Lord of the Rings: FotR EE Box - Can a replacement be gotten anywhere?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rob Dwyer, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer Stunt Coordinator

Well, I had quite a few of my DVD boxes ruined when this happened. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here you go:

[​IMG]

Luckly, all my discs still work, and after drying them off most of the cases look OK (except Farscape 3.5 which is quite charred. The only case which did not survive at all was my Fellowship of the Ring EE box. By the time it dried out, the cardboard had warped, the paper covering over the cardboard was completely wrinkled, the box came apart, and all of the disc holders fell off the folding indise.

Is there any hope of getting a replacement box? Or would am I more likely going to have to order a custom box from http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/ ?

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Contact the manufacturers, it's your best chance. Explain your situation, and hope they are sympathetic to your plight.

3. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

..not to make light of your situation (Good luck, man) but--I don't get it. Were you storing your DVD's in the crankshaft or something? Did the power of superbit fuel your engine?

[​IMG]

I'm guessing there's some previous posts I'm missing out on..

4. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Couldn't you just claim the DVD case as a loss through your insurance? Then you could get a brand LOTR set or at least get reimnbursed for the purchase of a replacement. I don't know if the insurance would go for it, but maybe you could get what you'd have to pay for a new case at least.

5. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I think the picture's pretty self explanatory, he obviously crashed his car into his living room where he stores all his DVDs and they all burned up.

6. Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer Stunt Coordinator

Well, it started on the seat next to me (was gonna watch it with my GF for my birthday), but it flew onto the floor and got drenched when the firemen soaked the car from the fire. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll write the studio, and if not, claim the whole set on insurance if they'll let it on there. Why not try... I mean, they're paying for my glasses that were melted to the floormat.

And since I'm unhurt, make all the jokes you feel like [​IMG]

7. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

8. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    In the past, I was able to get a new Friends Season 1 slipcase box from the person listed in this post. Don't know if this is still a valid contact, but you might want to try it.

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Why even bother trying to get a replacement first? If it was ruined in an event that your insurance is covering, see if they'll cover it. They might not, but maybe they will. You're paying them money every month so it's at least worth trying to get it covered.

If that fails, THEN deal with the hassle of trying to get the manufacturer to send you a replacement case (though I'd think they would be hesitant to send out cases because they probably fear it would be used to sell a pirated disc).

Personally, I have two copies of all my LOTR EE's. One that takes the brunt of regular handling and one that stays in great shape. [​IMG]

10. Alvin.G.

Alvin.G. Stunt Coordinator

It's obvious Rob had a nice little vehicle theater system in his car and was watching Fellowship while driving (again). [​IMG] Sorry, dude, but I had to get in my jab. Glad to hear you escaped unscaved, although if you're like me, scaring a DVD case is like scarring a body part. Best of luck with the replacement and remember, eyes on the road at all times!

acg

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Not to veer off topic, but I was driving behind a van on my way home from work the other night and I was stopped at a light I saw they were playing The Two Towers EE on the roof-mounted player....I watched a good deal of the movie on my way and nearly missed my exit! So it's not just people in the vehicle that are a hazard.... :b