Loreena Mckennitt fans/DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wayne p, Aug 25, 2002.

1. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I suspect there are many members here who enjoy her music. Overall its popularity seems to be on the rise and with the success of LOTR and its Celtic style music more people may discover the real stuff, rather then Enya. No that there is anything wrong with Enya as such, but Loreena McKennitt uses acoustic instruments and not electronics.
    Loreena McKennitt's Mask and Mirror has been in rotation on my system since I read a review of this CD in Stereophile, back in '94 or '95. In addition to the quality of the music, JGH recommended it for the quality of the recording. Back then it took me a few spins of the disc to warm up to Celtic music with authentic instruments, but I stuck with it as the quality of the recording is so great. There is a definite air around each instrument and her voice hits each note with the power and clarity of a bell. It did not take long to understand and appreciate her music and now I have all her CD's. At least once a week one of her CD's spins as I sit back in the sweet spot with eyes closed and allow the music to take away the stress of the day. Wonderful stuff.
    Having said all that, I suspect the experience would be even better in Hi-Rez. I understand Loreena McKennitt has maintained full control over her music and as such would it be possible to persuade her to put out a DVD-A by way of an e-mail campaign? There are some 27,000 members here and if a significant percentage dropped her a note it may just happen.
    The link to her production company is www.quinlanroad.com
    For those unfamiliar with her work there are also samples on her sight as well as brief video.
    The way I see it we, those screaming for DVD-A/DVD titles,
    have nothing to loose. Not to mention it is an interesting experiment unto itself.
    Your support is greatly appreciated.
    Wayne

2. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I just want a new studio release damn it. [​IMG] I think I read she retired or something? Too bad!

3. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

There's a good chance her cd's will reappear as dvd-a's. Her newer catalog is distributed by Warner, and most of the time when an artist signs a major label deal, their catalog comes with them. I have some of her newer material on WB and the QR logo is on the discs. And we all know Warner does dvd-a. Guess we'll see.

4. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Mmmm, Loreena McKennitt - in my top 3 list for favorite artists.

John - she is currently doing the research for her next album - hopefully it won't be too long. She didn't retire, but in 1998 her fiance drowned in a boating accident, which, from what I have read, (understandably) derailed her enthusiasm to start a new album or tour for a while.

If her catalog was re-released in DVD-A, I guess I would finally have to get DVD-A capability. I am still dying to see her live in concert - she doesn't tour often, and even less in the USA.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Wayne have you listened to her double live CD set from Paris and Toronto? Its one of my favorites of hers

6. wayne p

Andrew,
    I had a copy of the live disc but my daughter took it with her when she moved to Hamilton. A very good disc, but I did not replace it as I have the songs on her other CD,s. Th Mask and Mirror remains my favorite, followed by The Book of Secrets.

I have written to her site, attention marketing, asking if they intend to issue DVD-A,s but I have not received a response yet. I still feel it may be worth while for others to inquire as well. Hopefully some members of this forum will give it a shot.

Wayne

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Wayne, browsing the site, it said probably the best way to reach them is by phone, which they have a toll free number in the US 1 800-361-7959. Maybe you will have better luck getting an answer by calling. I personally have never listened to her music, but you guys have got me interested in her. I will look for one of her CDs this week when I go out on my weekly disc purchasing trip. I am interested in most titles coming out in hi-res.

Which CD would you recommend picking up for someone new to her music?

J

8. wayne p

Justin, my personal favorite is The Mask and Mirror. Her most commercial disc I believe is The Book of Secrets which has the track Mummer's Dance. The video played a lot on Bravo and other TV channels.

Although all her discs seem to have been recorded and transferred to CD with great care and pride, the Mask and Mirror gets my vote for her best sounding disc. It starts off in a very moody/mystical fashion that gets my imagination going every time I listen to it. It sets the stage well for the rest of the disc.

Pick up a copy of either one and really listen to the complex harmonies and rhythms created by this unusual (unusual to North Americans) music. I would appreciate it I you would post your thoughts once you have given the disc a hearing or two.

Wayne

9. wayne p

I received a response today from www.quinlanroad.com advising they have no plans to release Loreena McKennitt on DVD-A or SACD. It remains to be seen if the posters here will take up the challenge and commence an e-mail campaign in an attempt to alter their plans.
    Please take a moment to drop a note to the above site, requesting they consider DVD-A.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

did my part in the email campaign...she grew up less then an hour from me but moved to ontario before I came to the area.

11. wayne p

Andrew, thanks for your support and info. I did not know she was a "Friendly Manitoban".

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Pleasing to see so many Loreena fans here. If only her record company would market her to a broader audience. Seems the only people here in L.A. who know her are New Age types. Marvelously lyrical and liquid voice, and deeply melodic, tuneful material. Superb artist, she.

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The thing I find most impressive about her music is the layers to it. There's simply so many instruments in each song its beautiful to listen to on a system capable of creative a wide & deep soundstage

14. wayne p

I agree with Andrew, the orchestration of this music is very interesting. This is one of the reasons it does not get stale like so much popular music.

Watching CNN Sunday morning this week and they were talking about current movies and showing brief clips. I noticed one of the movies (I forget which one) had a song from The Mask & Mirror in it, and that disc was recorded in 1994. I guess this music is not getting stale for the producer either.

15. wayne p

It appears few are interested in this experiment, the music, or both so far.
    Now that the weekend is here there must be some others willing to attempt to hound Loreena McKennitt into a issuing a DVD-A. Come on everyone, send your e-mail requesting a DVD-A to the address you will find on her web site www.quinlanroad.com
    For those unfamiliar with her work there are some sound files available, but they do not do this music justice.
    Wayne

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I love Loreena and hope she does put out a new album soon.
    It's funny reading this thread and finding out how many rank "The Mask and Mirror" as their favorite. It's actually the recording of hers I spin the least.
    I first discovered Loreena with "The Visit," in the music library of my college radio station and have loved her ever since. Probably for that reason, "The Visit" remains my favorite recording, along with "Parallel Dreams" and "Elemental."
    Hmmmm....I think I'll play some right now. [​IMG]

17. wayne p

I also enjoy The Visit. I find the vocals with the harp in the song Lady of Shallot hypnotic.

I can understand your comment about Mask and Mirror as it took me a some time to warm to it as well. At first I would spin this disc during tweaking sessions ( it is an extremely well recorded disc presenting a solid sonic image ) with my system, but in time I found myself returning to it again and again as the unusual tunes would run in my head after the disc was over. Now I listen to Mask & Mirror often, at proper/live levels. The dark moodiness of this album invokes a sense of mystery and expectation that I seem to find endlessly entertaining. It is easy to forget the here and now when immersed in this album.

P.S. Malcolm, please visit Loreena's site and send an e-mail requesting a DVD-A. Even if you don't have a player at this time you probably will at some point in the future. We must do what we can to promote good software for these Hi-Rez formats. Thanks

Wayne

18. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

19. wayne p

Vickie, thanks for clarifying the movie question. It seems odd they would use this music in a promo and not in the movie. Too bad.
    I have not seen her in concert. Does she put on a good show?
    As you would also like to see a DVD-A produced, please go to her site, www.quinlanroad.com and send them an e-mail requesting one.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

20. David R. Hendrickson

David R. Hendrickson Stunt Coordinator

i've heard they do this when the soundtrack isn't ready for the advertising. when the ads for "Mission to Mars" came out, they had Vangelis music all over them. then the movie comes out...nothing.

hmm, Mask and the Mirror or The Visit. tough choice. both great, but i have to give the edge to The Visit, if for no other reason than Bonny Portmore. then there's Book of Secrets. oh, i can't decide...