What's new

Lord of the Rings Revisited (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

I think the footage existed - they gave him money to bring all the extra stuff up to the same quality as the theatrical versions (effects, color grading, score, etc.) so it would work seamlessly in the extended cuts.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yep, Craig, but isn't what I said true, too? I could have sworn that I read somewhere that he did indeed get at least some of the main cast back together to film entirely new scenes for the EE's dvd's.

I KNOW that I read that somewhere. I hate when this sort of thing happens, don't you? ;)

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator

No, there were no scenes filmed specifically with the intention of only putting them in the EE. There were some reshoots (intended to make it into the theatrical) that they didn't use and ended up in the EE.

The only thing specifically filmed for the EEs (to my knowledge) was the avalanche of skulls in the extended Paths of the Dead sequence.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I attempted to do a Star Wars marathon this year, but we had too many interuptions and only got in the first two movies and the Clone Wars cartoons.

However, I do plan on having a Lord of the Rings one in the near future. I like what my buddy Jonathan did when he had one. It's a long, but funny read.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I have been wanting to do the LotR EE marathon with friends for a long time, but haven't been able to find the time that is convenient for everyone.

Quick question though: do you do the marathon in DTS or DD EX? I am debating this, since I find the DD EX mixes have cleaner and tighter bass.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I did mine in DTS, but I think that the LOTR DVDs is a case where DD sounds 'different' in ways that could sometimes be better...like having a brighter, more articulate sound. I noticed that thought the DTS sounds "smoother", the DTS mix also sounds a bit muddy in comparison. It's clearly a different mix (or EQ'ed/processed differently)...not just a different codec.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I did a quasi-marathon with the EEs in the summer... renovation of the bathroom tub-surround tile during the day, one LOTR:EE during the night.

I used the DTS tracks, which lead to an interesting... side effect. During the seige of Minas Tirith my front right speaker came tumbling off of its shelf, bounced off the printer, and rammed a big gouge into the laminated computer table's surface...

Didn't damage the speaker - that was the important bit!

Leo

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I actually burned out on LOTR for a while. I've only watched the ROTK EE once (except for a couple of the commentaries). It's been over a year since I've watched any of then... I'll have to find the time. :)

(Doing an 11+ hour marathon is asking a bit much with a 2 year old running around though...)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I have the same feeling about the two mixes: they sound so different that I can't decide which one to use for the marathon. Maybe do the marathon one day in DTS and then the next day in DD :D

But I do find the bass to be tighter and cleaner on the DD tracks...

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I took a very long Amtrak trip by myself recently and brought along a portable DVD player and headphones. I brought a lot of movies in CD cases (all the LOTR discs fit neatly into one case). I watched all 3 Extended versions back to back. Even on a small screen they were powerful. It sure made the time go by very quickly.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The power's easy - most Amtrak trains have 120VAC outlets between most seats.

And actually, Washington DC to Orlando is something like 8-9 hours - unless it's longer?

Leo

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Ha, yeah, I was at the front of a car leading to the dining car, so everybody passed by me. I could tell some people were hanging back to see what I was watching. I had the seat to myself so I was a bit sprawled with the seat all the way back, and had the DVD player on my chest. There was an outlet right there, so power wasn't a problem. I was going from Kansas City to Chicago, but I had to take the one that went through St. Louis and made many many stops in-between. It was a 12+ hour trip to begin with, but bad weather delayed it even more. I love traveling by Amtrak. It was good.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to be doing this again soon. (Cheated the first time and skipped most of Sam and Frodo in TTT, just so I could get through the trilogy in a day.) 12 hours... Got a four year old and a six month old... Gonna be tough.

It's funny. I just did the rough math. each Star Wars movie is pretty close to 2 hours... So 6 movies, 12 hours.

You could watch all six SW movies in only about 30 minutes more than the LOTR trilogy.

Not watched LOTR since April last year, so it's definitely about time to watch it again, if only so I can knock all 3 off the HTF DVD Challenge:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks