Los Angeles Macintosh users: What's the best repair center in town?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I need to take my little iMac in for major repairs this Saturday. The hard drive went kaput apparently.

Presently I'm thinking of taking my machine in to a place called Mac Enthusiasts on Pico Boulevard. Any info on these guys? The place claims to be the largest Apple dealer in L.A., as well as the highest-rated service center. However, the outfit's Website looks so damn dinky.

Am I judging a book by its cover here?

I live in the Fairfax District, just a block south of Melrose. I'd like a place nearer by than Mac Enthusiasts, but even more so, I want a place that does good work at reasonable prices. So far, Mac Enthusiasts looks to be that place.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Have you thought about doing it yourself? There are tons of howtos out there on the internet. Do you have a Classic, Rev A, or DV iMac? The only one that is somewhat tricky is the Classic iMac...the DVs are real easy to get into.

3. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jack,

I agree with Kelley. Why not change the hard drive out yourself. Save a few bucks and get some good experience to boot. I just put a new 60GB drive into a Dalmation iMac. Once I got the case opened up it was a breeze.

I bought a 60GB 7200 rpm drive for $80 plus a $20 rebate. I compared that with $149 for a 40GB drive and $75 to install it at a local Apple dealer. A bargain for a friend.

Another good possibility would be to find a local Mac Users group and ask them where to get the hard drive replaced. They should be able to help stear you in the right direction along with the fine folks here on the HTF.

If you have any questions, shoot. Which iMac is it?

Glenn

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer