What's new

Lord of War: 2-Disc Special Edition 1/17 (1 Viewer)

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator

I'm a proponent for OAR as much as anybody, but there is, I believe, a notable difference between a full frame transfer of a 2.40:1 film versus a 1.78:1 transfer.

In the case of somebody who has a widescreen display, if one had to choose between a full frame pan-and-scan job or a 1.78:1 cropping, the cropping would be preferable. It would have less information missing than the full frame version, and would not have to be stretched out to fill the widescreen display.

Personally, especially with this Super 35 film, it's the grain on a cropped version that bothers me more than the information missing in the picture.

I just recently upgraded from a 32 inch 4:3 CRT TV to a 50-inch Panasonic plasma display, and it's blown my mind how some stuff looks amazing, but other stuff for a variety of reasons has a lot of grain that I never noticed before on my old display.

James.G

Grip
I just picked up the new disc with the scope tranfer.

Since this was shot Super35, in some scenes on the "revised" transfer there's more image available and in others there's less.

In the first image, the new DVD (lighter) actually has less image than the old 1.78:1 DVD (darker)

In the second image, similar to one posted here before, the scope DVD has substantially more pictures at the sides than the older DVD.

That's the frustrating thing about Super35. There's not one "right" image.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
lees or more isnt the main issue.
the issue is the RIGHT image.

James.G

Grip

Agreed. That's why I waited till now to pick up the revised version. I just find it interesting how this movie was composed. With an anamorphic lens the only composition would be the right image.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Keep kicking them in the nuts until you get that mailer and replacement. :) Then kick them once more.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
FYI, I have now seen single-dsic copies at Best Buy with a corrected aspect ratio sticker. Wasn't sure if that was known or not.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
What a rip. I just purchased this previously viewed on Saturday without any prior knowledge of the incorrect aspect ratio. I did find the 1:78:1 aspect ratio odd, but I more or less shrugged it off, assuming that it was correct. I'm going to try and return this, and with any luck I'll be able to find a stickered version in this neck of the woods.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
FYI. I purchased my correct aspect ratio Lord of War 2-Disc set at Best Buy, so, in addition to the single-disc version showing up corrected there, the 2-disc is too.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Anyone yet find the 2.40 2-disc in Canada? It's been ~3 months since I returned the MAR version... Afraid to order online as they can't verify the AR. Thanks.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I haven't seen it anywhere in Illinois, so they might only be available here and there. I am now waiting until the price drop and giving the crud copy I have to my brother.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Sure there is, the image that was projected theatrically is the right image, all others are deviations from OAR ;).
For once, us folks in R2-land got lucky, OAR, 2-disc with dts, no worries this time (unlike some other releases...) :).

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Joel,

I've seen the corrected version at pretty much every Best Buy I've been to in the west suburbs, specifically both Downers Grove stores and Bolingbrook.

Soah

Agent
CraigF

I've checked numerous FS, BB, Music World, Sunrise Records, HMV, etc locations in Toronto and GTA and have yet to see any 2-disc or single disc versions with the correct aspect ratio sticker on the back

Been wanting to pick this up since release day now and still left wondering when Canadians will get to enjoy it the way it's supposed to be sigh...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Thanks. Yeah, that sums up all the places I've looked. I have not even seen any of the 2-discers for a while. Since it's a different "label" in Canada, who knows, we may never get it.

I'd get it from amazon.com if I could be guaranteed they'd send the right AR version (wrong AR is apparently not a "returnable" offense, as the AR matches what's marked on the package).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks