What's new

lord of the rings killed my speaker!! (1 Viewer)

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
Lat night i was watching lotr at pretty high levels went to check the levels of the speakers and one had a funny sound to it no tweeter the speakers were B&W cdm1nt the matching center and para adp studio surrounds,and a svs sub.could i have fried the tweeter in the one speaker? i use a bk ref 30 and a five channel rotel 110watt a channel amp.on the bk i had it to -10 on the volume. whats your opions

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
Its not the channel its the speaker already tried differant speaker. i put my old trusty studio80 in their place and everthing is ok again. now those paradigms i hope can handle it:)

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Scot says: "now those paradigms i hope can handle it"

Scot, I have not played that DVD yet, but I keep hearing in these forums comments to how "loud" it is and how much low-end it has.

If you blew out a tweeter your amp could have been clipping.
If that's the case you could "pop" another one.

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think a bigger power amp may be what i need to look into if so any sugestions? maybe a bigger 2 channel amp and i would use the rotel for surrounds and center.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Scot says: "Do you think a bigger power amp may be what i need to look into if so any sugestions?"

If you were indeed clipping, more power or more efficient speakers are the only solution.

I don't know what power you're running right know, so it's hard to give a specific recommendation. To increase your headroom by 3dB you need to double your power output.

So to give you any kind of benefit this would be the bare minimum I would trade up to.

6 dB would be more realistic if you are going to be listening at those levels. This would mean that you would need to quadruple your amps output.

I am sure if you give us the efficiency of your speakers and the power of your present power amp, the folks here can come up with some alternatives.

Jim_P

Stunt Coordinator
I blew my left rear channel speakers while playing Lord of the Rings.

I'm running a Rotel 1095 amp. This amp doesn't clip.

I'm just wondering if the soundtrack is recorded with clipping. Is that even possible???

Ned

Supporting Actor
Scot-

Were you running the CDM's small or large? We have the same setup almost verbatim (1nt,cnt,20-39csi,paradigm adp-150). I haven't watched LOTR yet.

Jaro_F

Auditioning
Ugh, I also have B&W CMD1NT and I have watched LOTR but they survived, I didn't even know I could have burned them.

I have Rotel 993 and 991 both amps 200W and they don't clip ever with the volume I am running them at.

If there is a problem with the recording we should all know don't you think?

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
I tried something differant that night i was using the paradigm x-30 sub control this has a selectable high pass on the main speakers before the power amp stage crossover points are 50-80-120 i was set at 80. in this configration you tell the bk ref 30 theirs no sub a run large speaker setting. i dont know if thats the reason i blew the speaker or not.

Terry U

Auditioning
I listened to the cdmnt 1 at a dealer with the rotel reciever. We played LOTR and the speakers handled it just fine. It was at loud levels. I would say that your amp clipped and nailed the tweeters.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Chip E.....YES:D :emoji_thumbsup: :D
I have seen the movie three time now. Yesterday I listened at reference level (my wife was out of town) and WOW!!!.
I use Klipsch speakers and I think they do great with movies like these due to the horns.
Uhhh, oh yea, sorry Scott...I hope all turns out well.
My opinion is that maybe a stronger amp would help. I use a 150WPC amp that does miracles above the 100WPC internal amps on the Onkyo TX DX 797.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Denon 4802 here. My CC370 sounds funny. I am not sure if LOTR did it but yeah, it happened at around the time I got that movie (2 - 3 weeks ago). I already spoke to my dealer, will get a replacement soon.

Incidentaly, the same center crapped out on me earlier in the year. Probabbly got somehow damaged during my move. As far as I know, it was working fine at the old place, sounded weird right out of the box at the new one.

--
Holadem

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
Scott/Ned-

This is off topic, but what are your thoughts on the CDM-CNT? Mine just arrived three days ago & I have it matched with CDM NT7s as mains and CDM NT1s as surrounds. I love the 7s but the CNT seems real "boxy" sounding. Did it improve over time? I was using a Canton Ergo CC for my center and I'm thinking of going back to it.

Jay

Jaro_F

Auditioning
While we are at CNT , I also think it is somewhat 'muddy' and dialog is not so clear as expected, I get much better dialog if I set the processor to be with 'vitural' center, therefore running it all with the L/R speaker.

Probablly this is the placement... or this spaker is just no good. Don't really know. Until now I thought it is the room/placement thing and didn't really put too much attention to it.

Anyone else?

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
I really like the cdm series but once i get it back they will probaly go upstairs in my bedroom system. i will use the paradigm studio 8o studio center and studio surrounds in the theater. they just seem better suited for home theater. unless it was a clipping amp. i probally should nt of ben listening at those levels. anythoughts on good home theater speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks