What's new

Loretta Young Movie Collection: Any Word on One? (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Loretta Young had one of the longest careers in Hollywood history. She began her career in films in the late 1920s, and rose to prominence as a leading lady in the 1930s and 1940s. She won her only Oscar for her performance in The Farmer's Daughter in 1947. Her film career tapered off there, however, and she made a successful transition to television at practically the birth of that medium. The Loretta Young Show (originally called Letter to Loretta) ran from 1953 to 1961, and the show's anthology format gave Young the opportunity to play the types of characters she never got to play in her years in the movies.

In saying that briefing, isn't Loretta Young due for her own DVD/Blu-ray collection? She had an extensive career, but perhaps the poor quality of her filmography has caused this delay. One commentator said that while Loretta Young had a long career her movies were not very impressive, save a handful of them. Her television series seems to garner more attention on physical media than her films. And I guess that makes some sense considering her show was quite groundbreaking in the area that if starred and was almost solely ran by a female.

Does anyone have any word on a good collection of movies for Loretta Young?

Loretta_Young_Headshot.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Shouldn’t this thread be in the bluray/dvd section? You would probably get more responses there. Just a suggestion.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Ask a moderator
I found a moderator and sent them a PM asking them to move it.

The reason I put this Loretta Young discussion in the "Movies" section is because there isn't technically a DVD/Blu-ray set out there that I'm searching for. When I've put such discussions in the physical media sections before I've been called out for posting discussions there that didn't necessarily "belong" there because there were no physical media releases.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Realistically, a Loretta Young box set is highly unlikely. Some of her major Fox films like Come To The Stable, Ramona, Suez, Kentucky are MIA but since Fox is now controlled by Disney, chances of a release are zip/nada!

Other than those Fox films, most of Young's films have already been issued on DVD or blu ray. I have the following Young films in my collection so I'd say she's pretty well represented on physical media:

The Accused, Along Came Jones, And Now Tomorrow, Beau Ideal, Bishop's Wife, Born To Be Bad, Cafe Metropole, Call Of The Wild, Cause For Alarm, China, The Crusades, Doctor Takes A Wife, Eternally Yours, Farmer's Daughter, Heroes For Sale, Love Is News, Man's Castle, Midnight Mary, Night To Remember, Platinum Blonde, Rachel And The Stranger, Second Honeymoon, She Had To Say Yes, The Stranger.

Kino Lorber has also announced that Because Of You is forthcoming.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Realistically, a Loretta Young box set is highly unlikely. Some of her major Fox films like Come To The Stable, Ramona, Suez, Kentucky are MIA but since Fox is now controlled by Disney, chances of a release are zip/nada!

Other than those Fox films, most of Young's films have already been issued on DVD or blu ray. I have the following Young films in my collection so I'd say she's pretty well represented on physical media:

The Accused, Along Came Jones, And Now Tomorrow, Beau Ideal, Bishop's Wife, Born To Be Bad, Cafe Metropole, Call Of The Wild, Cause For Alarm, China, The Crusades, Doctor Takes A Wife, Eternally Yours, Farmer's Daughter, Heroes For Sale, Love Is News, Man's Castle, Midnight Mary, Night To Remember, Platinum Blonde, Rachel And The Stranger, Second Honeymoon, She Had To Say Yes, The Stranger.

Kino Lorber has also announced that Because Of You is forthcoming.
A very good assessment of Loretta Yong's presence on physical media. As far as the possibility of future Blu-rays goes, the Fox/Disney situation is particularly distressing.
I'd love Blu's on "Ramona" (20th's first all Technicolor film I believe - and a real beauty), along with "Suez", "Cafe Metropole" and "The Story of Alexander Graham Bell". But I'm resigned to the fact that's not going to happen. Don't know what the situation is with "The House of Rothschild", a 20th Century film made in 1934 before the merger with Fox. It's an excellent movie - with a Technicolor sequence toward the end.
I do hold out hope for a few other Young titles. There are some good Warner pre-codes like "Life Begins", "Play Girl", "Taxi" (with James Cagney) and above all "She Had to Say Yes" from 1933, which I'd count among her very best.
I recently purchased the French Region 2 Blu of "The Crusades"(Paramount 1935) and - in spite of its forced French subtitles - am very happy with it. This has always been one of my favorite DeMilles. And since Kino has been giving the Blu-ray treatment to a lot of old Paramount titles, I still hold out hope for "Shanghai", a piece of shimmering 30's exotica from that studio co-starring Young and Charles Boyer. Saw it only once. But I remember liking it a lot.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Methinks you will be even happier with your French Region 2 blu-ray of Les Croisades after you press the subtitles button on your remote and chose without (sans) making the subs disappear leaving only English and no subs at all. Worked on my disc and Oppo player.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Sure, I've always liked Loretta Young. Just watched Kino's disc of "The Accused" (1949) last week. What I'd really love, however, is a triple-feature set of some of her early Fox titles, "Zoo in Budapest" (1933), "The Devil's in Love" (1933), and the fluffy creampuff "Caravan" (1934). I'm quite fond of all three, with 'Zoo' being a particular favorite. And that's right, Paramount's "Shanghai" (1935) really needs to be dusted off and taken out of the woodwork. I'd always hoped the Universal Vault series would get that one out, but they never did.

