What's new

"Lord Of War" Exhange Program? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Ok, I know this isn't "Superman" or "Back To The Future" but this is an issue just the same. I'm basically wondering if there is a replacement program in place for "Lord Of War" starring Nicolas Cage. For those who don't know, the widescreen version of the DVD was mis-framed at 1:78:1 when in fact the film is 2:35:1. This is the ONLY film in my collection that isn't OAR, and frankly that bothers me. :) I remember reading that the disc was later re-issued with the proper ratio, but; 1) I can't find the re-issue ANYWHERE, and; 2) Why should I have to buy the movie a second time simply because they screwed up the transfer the first time.

I e-mailed Maple Pictures (the film's Canadian distributor) a number of days ago regarding the issue, and have yet to hear anything. If anyone can shed some light on this situation, I'd be extremely grateful.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
There were 1 & 2 disc versions, maybe one was correct?

If they only corrected this in later pressings, you might need Ebay.

If you can't find one, take some comfort in knowing that Super35 films get altered frequently (I wish everything was either Scope or Flat).

Plus, you do own 'Apocalypse Now', right?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I bought the 2-Disc the day it was released. Upon hearing about the corrected discs a month or two later, I e-mailed Lions Gate to see if I could get them to exchange the disc for the "proper" one and never received a reply. This was almost a year ago.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Only the 2-disc version was re-issued in the correct AR. I bought the 1st and 2nd release, then returned the 1st release to the retailer, saying the disc was defective. Got a refund. Seems too many steps just to get the correct aspect ratio that I think all other regions got right the first time...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yup, I'm still on the case for this one, after returning the original 2-disc shortly after getting it ("DVD Aspect Ratio" indeed). Have not seen a corrected AR version in stores around here, nor can I get online vendors to verify they have the corrected AR version. Has anybody ordered the 2-disc from amazon.com lately and got the correct version?

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I found the 2-disc SE with the proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio at a local Target store about 2-3 weeks ago so I bought a copy. It was only $13.78 (the same price as the 1 disc version) and they had about 20 copies at the time.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Still no word from Maple. I hate it when studios inadvertently refuse to stand behind their product. At least Warner and Universal stepped up to the plate when they realized they had faulty product on the shelves. I even read a post where Anchor Bay sent a replacement disc of "Kentucky Fried Movie" because the one they owned was pooched.

This really does bother me. So because of Maple's (and I guess Lions Gate's) negligence, I'm unable to watch this film the way it was meant to be seen. Sure I could order the 2-disc, but as others above have stated, there's no guarantee I'll get the correct version. Can't win.

No actually, I don't.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has a ton of them around here. They put a sticker on the back. That is where I bought mine. I waited and waited to see what would be done and low and behold they did it right.

It makes a big difference.

As stated 2 disc only has the corrected AR.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks. I'll try to get one from Best Buy in the U.S. then. I am always wary of anything that comes out on a "Canadian" label, like Maple (Lionsgate), TVA, Seville, Alliance Atlantis (will they get better now they're sold to a U.S. company?). Wrong AR is bad enough, but non-anamorphic still??

Soah

Agent
After waiting on this since the day it came out I finally picked up the single disc version today only b/c it was under $5 at Zellers. I gave up hope LionsGate/Maple would release the proper version in Canada.

Did anybody try calling Maple or LionsGate instead of just emailing?

CraigF,

Are you saying the Canadian version is not anamorphic?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Soah: no, just some other releases in the last couple years by "Canadian" labels that weren't anamorphic.

I would pay $5 for LoW 1-disc, even in the wrong AR, a disposable price. I'll look for it at Zellers...my local one has drastically decreased their DVD shelves since Christmas.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I picked up the 2-disc Maple version for $5 at Wal-Mart (in Canada) about a month ago. Though not stickered, it is obviously not 1.78:1 ...I measured 2.20:1 but will presume that's just my display and it's probably "correct". OK, I'm off the case now, took long enough...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The Austin Powers DVD is indeed 2:1, the same aspect ratio as Apocalypse now (though Austin has been opened up while Apocalypse has been cropped).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks