What's new

Losing aspect ratio settings (1 Viewer)

Dedalus2k

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Set-up:
Time-Warner Motorola HD-DVR running via HDMI through Onkyo TX-SR606
PS3 with video running directly to Samsung 40" HDTV w/ audio running via optical cable to the Onkyo.

The problem I'm having is that everytime I switch over to the PS3 and switch back the DVR forgets it's setting to stretch 4:3 to fill the screen. I can't figure it out, especially because the vid from the PS3 doesn't even go through the receiver.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Dedalus2k

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Bump bump...
Just a little more info. I exchanged my DVR thinking maybe it had an issue. No Joy. TW cable's techs are absolutely unhelpful. If it isn't on the script they don't have a clue.

If I ran my PS3 entirely thru HDMI into the receiver and back to the screen do you think that fix it? I ask cuz I don't wanna screw with rewiring, my entertainment center is not user friendly, and reprogramming a mess of universal remote settings.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
1) Need the model number of the TV and the DVR.

2) Is a setting changing on your DVR, or is there a setting on your TV for the DVR's input that is getting changed?

3) Why would you want to distort 4:3 material just to "fill up your screen"? The TV has the shape it has precisely so that it can correctly display a number of different aspect ratios while doing minimal violence to the original source material. The idea really isn't to force them all to fit the shape of the screen.

Regards,

Joe

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
And why would you hook up your PS3 via optical when your receiver supports HDMI? You can't use the hi-def audio that way.

Dedalus2k

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Thanks for the input Gents! I think I've got it sorted. I did switch over from optical to HDMI in from the PS3. I saw that the DVR would switch back and forth several times from 480 to 1080 when I switched the input on my tv back to the DVR. Dunno why. But with HDMI in off the receiver I don't have to change the input. Problem solved, I hope. I was running it via optical cuz my brother, who knows quite a bit about this stuff, said that optical cable feeds the same info as HDMI. I did some digging and found that this isn't true.

As far as your question, Joe, as to why I run 480 TV stretched is that over time I've gotten some burn-in on the edges of the letter-box. I know, LCD isn't "supposed" to be subject to burn in, but the fact is in full screen I do have a faint line running down each side right where the edge of the box would be. Fortunately, as I've been running it stretched those lines have begun to fade.

My TV is the Samsung LN-T4061F and the HD-DVR cable box is the Motorola DCH 3416.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks