What's new

Lord of the Rings: Will this Prompt you to Upgrade your Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I must admit; I have seen this movie close to a dozen times in the theater. Now, with specs including a DD EX 5.1 track, I feel compelled to upgrade my reciever. Currently I have the Denon 1601 and will likely go to the Denon 2802.

I'm curious if LOTR, or another movie "forced" anyone else here to upgrade your hardware?! (Maybe...subconsciously, I'm just looking for assurances that I'm not a sick man:b)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well I bought an LD player for Star Wars, then I modded the LD player to handle AC-3 for Star Wars SE. I bought a DVD-A player for the Grateful Dead DVD-A discs. However no single movie will encourage me to do 6.1 or 7.1, it will be a matter of the natural evolution of my HT.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Depends on when Fellowship comes out on on disc...
I am already set with my receiver though :D 6.1 and EX/ES decoding.

BrentMann

Auditioning
You might be sick, but your in good company. :) I ditched a Sony DB-930 for an Integra 8.2 and bought a rear-surround for Episode I. The wife tells me my life depends on Episode II not to be in 10.2 :):):)

phill clarke

Auditioning
Keith,
I know this may not be the correct forum for this info, but I have to ask.... How did you mod the LD to support AC3? I've got a Panasonic LD that has no AC3 since it pre-dates AC3. Any info would be great since I own a few disks that are in AC3 that I can't take full advantage of.
You can just send me a URL to info or email me if this isn't the proper place for this discussion.
Thanks!
Phill
[email protected]

Brandon B

Second Unit
Actually, FOTR will be out as a basic DVD with theatrical version in August. More featured version with 1/2 hour more movie super special spiffy collectors wow version in November.

Friends with a New Line employee.

Also, FOTR is rereleased inn 2 days with a 4 minute trailer for Two Towers between the film and the credits (in other words a real TRAILER).

I'm using this release date as my goal to finish my DIY speakers, since I blew the whole Episode I DVD release timeline. *sigh*

BB

Corey W

Agent
The images ive seen they are not using snapper cases thank god. As for upgrading no im not but thats becuase i just set up my first HT. And it kicks butt so far so no upgrading in my future.

Corey W

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Apologies all around for the bad info. I haven't been to theonering.net in quite awhile. It sure looks like the studios are intent on playing the 'multiple choice DVD' game yet again. I refuse to buy two different DVD's because they refuse to package the theatrical and the extended together. I don't need the TV specials crap and all of the rest of that BS they pass off as value. Just gimme da movie!

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
too bad there won't be a DTS 24/96 version. That'll really motivate some people to save up for a mid-fi receiver.

Elbert

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Peter:

Do the receiver upgrade. The difference between the 1601 and 2802 is huge in terms of features. With the 2802 you get a 6th amped channel, preouts, DPL2, more inputs, more power. And those are just the main differences. You don't need to feel it's frivolous because you were motivated by the relase of FOTR. Although that would almost be inducement enough for me...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Rogue Leader for GameCube made me upgrade my receiver to one that could do DPL2. LOTR will make me upgrade my speakers to ones that don't suck. And if I've got enough money put aside by then, it may also make me upgrade my TV.

derek

Second Unit
Start on your homebrew EX setup now if you don't want to pay for a full blown new receiver. :) See my faq.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Well, you pegged me right on!!! I up graded my Kenwood VR-407 with the Denon 2802 and all my infinity speakers with a full set of Diva speakers. 5.1 all direct radiating to 6.1 to dipolar surrounds.

I am crazy, but it is not costing me too much, so I think it is worth it! I can't wait!!!!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Actually I was thinking one day if those sounds the Ringwraith guys make would blow my tweeters....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks