What's new

lord of the rings killed my speaker!! (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
Boxy? Muddy? Are you guys insane? :)
I think you guys have some placement issues if those are your descriptions. I'm guessing placed in an entertainmet unit of some sort, or too low/high, or poor room acoustics.
I've heard a lot of center speakers in my day and the CDM-CNT can whip about 90% of them. Dialogue clarity is excellent and imaging is very open and spacious. I had the Paradigm studio-CC just before the B+W and although it was a good center speaker, the B+W is a great center speaker.

Alfred_B

Auditioning
Newbie post here.

My home theater setup is quite small compared to most everyone on this forum. It's just Def Tech ProMonitor 100 fronts, ProCenter 100 center, ProSub 80, and BP 1.2X surrounds driven a 100 w/ch Kenwood reciever. All pretty much cheap stuff in this forum.

I watched LOTR, it was loud(comparable to the way it sounded in the theater), it vibrated my house, it was quit impressive. Nothing sounded strained, no speakers blew.

This begs the question:

Just how f***ing loud do you guys listen to these DVDs?

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
Ned-

Maybe "boxy" isn't the right term. It sounds great with most dialog & yes, its clear, but it doesn't seem to go "low" enough. The Canton speaker I was using seemed much less shrill and capable of capturing a more full-bodied sound. Sorry I don't know the technical way to describe it. Again, I'm hoping it's because I only have about 5 hours of usage on the CNT.

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
I must admit iwas probally playing to loud my sons friends were over so i went a little louder than normal. now dont get me wrong -10 on the bk is 10 clicks away from ref levels a least i think so. why is that movie so damm loud is it possiably a wire came loose inside because i dont get any sound from the tweeter at all?

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well LOTR is definitely the loudest DVD I've ever watched in my HT. Usually I watch at 0dB volume on my TAG McLaren AV32R, but even -5dB was unbearably loud with this movie. I had to turn it down to -8dB for ideal volume. Incredible movie with a reference quality transfer and great sound though...I'm just waiting for the extended version hopefully with DTS.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Well LOTR is definitely the loudest DVD I've ever watched in my HT. Usually I watch at 0dB volume on my TAG McLaren AV32R, but even -5dB was unbearably loud with this movie. I had to turn it down to -8dB for ideal volume. Incredible movie with a reference quality transfer and great sound though...I'm just waiting for the extended version hopefully with DTS.
I had the same experience. And the thing was that the dialog appeared (most of it) very loud. It was not the effects only. Actually my initial impression is that it took away from the impact of the effects because so many people turned the level down.

Had the run the dialogue lower the effects would have had more impact by virtue of dynamic separation.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I believe the early consensus on this DVD is that it's recording level is at least 5dB hot. When alone I was able to play it at -10 on my system without fearing damage to anything but my eardrums but for mixed company I reset to -20, even down to -25 depending on ages (seniors and little ones). I usually listen to DVD's at -15 for good HT impact.

This is the finest quality DVD I've ever seen or heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks