losing vertical hold

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Peter, May 1, 2002.

1. Jeff Peter

Jeff Peter Auditioning

Apr 30, 2002
    I have a 9 year old 31 inch Hitachi that has served us well. Recently, it's losing its vertical hold and the screen starts to roll intermittently.

What was really driving me crazy is that some channels and programs seemed worse than others. I commented to my wife that the worst channel seemed to be the one I usually watch hockey games on and she immediately pointed out that it was all the white from the ice. AND SHE WAS RIGHT! Regardless of the channel or program, the whiter the screen the more the vertical hold starts rolling.

Obviously there are no user accessible controls. So my questions are:

Is there a way I can fix it?

Can it be fixed?

Is it worth fixing?

What do I do with a 31 inch TV that's not worth fixing?

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Jul 2, 2000
    Nick So
    Yeah, i have a 13 year old Mistubishi 37" inch TV that does that with a number of other problems...

Its true, brigher images will roll, whereas darker ones do not...

We have found a temporary fix for our TV (Found this switch that like has a brightness boost or somthing, dunno what it is coz my TV is japanese, but it works). Maybe turn down the brightness or something...

Sorry for not answring your question though :b
  3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    Take off the back cover and look for a vertical hold control. While you are back there, look for a vertical size or height control that can be used to do 16:9 mode, if you don't have a service menu control for that. If the controls are out back, you can have a serviceman mount redundant height and vertical hold controls on the front or side panel.
    Alas, when most people have a TV set reach this age and condition, they throw it away. It probably has other problems or shortcomings too, such as incorrigible misconvergence, or inability to have composite and S-video equipment connected at the same time.
    Video hints:
  4. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

Mar 15, 2002
    My 16-year-old Hitachi 52" RPTV (RIP) had the same problem, except that it would roll with dark pictures. I was vexed by the lack of controls to the point where I sold it at the garage sale ($500! woot!) and bought a Toshiba 50HX81 HD widescreen. I spent $300 fixing it two months ago, and figured it was just throwing money away.

I guess this doesn't help you much, though, does it. Sorry. I'd try the suggestion above about removing the back cover and looking for a vertical hold adjustment. Wish I'd thought of that...