What's new

Lord of the Rings - XBOX (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Considering that it's IGN, I'll wait until one of the forum members confirms the game's shortcomings before I fully write this game off.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
The thread mentioned by Craig does include a forum member's comments.
It's too bad that this game didn't turn out as expected. Maybe The Two Towers will be decent.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Well, I am enjoying the game. It follows the story of the book pretty well, and the graphics are really nice to look at as far as the landscapes are concerned. VERY NICE. The character models are not top of the line, but suffice. The voice acting is above average. I have not had any issues with bugs.

My one gripe is this games legnth. Very short. Too short.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Thanks Troy! Sine I was really looking forward to this game, I at least owe it to myself to try it out before moving on. I hope I feel the same as Rick on this one.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Who is making lotr games for pc? anyone know? There is too many coming out and i only usually see Xbox or p2 on them. If someone could let me know what titles will be on pc that would be great, thanks

Jay_Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to have to agree with Troy. Compared to the EA game this just pales in comparison. It's sort of like the Cliff Notes version of FOTR with inferior artwork. I found the stuttering framerate to be poor considering what they were drawing on the screen. Additionally, the environments look pretty shoddy when you compare them to a Starfox or Enclave or Halo. As an example, no procedural grass as second gen titles hit the Xbox is pretty lame. This is very inexpensive to do and very easy to implement.
There have been many complaints of the disc locking up also, check the gamefaqs board.
Frankly, I think new dev studio WXP bit off more than they could chew, perhaps cause they were in team-building mode. I think this title was rushed out so Sierra could capitilize on the LOTR franchise, before the killer game that EA is doing comes out.
Like the man said, fortunatelty, this is one short game.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Well, I JUST started playing it and I am still in teh shire. So far it seems like a pretty interesting game of exploration as I check out the houses and people and various tasks there are to accomplish. There's a book you have and in order to progress you have to do things liek help a neighbor round up his pigs or help another straighten out a weather vane.
The graphics are a bit shallow yet the fact you can enter different homes and talk to various people who can vocalize, not just text here, have kept me interested so far. It could change. I don't mind a short game as I have so many games to play right now it would be nice to finish something.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Just ran across this review and thought it was kind of interesting, seeing how it's more from the point of view of a book fan than a hard core gamer. Personally, I think I'll probably pick the game up when it hits bargain prices :)
Link

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I thought this game was awful. The side missions began to drive me crazy. I wanted to fight but had to wait through the time of getting out of the shire. I took this game back and got star fox. I do like the fact that they follow the book though.

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
If you're interested in a FotR game that may have more potential, check out the PS2 version. It's also published by Universal, but developed by Surreal, the guys behind Drakan 2: The Ancients' Gates and the original Drakan. I thought that it was one of the better games to come out earlier this year.

wayne

Auditioning
Real Name
That is my real name
Kevin, from atlanta. I am shocked that you know you live in the dirty south. It brought a smile to my heart to see that
Wayne

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, this game must be great... my GameStop already has 2 PrePlayed versions. This is after, what, 1 week of release? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks