What's new

Los Angeles Area HTF Members Invited to Fox Screening of THE FRENCH CONNECTION (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
image001.jpg

We set up this screening program to introduce our friends and colleagues to the movies we love. It's also a great way for us to revisit the films on the big screen that are ingrained in the history of 20th Century Fox. We hope you'll join us Thursday, September 26th for THE FRENCH CONNECTION.
The location is kept secret, but we can tell you it's at a very notable location in a private screening room.
HTF members are encouraged to bring family and friends to this event. There is a total of 30 slots available. All we ask is that if you commit to the event, please be certain you can attend. When you cancel, you may be taking away a space that could have gone to someone else.

Here is how you can attend....

1. Send a private message to Ronald Epstein. You will find the private message link below my name on the upper corner of this post
2. Please send me the names of all the individuals attending in your party as they appear on their drivers license. There will be a security check.

You can always see how many slots are remaining by checking back on the number below!

SEATS AVAILABLE

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
That is so cool. Is this the new DCP version, in which Friedkin worked with Roizman and returned the palette to its original (or at least closer to original) seventies color? I saw it at the 2012 Seattle International Film Festival and it looked pretty damn great.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Confirming interest with friends. Will PM soon. Looking forward to this!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
SeanAx said:
That is so cool. Is this the new DCP version, in which Friedkin worked with Roizman and returned the palette to its original (or at least closer to original) seventies color? I saw it at the 2012 Seattle International Film Festival and it looked pretty damn great.
It was the 2011 re-approved Friedkin and Roizman transfer (after the previous disastrous color re-timing) but it wasn't the original color timing. The head of Fox's Library Technical Services who introduced the transfer called it the "final final, Billy Friedkin approved" version> It still looks a little contrasty in certain areas, and the dark indoor scenes had a really odd shimmery effect. Now I will say I never saw the original version (gasp!) so I don't have a frame of reference. I was just judging it based on modern standards.

Very much enjoyed the film though, and none of the visuals were so bad as to take me out of the movie. If anything, I was guilty of "looking for something" because I was passingly familiar with the controversy regarding the color timing. I think if I had been unaware, only the dark indoor scenes might have stood out to me, and even those not so much.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It looked terrific. I was concerned only at the start of the Fox logo which was black and white but slowly got color. Once that was out of the way, the film proper looked great and of the era in which it was shot. Is this the transfer on the current Blu-ray? I only have the first version.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Neil S. Bulk said:
It looked terrific. I was concerned only at the start of the Fox logo which was black and white but slowly got color. Once that was out of the way, the film proper looked great and of the era in which it was shot. Is this the transfer on the current Blu-ray? I only have the first version.
It's the transfer on the 2011 Blu-Ray, not the 2009 Blu-Ray. Buyer beware! :D

From what I've read online, neither BD is representative of the original color palette (the one that won the Academy Award). For the 2009 BD Friedkin created a whole new color palette for the movie, which was met with some extreme negative reviews, including Roizman's disavowment of it. Then they both went back and re-color timed again for the 2011 BD (which is what we saw and is on the newer BD) but it's not the same as the original.

Check out this writeup at highdefdigest.com re: the history of the BD transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks