing for me about a weight-loss plan is to ease into it and NOT to make major changes overnight. It takes time to lose weight...think about how long it took you to put it on. Long-lasting changes in your lifestyle and your level of fitness will take time. If you try to kill yourself and lose 10 pounds/month, you won't stay with it long. One pound a week over the long-term is an ambitious (but not impossible) goal to shoot for, IMO.

20. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Scott,

I'd suggest getting a book that lists typical nutritional information for various foods. Depending on the serving size, your meal is easily over 1000 cal. If you eat three of those kinds of meals a day, you're looking at a lot of calories. The Teryaki chicken is loaded with sugars and white rice isn't good either. You can make a healthy stir fry version at home (minimal oil, veggies instead of rice, etc.). I'd also suggest eating 5 smaller meals throughout the day. This keeps your metabolism up throughout the day and keeps you from being hungry between meals. I'm a large guy and eat ~2200 cal a day (trying to loose fat as well). For me, eating healthily is far harder than going to the gym.

For fat loss, try to keep your heart rate elevated during weight training (in the fat burning zone). I do 1-2 minutes of intense cardio between each set (ease into this routine slowly). You should also increase your cardio time to 30-45 minutes and switch to a different exercise every few weeks. Mark is correct... time is better than intensity for weight loss.

Keep doing the weights, but increase the reps. You're almost certainly putting on muscle along w. burning fat. Only weigh yourself every few weeks. More importantly, get a body fat percentage measurement (this will let you know how much fat you're actually loosing). 7lbs in 5 weeks is a lot (considering you've put on muscle as well).