Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

(did a search... didn't see anything)

I'm kind of excited about this game.

Although the gameplay was a little boring in my copy of "LOTR:The Two Towers", I loved the graphics and how scenes from the film were intertwined into the game.

This one is more of a free-roamer RPG. Although I'm not a big fan of the slower-paced RPG type games (IE: Final Fantasy), this one has me interested. Some of the screenshots look pretty promising.

Anyone know if it's going to support multi-player networked play? I couldn't find any mention of it.

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I'm a big RPG guy (when I have the time) and a big LOTR movie fan.

Waiting to see the reviews to see if I have to get this [​IMG]

3. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Seems to imitate the Final Fantasy series quite a bit, though I here the battles get almost as repetitive, if not moreso (thanks to this being a movie-licence LotR product, they were limited to enemies/creatures shown in the films, with little variation).

I'll probably end up picking up the GameCube version. Not too many traditional RPG's available for it...

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

A lot of the reviews have been saying that its very linear and the battles are a lot like FFX. So if you hate FF games, you might not like it.

Some features sounded good, but overall its gotten mediocre reviews.

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've been playing it for about a week. The gameplay mechanics are very much like FFX, but there is no interactive story. You have quests to complete, but it's really just going to spot X to kill badguy Y, and when you do so, you're rewarded with some movie video footage. Having said that, it's a lot of fun. My party beat the Balrog last night. It was a hard fight, but I knew it was coming, so I used the right character special abilities to make it bearable. The graphics are pretty good, it's fun exploring the different locations. If you're not busy playing another game, I'd recommend this one.

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Reviews for this have made it plain that

1) The storyline is minimal
    2) It is very easy compared to a normal RPG

But it has gotten good reviews

As I found FFX way way way too easy as it was, I can't imagine tolerating a game that was any easier...
    I'm gonna pass on this until it is a bargain price, despite my LOTR movie fandom.

7. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

I've always been able to pass off the relative ease of the Final Fantasy games due to the fact that, ultimately, the main objective of the game is to advance a narrative, a story. Square makes sure to throw in some challenge for the gamers out there (optional questions, extra Weapons to beat, etc.) but they still keep it accessible for the more casual (nonskilled?) gamer to finish the story. That I understand...

What I don't get is that, if there's not much of a story to go on, what would keep the player interested in the game enough to finish a long, drawn-out, but otherwise easy game? I guess LotR fandom will go a long way there, but I guess that I will ultimately find out.