What's new

Lorenzo's oil finally proven to work (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I thought fans of the movie might like this article.
Lorenzo's oil finally proven to work
26 September 02
David Concar
The controversial do-it-yourself medicine that inspired the heart-rending movie Lorenzo's Oil has finally been proved to work. The new research ends years of uncertainty about the treatment and demolishes the claims of experts who repeatedly said it was a worthless quack remedy.
New Scientist has learned that Hugo Moser, the neurologist and doctor played by Peter Ustinov in the film, will on Saturday unveil the positive conclusions of a 10-year investigation into the oil's effects on a group of boys affected with the same genetic condition as Lorenzo.
Continued at the link below.
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992851

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I was starting to wonder if the movie even had any fans here at the HTF! I started a thread about a year ago, wondering if anyone else would like to see this film on DVD. Zero replies. :frowning:
Thanks for the link, very cool news!

Phil O

Agent
Thanks for sharing the link. This true story really moved me as well. I'm sorry to hear their son cannot move. I didn't know his status until just now after reading the article. I was hoping he recovered fully. I'm glad their findings were validated. It really was unbelievable what they were able to do.

Regards,

Phil O

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
"Lorenzo's oil" is a variation of the ketogenic diet, which has been known for more than 70 years as a treatment for seizures. It has recently come into favor again.
The ketogenic diet is made up almost entirely of fats (the patients drink heavy cream and eat relatively huge amounts of butter). Protein and carbs are severely restricted. This puts the patient's body into a state of ketosis, which has been shown to (sometimes) lower - or even eliminate - the severity and/or frequency of seizures. Scientists do not know why it works.
Adrenoleukodystrophy, which Lorenzo has, presents with various neurological defects, including seizures. The oil that is administered similarly places the patient into ketosis, hopefully halting the symptoms.
I'm an RN who has worked with many of these kids. Often, the treatment does not work. But when it does, it is incredibly impressive.
As for the movie...I found it a bit over-the-top. :)
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks