What's new

Lord of the Rings extended DVD (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
FULL 4 DISC SPECS!!!!!!!!
NOTE: according to Sideshow Weta this isn't even the complete list!
(complete list of Content to be Provided at a Later Date)
Discs 1-2: The Feature
FEATURE (approx. 208 minutes) - Unique version of the epic adventure with 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film and the new music scored by Academy Award®-winning composer Howard Shore:
Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition
Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
Stereo Surround Sound
Four audio commentaries by director and writers, the design team the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Andrew Lesnie, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Randy Cook...and many more
Discs 3-4: The Appendices
Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers and in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring:
Disc 3 - "From Book to Vision"
Adapting the book in a screenplay & planning the film
Designing and building Middle-earth
Storyboards to pre-visualization
Weta Workshop visit - An up-close look at the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film
Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship
An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process
Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists
Guided tour of the wardrobe department
Footage from early meetings, moving storyboards and pre-visualization reels
And much more!
Disc 4 - "From Vision to Reality"
Bringing the characters to life
A day in the life of a hobbit
Principal photography: Stories from the set
Scale: Creating the illusion of size
Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos
Editorial and visual effects multi-angle progressions
Sound design demonstration
And much more!
DVD-ROM Content: Includes access to exclusive online features
Closeup of the box:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/placed/lo..._giftset01.jpg
Another big closeup:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/placed/lo...vd_image01.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Kami, you beat me to it!

Looks great. I can't wait until November. And there is no way that I could pass up the 5-disc set. It's just too cool.

November seems so far away. At least the theatrical version DVD in August is just two months away.

Kami

Screenwriter
This is incredible. We get the DTS 6.1 ES, DD5.1 EX, and FOUR audio commentaries!!! Let's hope they put as much effort into the video transfer as well!
This set is going to have me glued to my couch for a week straight methinks :)
Also, there will be extra content on the national geographic DVD, so if you already own it there's some more stuff now.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Discs 1-2: The Feature
FEATURE (approx. 208 minutes)
Yes!
It now seems pretty clear that we will get the audio and video this epic film deserves! I wish there was a little more information about whether some of the added scenes will include an intermission transition.
Or maybe Gandalf show up on the screen with a big dusty book in his hands, and says, "Please insert the second disc now."
Thanks for the info Kami.
Joseph

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
F, F, F, FOUR COMMENTARIES???!!!!!! I need a time machine to skip to November. Those specs are glorious, and incomplete too? Good grief!

Dan

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Ahahahah let's start compiling the time needed to devour this set....ok, 208 minutes for the movie....832 minutes for the commentaries....already up to 17.3 hours on the first two discs :D!
-Tom

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Resin, I'd guess. Cheap and easy to work with.
Man, this release makes me glad I got a 5-disc changer....fill that baby up with LOTR goodness!!!
:D

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Somebody refresh my memory ... I can listen to DTS ES with a regular DTS receiver, I just won't get the rear center channel, right?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm definitely taking Nov. 12th off in order to get through as much of this set as possible. For this release alone NL should probably get studio of the year from the HTF. What a great value for DVD and FOTR fans!!

Chris S.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Amazing! This release alone might make New Line go back to the top of the heap...until FOx gets mad and trumps them again!

Kami

Screenwriter
Amazing! This release alone might make New Line go back to the top of the heap...until FOx gets mad and trumps them again!
Well, New Line could lead for the next 3 years on LOTR releases alone!! :eek:
I don't think I can even picture what they have in mind for the ULTIMATE box set in 2004 if we get this monster 5 disc set for one film alone.
Either way, New Line is getting a lot of my coin.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I am talking about king on a consistant basis. Not just one big amazing, blow your head off disc. I want quality like this on a constant basis. But this disc, and the august one, are so mine!

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Now that's how different editions of the movie should be priced. Take note, Universal. 4 disc set for $29.95 and the 5 disc collector's ultimate edition for $69.95. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks