Lord of the Rings Trilogy Audio Books

Discussion in 'DVD' started by jeff lam, Jan 18, 2004.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    After seeing all the LOTR films I was interested in reading the books but as I don't have much time and I'm not big on reading so I was thinking about getting the audio books on CD. I did get this set (Tolkien Gift Set) for Christmas but found out it wasn't the full (unabridged) reading. After doing research on the audiobooks I found that the unabridged readings are available but at a much higher cost. I really just wanted input on this gift set and if it is any good. I checked Amazon for reviews of this set but there weren't any (I guess this set is fairly new?).

It seems like a pretty cool set and includes the Hobbit as well as the Rings trilogy. Also a Map of Middle Earth and some cool packaging. I also heard it has sound effects but have not yet listened to the set as I may want to exchange it for the unabridged version. If anyone has listened to this set I would appreciate your feedback. It is called "J.R.R Tolkien Gift Set" and is presented by BBC Radio and I guess is a production of Random House Audio. It is 17 discs in all. 5 discs for the Hobbit and 4 for each of the trilogy.

2. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

From the link you provided, it looks like you have the BBC recordings. I have the BBC recordings of LOTR and the Hobbit as well as the unabridged audio reading by Rob Inglis. The unabridged audio is hands down the best way to experience LOTR orally, but the BBC recordings aren't too bad. In fact, I think Peter Jackson's vision of LOTR is based somewhat on those recordings. The sound effects are decent and the acting is very good. But I think the movies really make the BBC audio recordings obsolete. In many ways, the BBC recordings are like the movie without the images. In both cases you lose the beauty of Tolkien's writing (though they both retain the power of his story).

If it's at all possible, I would try to get the unabridged narration by Rob Inglis. He is superb--every fan of LOTR should own this set. Not only does he do all the voices, but he even sings all the songs. I absolutely love listening to these CDs and I can't recommend them enough. The complete set contains 52 hours of narration on 46 CDs and is divided into 3-minute tracks.

Hope this helps!

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

talk about a marathon session of 1,5 days compared to the eventual 11 hours of the movies.

[​IMG]

4. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

[​IMG] 46 CDs?? What's the cost for a set like that? Never mind, I found it on amazon. $130--amazingly reasonable for that many discs.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Nonsense preciousss! The dialogue is massively more detailed in the radio play and there are many scenes and situations that are not present in the films at all. There is a much greater emphasis in the films on the action, but the radio play concentrates on the characters, as it should do.

Plus, Peter Woodthorpe's performance of Gollum trounces Andy Serkis' by a league.

6. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Couldn't disagree more.

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Sue me! [​IMG]

8. Jonathan Dagmar

how about if i just pelt you with tomatoes?

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Do your worst.

Serkis is good, but he just sounds too much like Donald Duck at times.

10. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

[​IMG]

This is what I have been listening to on the commute to and from work lately. Good stuff.

11. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

I understand what you're saying, and maybe I exaggerated a little, but what I meant was, they both provide a short, dramatized introduction to the books. IMHO, both the radio show and the movie (as great as they are and as much as I love them) are merely shadows of the books and I think one will do just as well as the other to bring someone to the books.

That being said, if someone doesn't have the time or inclination to read the books (or the cash to buy the unabridged audio), then the BBC recordings are probably the next best thing, and very enjoyable.

12. Jonathan Dagmar

Nah. I don't care to fight over it, hehe, it comes down to a matter of preference. I've seen the Bakshi movie and I thought the voice of Gollum, and most of the other characters for that matter, was terrible.

(BTW, I realize we are not talking about the Bakshi movie, but the BBC radio play, but it's the same actor playing Gollum in both)

13. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

I loaned the BBC radio version to my best friend - oh - about a year and a half ago. I haven't seen them since.

I think some of the scenes from the BBC version of Return of the King worked better than Jackson's movie. Shelob's lair, in particular, is scary as all hell (especially if you're listening to it in the dark with headphones). For some odd reason, I wasn't scared at all during the Shelob scenes in the Jackson movie. I was also missing the scene where Frodo freaked out on Sam at the top of Cirith Ungol when he learns Sam has the ring. That scene was incredibly powerful in the BBC radio version, and it was nowhere to be found in the movie.

14. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Couldn't agree more! [​IMG]

Comparing the BBC radio version to the PJ films is like comparing Shakespeare to Sesame Street.

15. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

My favorite "Gollum" performer is still Brother Theodore, who did the voice for Gollum in the Rankin/Bass TV movie version of The Hobbit and The Return of the King.

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I did a reading of the entire LOTR on tape some years ago (recently transferred to CD) that runs about 41 CDs. Quite the monumental task, especially keeping straight all the voices. [​IMG] Listening to it now I wish I'd made more of a difference between Merry and Pippin. [​IMG] The Hobbit was even worse though (7 CDs) with all the dwarves to differentiate. Fili and Kili tend to blur together.... [​IMG]

17. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

They should have gotten Brother Theadore back from the Hobbit animated film to do the Gollum voice.

18. Dustin James

Dustin James Stunt Coordinator

19. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

Yep, because the BBC version has a singing Eagle (barf!)

But seriously, I like the BBC radio dramatization a great deal. I've listened to it three times (most recently just a few weeks ago).

As a radio drama, of course it will be able to focus on more character/story stuff. However it also has the advantage of being able to "cheat" by using a narrator who can simply spell out lots of story/plot/background. That kind of exposition fits with radio drama but is difficult in films. So, the films don't have the luxury of a narrator "cheat".

I have to say, the weakest thing about the radio adaptation is the battles. This, of course, is more of a limitation of the medium. But in the radio adaptation, I find that I really dislike the battle parts (the singing that tells you about the battles is just plain bad).

The films, being a visual medium, have the advantage in doing battles. And, while PJ couldn't devote as much time to smaller story elements and character stuff, he still managed to do a fantastic job at telling the story and giving us characters to care about. I'm ultimately much more moved by the films than I am by the radio play. Neither can be exactly like the book. Both are adaptations. The radio play is closer to the book. However, the film works much better for me. I do get moved by the radio play. It IS well done. But I find the films a much more satisfying experience.

I really LIKE the radio adaptation. I LOVE the book. I LOVE the films.

For someone who liked the films and is looking for more of the story but doesn't want to read the books, the radio adaptation is a great way to get the fantastic story in the films fleshed out a bit more while also telling it closer to the original novel.

The radio drama is definitely worth checking out for anyone who enjoys this story.

20. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

The BBC radio production (with Ian Holm as Frodo, btw) has been a favorite of mine since the early 80's when it played on NPR. Granted, it may lose some of its luster next to the film trilogy, but it is still a great adaptation with great production value and a talented cast. I plan on listening to it again soon.

Ric