Give me a 'Big Sis' collection as well.... as Sally Blane was a real charmer, too, and perked up many a poverty-row title, like "Probation" (1932) and "City Park" (1934), among others. Would love decent prints of those. But this fantasy-concoction of a collection can leave out "The Reckoning" (1932), which is one of the most deathly dull films imaginable. Just a little helpful warning.

Hmm. Continuing along the family-tree, I guess I now come to Polly Ann. I'm afraid a "Polly Ann Young" collection would be pretty slim pickings, though. A few scattered b-westerns. Yeah, I'd buy it. But would it sell more than five copies?

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Give me a 'Big Sis' collection as well.... as Sally Blane was a real charmer, too, and perked up many a poverty-row title, like "Probation" (1932) and "City Park" (1934), among others. Would love decent prints of those. But this fantasy-concoction of a collection can leave out "The Reckoning" (1932), which is one of the most deathly dull films imaginable. Just a little helpful warning.

Hmm. Continuing along the family-tree, I guess I now come to Polly Ann. I'm afraid a "Polly Ann Young" collection would be pretty slim pickings, though. A few scattered b-westerns. Yeah, I'd buy it. But would it sell more than five copies?
Yes, Loretta Young and her sisters were extremely appealing. Randolph Scott made a series of Zane Grey westerns for Paramount in the early 30's and Sally Blane co-starred in two of them. "Wild Horse Mesa" seems to have dropped off the face of the earth but "Heritage of the Desert" (from '32) has been available in various home video forms (sometimes under the title "When the West Was Young"). I'm very fond of this particular film. And Sally Blane's marvelous in it. Beautiful, of course - but also emanating a fresh kind of outdoor sensuality I find irresistible.
As for Polly Ann, well she and George O'Brien perform very amiably together in a modern western Fox distributed in '36 called "The Border Patrol Man". And in regard to that unlikley-to-happen Polly Ann Young collection, count me in as one who'd plunk down money for it in a heartbeat.
My favorite Polly Ann Young film, though, is one of her last - Monogram's "Invisible Ghost" from 1941 with Lugosi. And - happily - Kino has given it to us in Blu-ray.
As you quite possibly know, all four of the Young sisters - Loretta, Polly Ann, Sally and the youngest,Georgianna (later Mrs. Ricardo Montalban) appeared together in Fox's "The Story of Alexander Graham Bell"(1939) - playing siblings. And a very pretty picture they made.

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Yes, Loretta Young and her sisters were extremely appealing. Randolph Scott made a series of Zane Grey westerns for Paramount in the early 30's and Sally Blane co-starred in two of them. "Wild Horse Mesa" seems to have dropped off the face of the earth but "Heritage of the Desert" (from '32) has been available in various home video forms (sometimes under the title "When the West Was Young"). I'm very fond of this particular film. And Sally Blane's marvelous in it. Beautiful, of course - but also emanating a fresh kind of outdoor sensuality I find irresistible.
As for Polly Ann, well she and George O'Brien perform very amiably together in a modern western Fox distributed in '36 called "The Border Patrol Man". And in regard to that unlikley-to-happen Polly Ann Young collection, count me in as one who'd plunk down money for it in a heartbeat.
My favorite Polly Ann Young film, though, is one of her last - Monogram's "Invisible Ghost" from 1941 with Lugosi. And - happily - Kino has given it to us in Blu-ray.
As you quite possibly know, all four of the Young sisters - Loretta, Polly Ann, Sally and the youngest,Georgianna (later Mrs. Ricardo Montalban) appeared together as siblings in Fox's "The Story of Alexander Graham Bell"(1939) - playing siblings. And a very pretty picture they made.

I have a great old original still from "Wild Horse Mesa" (1932), with Randolph Scott and Sally Blane in an embrace. But I've never managed to see the darned film. At least, that version of it. The 1925 silent one, with Jack Holt and Billie Dove is a bigger level production, and has some really memorable moments. Grapevine has had it available for many years, from a reasonably decent print. Although, there's apparently a 35mm of it at the LOC, which I hope might someday escape. I was hoping Kino might have tapped it when they went for some of those Paramount silents a few years back. No luck. But that 1932 one is something I'd dearly like to see someday. Blane looks particularly fetching in my photo.

"The Border Patrolman" (1936) is a fun, light western. I've always been curious about the desert motel/resort that was used for a few outside location scenes, but never took the time to investigate it. Love those O'Brien westerns.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Come to the Stable is the go to yearly Christmas movie choice at our house. It's a fabulous feel good, life affirming and kind hearted masterpiece. Would LOVE a blu-ray upgrade. If Walt were still around and had the Fox library I'd guess he'd put it out.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Come to the Stable is the go to yearly Christmas movie choice at our house. It's a fabulous feel good, life affirming and kind hearted masterpiece. Would LOVE a blu-ray upgrade.
Come to the Stable is a movie that I've often wanted to see. Maybe I can get a copy of it online and it can become apart of our yearly Christmas viewing as well. I am wanting to get into more Loretta Young movies, and I figured I'll like to movie because Celeste Holm is in it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Loretta Young had one of the longest careers in Hollywood history. She began her career in films in the late 1920s, and rose to prominence as a leading lady in the 1930s and 1940s. She won her only Oscar for her performance in The Farmer's Daughter in 1947. Her film career tapered off there, however, and she made a successful transition to television at practically the birth of that medium. The Loretta Young Show (originally called Letter to Loretta) ran from 1953 to 1961, and the show's anthology format gave Young the opportunity to play the types of characters she never got to play in her years in the movies.

In saying that briefing, isn't Loretta Young due for her own DVD/Blu-ray collection? She had an extensive career, but perhaps the poor quality of her filmography has caused this delay. One commentator said that while Loretta Young had a long career her movies were not very impressive, save a handful of them. Her television series seems to garner more attention on physical media than her films. And I guess that makes some sense considering her show was quite groundbreaking in the area that if starred and was almost solely ran by a female.

Do you mean something like this?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Come to the Stable is a movie that I've often wanted to see. Maybe I can get a copy of it online and it can become apart of our yearly Christmas viewing as well. I am wanting to get into more Loretta Young movies, and I figured I'll like to movie because Celeste Holm is in it.
Come To The Stable is available on FOX MOD but interestingly when people were first getting
them they were pressed not MOD's do not know about now

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Sadly, I had my first Come to the Stable disc go bad (too many viewings?) but ordered a replacement and I think that is still possible. SO HOPING for a BD upgrade someday soon.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

She was on a roll in the late 40's The Farmer's Daughter, The Bishop's Wife, Come To The Stable in short order!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
What's amazing id=s that her first part was at 2 or 3 yrs old as a child in the crowd, nut what blew me away was the movies she did in wak on parts and building into the actress we all know and loved. Here is the titles list from Wickapedia -

Young and David Niven in the film Eternally Yours (1939)
YearTitleRoleNotes
1916Sweet Kitty BellairsunknownLost; uncredited
1917The Primrose RingFairyLost; uncredited
1917Sirens of the SeaChildAs Gretchen Young
1919The Only WayChild on operating table
1921White and UnmarriedChildUncredited
1921The SheikArab childExtant; uncredited
1927Naughty But NiceBit partExtant; uncredited
1927Her Wild OatBit by ping pong tableExtant; uncredited
1927Orchids and ErmineunknownExtant; uncredited
1928The Whip WomanThe GirlLost
1928Laugh, Clown, LaughSimonettaExtant; made at MGM
1928The Magnificent FlirtDenise LaverneLost; made at Paramount Pictures
1928The Head ManCarol WattsLost
1928Scarlet SeasMargaret BarbourExtant (Vitaphone track of music and effects survives). Picture elements discovered at Cineteca Italiana, Milan
1929Seven Footprints to SatanOne of Satan's victimsExtant; uncredited
1929The SquallIrmaExtant, in Library of Congress
1929The Girl in the Glass CageGladys CosgroveLost
1929Fast LifePatricia Mason StrattonLost (Vitaphone soundtrack discs at UCLA Film and Television)
1929The Careless AgeMurielLost
1929The Forward PassPatricia CarlyleLost
1929The Show of Shows"Meet My Sister" numberExtant, in Library of Congress
1930Loose AnklesAnn Harper BerryExtant, in Library of Congress
1930The Man from Blankley'sMargery SeatonLost (Vitaphone soundtrack discs at UCLA Film and Television)
1930Show Girl in HollywoodExtant, in Library of Congress; uncredited
1930The Second Floor MysteryMarion FergusonExtant, in Library of Congress
1930Road to ParadiseMary Brennan/Margaret WaringExtant, in Library of Congress
1930Warner Bros. Jubilee DinnerHerselfShort subject
1930KismetMarsinahLost (Vitaphone soundtrack discs at UCLA Film and Television)
1930War NurseNurseExtant; made at MGM; uncredited (Young's scenes deleted)
1930The Truth About YouthPhyllis EricsonExtant, in Library of Congress
1930The Devil to Pay!Dorothy HopeExtant; produced by Samuel Goldwyn; released by United Artists
1931How I Play Golf, by Bobby Jones No. 8: "The Brassie"HerselfShort subject
1931Beau IdealIsobel BrandonExtant; made at RKO
1931The Right of WayRosalie EvanturalExtant, in Library of Congress
1931The Stolen JoolsHerselfShort subject
1931Three Girls LostNorene McMannExtant
1931Too Young to MarryElaine BumpsteadExtant, in Library of Congress
1931Big Business GirlClaie "Mac" McIntyreExtant, in Library of Congress
1931I Like Your NerveDiane ForsytheExtant, in Library of Congress
1931The Ruling VoiceGloria BannisterExtant, in Library of Congress
1931Platinum BlondeGallagher
1932Taxi!Sue Riley NolanExtant, in Library of Congress
1932The Hatchet ManSun Toya SanExtant, in Library of Congress; original title The Honorable Mr. Wong
1932Play GirlBuster "Bus" Green DennisExtant, in Library of Congress
1932Week-End MarriageLola Davis HayesExtant, in Library of Congress
1932Life BeginsGrace SuttonExtant, in Library of Congress
1932They Call It SinMarion CullenExtant, in Library of Congress[37]
1933Employees' EntranceMadeleine Walters WestExtant, in Library of Congress
1933Grand SlamMarcia StanislavskyExtant, in Library of Congress
1933Zoo in BudapestEveExtant
1933The Life of Jimmy DolanPeggyExtant, in Library of Congress
1933Heroes for SaleRuth Loring HolmesExtant, in Library of Congress
1933Midnight MaryMary Martin
1933She Had to Say YesFlorence "Flo" DennyExtant, in Library of Congress
1933The Devil's in LoveMargot LesesneExtant
1933Man's CastleTrinaExtant
1934The House of RothschildJulie Rothschild
1934Born to Be BadLetty Strong
1934Bulldog Drummond Strikes BackLola Field
1934CaravanCountess Wilma
1934The White ParadeJune Arden
1935Clive of IndiaMargaret Maskelyne Clive
1935ShanghaiBarbara Howard
1935The Call of the WildClaire Blake
1935The CrusadesBerengaria, Princess of Navarre
1935Hollywood Extra GirlHerselfShort subject
1936The Unguarded HourLady Helen Dudley Dearden
1936Private NumberEllen Neal
1936RamonaRamona
1936Ladies in LoveSusie Schmidt
1937Love Is NewsToni Gateson
1937Café MetropoleLaura Ridgeway
1937Love Under FireMyra Cooper
1937Wife, Doctor and NurseIna Heath Lewis
1937Second HoneymoonVicky
1938Four Men and a PrayerMiss Lynn Cherrington
1938Three Blind MicePamela Charters
1938SuezCountess Eugenie de Montijo
1938KentuckySally Goodwin
1939Wife, Husband and FriendDoris Borland
1939The Story of Alexander Graham BellMrs. Mabel Hubbard Bell
1939Eternally YoursAnita
1940The Doctor Takes a WifeJune Cameron
1940He Stayed for BreakfastMarianna Duval
1941The Lady from CheyenneAnnie Morgan
1941The Men in Her LifeLina Varsavina
1941Bedtime StoryJane Drake
1942A Night to RememberNancy Troy
1943ChinaCarolyn Grant
1943Show Business at WarHerselfShort subject
1944Ladies CourageousRoberta HarperFamously "a clef" biopic of the WWII WASPs, pioneering women pilots
1944And Now TomorrowEmily Blair
1945Along Came JonesCherry de Longpre
1946The StrangerMary Longstreet
1947The Perfect MarriageMaggie Williams
1947The Farmer's DaughterKatrin "Katy" HolstrumAcademy Award for Best Actress
1947The Bishop's WifeJulia Brougham
1948Rachel and the StrangerRachel Harvey
1949The AccusedDr. Wilma Tuttle
1949Mother Is a FreshmanAbigail Fortitude Abbott
1949Come to the StableSister MargaretNominated for Academy Award for Best Actress
1950Key to the CityClarissa Standish
1951You Can Change the WorldHerselfShort subject
1951Cause for Alarm!Ellen Jones
1951Half AngelNora Gilpin
1951Screen Snapshots: Hollywood AwardsHerselfShort subject
1952PaulaPaula Rogers
1952Because of YouChristine Carroll Kimberly
1953It Happens Every ThursdayJane MacAvoy
1986Christmas EveAmanda KingsleyTV movie
1989Lady in a CornerGrace GuthrieTV movie
1994Life Along the MississippiNarrator (voice)TV documentary

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What's amazing id=s that her first part was at 2 or 3 yrs old as a child in the crowd, nut what blew me away was the movies she did in wak on parts and building into the actress we all know and loved. Here is the titles list from Wickapedia -

Young and David Niven in the film Eternally Yours (1939)
YearTitleRoleNotes
1916Sweet Kitty BellairsunknownLost; uncredited
1917The Primrose RingFairyLost; uncredited
1917Sirens of the SeaChildAs Gretchen Young
1919The Only WayChild on operating table
1921White and UnmarriedChildUncredited
1921The SheikArab childExtant; uncredited
1927Naughty But NiceBit partExtant; uncredited
1927Her Wild OatBit by ping pong tableExtant; uncredited
1927Orchids and ErmineunknownExtant; uncredited
1928The Whip WomanThe GirlLost
1928Laugh, Clown, LaughSimonettaExtant; made at MGM
1928The Magnificent FlirtDenise LaverneLost; made at Paramount Pictures
1928The Head ManCarol WattsLost
1928Scarlet SeasMargaret BarbourExtant (Vitaphone track of music and effects survives). Picture elements discovered at Cineteca Italiana, Milan
1929Seven Footprints to SatanOne of Satan's victimsExtant; uncredited
1929The SquallIrmaExtant, in Library of Congress
1929The Girl in the Glass CageGladys CosgroveLost
1929Fast LifePatricia Mason StrattonLost (Vitaphone soundtrack discs at UCLA Film and Television)
1929The Careless AgeMurielLost
1929The Forward PassPatricia CarlyleLost
1929The Show of Shows"Meet My Sister" numberExtant, in Library of Congress
1930Loose AnklesAnn Harper BerryExtant, in Library of Congress
1930The Man from Blankley'sMargery SeatonLost (Vitaphone soundtrack discs at UCLA Film and Television)
1930Show Girl in HollywoodExtant, in Library of Congress; uncredited
1930The Second Floor MysteryMarion FergusonExtant, in Library of Congress
1930Road to ParadiseMary Brennan/Margaret WaringExtant, in Library of Congress
1930Warner Bros. Jubilee DinnerHerselfShort subject
1930KismetMarsinahLost (Vitaphone soundtrack discs at UCLA Film and Television)
1930War NurseNurseExtant; made at MGM; uncredited (Young's scenes deleted)
1930The Truth About YouthPhyllis EricsonExtant, in Library of Congress
1930The Devil to Pay!Dorothy HopeExtant; produced by Samuel Goldwyn; released by United Artists
1931How I Play Golf, by Bobby Jones No. 8: "The Brassie"HerselfShort subject
1931Beau IdealIsobel BrandonExtant; made at RKO
1931The Right of WayRosalie EvanturalExtant, in Library of Congress
1931The Stolen JoolsHerselfShort subject
1931Three Girls LostNorene McMannExtant
1931Too Young to MarryElaine BumpsteadExtant, in Library of Congress
1931Big Business GirlClaie "Mac" McIntyreExtant, in Library of Congress
1931I Like Your NerveDiane ForsytheExtant, in Library of Congress
1931The Ruling VoiceGloria BannisterExtant, in Library of Congress
1931Platinum BlondeGallagher
1932Taxi!Sue Riley NolanExtant, in Library of Congress
1932The Hatchet ManSun Toya SanExtant, in Library of Congress; original title The Honorable Mr. Wong
1932Play GirlBuster "Bus" Green DennisExtant, in Library of Congress
1932Week-End MarriageLola Davis HayesExtant, in Library of Congress
1932Life BeginsGrace SuttonExtant, in Library of Congress
1932They Call It SinMarion CullenExtant, in Library of Congress[37]
1933Employees' EntranceMadeleine Walters WestExtant, in Library of Congress
1933Grand SlamMarcia StanislavskyExtant, in Library of Congress
1933Zoo in BudapestEveExtant
1933The Life of Jimmy DolanPeggyExtant, in Library of Congress
1933Heroes for SaleRuth Loring HolmesExtant, in Library of Congress
1933Midnight MaryMary Martin
1933She Had to Say YesFlorence "Flo" DennyExtant, in Library of Congress
1933The Devil's in LoveMargot LesesneExtant
1933Man's CastleTrinaExtant
1934The House of RothschildJulie Rothschild
1934Born to Be BadLetty Strong
1934Bulldog Drummond Strikes BackLola Field
1934CaravanCountess Wilma
1934The White ParadeJune Arden
1935Clive of IndiaMargaret Maskelyne Clive
1935ShanghaiBarbara Howard
1935The Call of the WildClaire Blake
1935The CrusadesBerengaria, Princess of Navarre
1935Hollywood Extra GirlHerselfShort subject
1936The Unguarded HourLady Helen Dudley Dearden
1936Private NumberEllen Neal
1936RamonaRamona
1936Ladies in LoveSusie Schmidt
1937Love Is NewsToni Gateson
1937Café MetropoleLaura Ridgeway
1937Love Under FireMyra Cooper
1937Wife, Doctor and NurseIna Heath Lewis
1937Second HoneymoonVicky
1938Four Men and a PrayerMiss Lynn Cherrington
1938Three Blind MicePamela Charters
1938SuezCountess Eugenie de Montijo
1938KentuckySally Goodwin
1939Wife, Husband and FriendDoris Borland
1939The Story of Alexander Graham BellMrs. Mabel Hubbard Bell
1939Eternally YoursAnita
1940The Doctor Takes a WifeJune Cameron
1940He Stayed for BreakfastMarianna Duval
1941The Lady from CheyenneAnnie Morgan
1941The Men in Her LifeLina Varsavina
1941Bedtime StoryJane Drake
1942A Night to RememberNancy Troy
1943ChinaCarolyn Grant
1943Show Business at WarHerselfShort subject
1944Ladies CourageousRoberta HarperFamously "a clef" biopic of the WWII WASPs, pioneering women pilots
1944And Now TomorrowEmily Blair
1945Along Came JonesCherry de Longpre
1946The StrangerMary Longstreet
1947The Perfect MarriageMaggie Williams
1947The Farmer's DaughterKatrin "Katy" HolstrumAcademy Award for Best Actress
1947The Bishop's WifeJulia Brougham
1948Rachel and the StrangerRachel Harvey
1949The AccusedDr. Wilma Tuttle
1949Mother Is a FreshmanAbigail Fortitude Abbott
1949Come to the StableSister MargaretNominated for Academy Award for Best Actress
1950Key to the CityClarissa Standish
1951You Can Change the WorldHerselfShort subject
1951Cause for Alarm!Ellen Jones
1951Half AngelNora Gilpin
1951Screen Snapshots: Hollywood AwardsHerselfShort subject
1952PaulaPaula Rogers
1952Because of YouChristine Carroll Kimberly
1953It Happens Every ThursdayJane MacAvoy
1986Christmas EveAmanda KingsleyTV movie
1989Lady in a CornerGrace GuthrieTV movie
1994Life Along the MississippiNarrator (voice)TV documentary
And she almost made it to 100!