Loreena McKennitt's new CDs - better than the old versions?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Stan Rozenfeld, May 25, 2005.

1. Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

For the Loreena Mckennitt fans out there: has anyone had a chance to compare her recently released newly remastered cds to the old versions? Is there a definite improvement?

Also, any word on possible releases in sacd or dvd-audio?

Thanks,
    Stan

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    If ever someone's music deserved a hi-res MCH mix, it's hers. I too am curious about the remasters.

3. Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld Stunt Coordinator

I just checked faq on her website quinlanroad.com and they say that because of the way the earlier albums were recorded, they're not suitable for multi-channel mix. However they will strongly consider it for any new album that they release.

Meanwhile, I decided to pick up all six remastered albums at allegro-music.com.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Anyone ever seen Loreena live in concert? Is it worth $50?

I'd love to see her, but I'm waffling based on the ticket price. I can buy her new concert DVD for half that and play it as many times as I want.

5. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

I just saw her last month. She is phenomenal live. Don't hesitate, just go. I would gladly pay $150.00 to see her again.

As for the remastered albums, they are a big improvement. I gave away my originals.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Most of my friends consider me a real cheap-skate, but I would not hesitate to pay $50 to see Loreena McKennitt. You just can't relplace the experience of seeing an artist you like, live.

I, too, have the recent concert DVD. If I were to see Loreena McKenitt in concert, I would view the DVD as a supplement to the concert experience.

Back to the original thread, since I already owned most of the remastered CDs, I opted not to double dip. I would be curious to know if there is any significant quality difference.