What's new

LORD OF THE RINGS Trilogy Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
First of all - thanks to Chuck for starting this. I have long thought there should be a trilogy thread. And great news on the TTT/ROTK complete soundtracks!
I've done one EE marathon, early last year. Started at 6 PM, and basically went non-stop to 6 the next morning. It's pretty exhausting. Next time, I may just do one film per evening... ;)
As far as the extras, I've watched all 18+ hours of documentary footage on the 3 EEs (in several sessions spread over a couple of years). I found it all fascinating.
Now I'm working VERY slowly through the commentaries. I just listened to the PJ/Fran/Philippa track for TTT a few weeks ago. The three writers explain their rationale behind EVERY controversial decision made for that film (and longtime readers here know there were lots of them) - yes, PJ even talks about Gimli's belch. Even if you still disagree with the choices, at least you understand why they were made. Holadem, you said you're mainly interested in the adaptation/directoral choices - the PJ/etc. commentaries are going to be gold for you.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I've never done an EE marathon, mostly because I enjoy watching movies with my wife and she can't stand sitting still for more than 2 1/2 hours (although she did make it all the way through ROTK:EE . . .).
I have, however, been intrigued by the idea of breaking it up over six nights. Each half of each movie's EE is roughly 1 1/2 - 2 hours, so watching them all in a sort of "miniseries" style seems to add to the whole epic nature of the trilogy, at least for me.
I think it'd be a serious programming coup if a network picked up the broadcast rights to the EE Trilogy and aired it over the course of six consecutive nights. The movie breaks are perfectly placed to allow for cliffhangers and the Ominous Network Announcer's voice saying, "Tomorrow night . . . the epic saga continues . . . {cue preview montage}" :D

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I hated that from the beginning. I don't mind Hobbits portrayed as more elementally "in touch" with their emotions, but I found Sam's constant weeping grating in the extreme. Certainly Tolkien didn't show him, or Frodo, or any of the Hobbits as such continual cry-babies.

The Mouth of Sauron -- it SHOULD have been in ROTK... but not that way. The character's absence leaves a hole in the theatrical version, but in the EE it's not well-done. I dislike the scene, moreover, because it's absolutely ridiculous to show Gandalf the White believing the MoS's lies and despairing. That is so fundamentally untrue to Tolkien, it ruins the scene, even beyond the jokey-hokey nature of the character.

For me, FOTR remains by far the best film of the trilogy. I miss certain things omitted by Jackson from the original, but still FOTR captured with the greatest fidelity what Tolkien tried to do in the book.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The hobbit comments always puzzle me. Hobbits wear their hearts on their sleeves. It is the foundation of their nature. It is this very quality that allows Frodo and Sam to persevere.
Emotion is fine. What I object to is PJ's heavy-handed milking of every single reaction shot. Endless slow-mo, extreme close-ups, overdone expressions, etc.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Moving on...
4 CDs for The Two Towers is excellent news. The soundscape that Shore created for the Rohirrim, the Ents, and the Battle of Helms Deep, contains many of my favourite musical moments.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Great news about the score for TTT-Complete Recordings being released in October 2006. Actually, "great" doesn't really do it....FANTASTIC news! :) I for one am glad they have spaced them out like this. Easier on the wallet. :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Good thing I just got a new job with a bigger paycheck... I sure as hell am gonna need it :D

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I havent watched a LOTR film in over a year. Thats a big deal for me. I was definately in the "Obsessive" corner with these films. And I'm actually really happy for it. I feel its time now to go back and watch them with a little more freshness. Since my last viewing i've also bought a projector and am about to buy a new receiver so I cant wait. These will be outstanding in HD!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well it is probably over a year since I watched these so I decided to do a marathon, and have watched all of EEs non-stop. Some thoughts :
1. I am really tired :)
2. Despite the length, the films work really well as a whole, although the start of TTT feels a bit disjointed as we pick up all the threads from the previous film and PJ seems to feel the need to introduce each character again. As the film progresses we spend longer with each character and this works much better.
3. FOTR :EE is still the best one, partly because it feels more personal than the other two which are more epic.
3. I think with the time that has passed between seeing the theatrical versions, the additional scenes that have been added flow more seamlessly into the film for me. FOTR was never a problem, but when watching TT:EE and ROTK:EE for the first couple of times a lot of the new footage didn't seem to flow right. I think the passage of time has meant these new scenes seem to fit much better into the film for me and very few detract from the film as a whole. There are still some moments which needed a little refining but this is also true of the theatrical versions
4. The musical score is absolutely amazing throughout the whole trilogy.
5. Bernard Hill should have got a Supporting Actor nom for ROTK. His speech to the Rohirrim is great.
6. Despite the impressive action sequences in TTT and ROTK, my favourite remains the sequence in Moria. I always remembered this moment from the book more than any other, and the film captures this moment perfectly.
7. One simple edit would fix the awful Denethor moment of him running away on fire. After Gandalf says "So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion", cut straight to battle - problem solved.
8. The Galadriel/Elrond bit in the middle of TTT is unnecessary and still feels like a summary for those not keeping up!!
9. Elijah Wood did a great job showing Frodo's deterioration throughout all three films. One particular moment I like is when Sam gives him back the ring in the Cirith Ungol and the change in his demeanour as he puts the burden over his neck again.
10. I am really tired :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Simon Massey said:
so I decided to do a marathon, and have watched all of EEs non-stop.
:)
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Wow. Simon...you...are....THE....MAN! :)
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Simon Massey said:
1. I am really tired :)
2. Despite the length, the films work really well as a whole, although the start of TTT feels a bit disjointed as we pick up all the threads from the previous film and PJ seems to feel the need to introduce each character again. As the film progresses we spend longer with each character and this works much better.
3. FOTR :EE is still the best one, partly because it feels more personal than the other two which are more epic.
3. I think with the time that has passed between seeing the theatrical versions, the additional scenes that have been added flow more seamlessly into the film for me. FOTR was never a problem, but when watching TT:EE and ROTK:EE for the first couple of times a lot of the new footage didn't seem to flow right. I think the passage of time has meant these new scenes seem to fit much better into the film for me and very few detract from the film as a whole. There are still some moments which needed a little refining but this is also true of the theatrical versions
4. The musical score is absolutely amazing throughout the whole trilogy.
5. Bernard Hill should have got a Supporting Actor nom for ROTK. His speech to the Rohirrim is great.
6. Despite the impressive action sequences in TTT and ROTK, my favourite remains the sequence in Moria. I always remembered this moment from the book more than any other, and the film captures this moment perfectly.
7. One simple edit would fix the awful Denethor moment of him running away on fire. After Gandalf says "So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion", cut straight to battle - problem solved.
8. The Galadriel/Elrond bit in the middle of TTT is unnecessary and still feels like a summary for those not keeping up!!
9. Elijah Wood did a great job showing Frodo's deterioration throughout all three films. One particular moment I like is when Sam gives him back the ring in the Cirith Ungol and the change in his demeanour as he puts the burden over his neck again.
10. I am really tired :)
Great stuff Simon. And some GREAT films. :)
Second you on FOTR...It's my #3 film of all time and pretty dang close to #1. It's a masterpiece.
Pretty cool that you did this. :emoji_thumbsup:

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
You know during the films. I didnt feel tired at all. I was only tired afterwards. I put that down to the strength of the films and it has been a long time since I watched them so I enjoyed them a lot more. I think what is wonderful is that despite the occasional flaw, the trilogy as a whole is an amazingly consistent as a single film and a wonderful achievement. It was a great decision by Jackson to film them all at once, as I dont think they would have achieved this otherwise.

I would say however, that anyone new to the trilogy should watch the theatrical versions first unless they have read the books. The Extended Editions are to me for people who have seen the films or read the books and I think this is how Jackson approached them. I have seen many complaints for example about the scene which reveals the army of the Dead before the ships arrive at Minas Tirith and how it spoils the surprise. Personally I prefer the EEs as they are with this scene - I have already seen the film so it is hardly a surprise when they show up at Minas Tirith.

Now if I could just get that SW marathon in as well

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Simon Massey
so I decided to do a marathon, and have watched all of EEs non-stop.
Sp how long did it take, Simon? I trust you didn't go thru the 10 minutes of extended credits on each film. Did you cut out the credits all together?
I have thought of doing this as well, but so far tyhe closest I got was doing the trilogy over 3 consecutive nights.
I was on vacation last week, I should have went for it!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I haven't had a LOTR DVD marathon yet, but I did go to the Trilogy Tuesday event. I was tired after that, but it was worth every minute. I've been meaning to do a DVD marathon for awhile now, just can't seem to find a whole day to waste. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes the Trilogy Tuesday is an event I will cherish forever. It was a great day with an awesome audience.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Lou Sytsma said:
Yes the Trilogy Tuesday is an event I will cherish forever. It was a great day with an awesome audience.
Agreed. One of the best audiences of which I've ever been a part.
I hadn't read the books at the time (and still haven't outside of The Hobbit and most of FOTR), but a lot of the audience were HUGE fans of the books, and the collective confusion on their part after that first long fadeout (of Frodo and Sam on Mt. Doom) was pretty funny. I heard at least 3 people say, "That's it?!", thinking the movie to be over at that point.
:D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I trust you didn't go thru the 10 minutes of extended credits on each film. Did you cut out the credits all together?
When I did my trilogy marathon I sat through the regular credits, and then let the fan credits roll while I took care of bathroom needs, stretched, cleared & replenished food, etc. Howard Shore's wonderful music playing while I performed these mundane tasks kept the LotR mood going in between films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks