What's new

lord of the rings collectors edition (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

For those who have shipping conformation from this "deeply discounted DVD" on-line retailer;) , what is the delivery date? Thinking about getting the $25 one today if it will ship tomorrow :)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Yes but this retailer is know for shipments taking a long time(with standard free shipping). From my previous orders with them they have taken a week to a week and a half to get here to CA. I'm just going to pick it up at BB on tuesday.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, if you use standard shipping it is media mail (which is basically the "russian roulette" of the USPS, it may take 3 days... it may take 2 weeks). I ALWAYS use Priority... and it should be here either tomorrow or Friday :)
(don't bother if you haven't already preordered... it WILL NOT ship in time to get it before street. It goes to a different queue)

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I just checked my order at BestBuy to see if they dropped the price to match their current $49.99. Unfortunately they didn't :frowning: Does anyone remember where on their website they say that if they drop the price during the pre-order period you will get the lower price? For some reason I'm unable to find that paragraph anymore. About a week or so ago they had a sale that dropped the 5 disk set by $1 to $53.99, and my price does reflect that. I'd certainly love to get a few more $$ off, but wanted to make sure I had my ducks in a row before calling them up...
Also, I used a $10 digital coupon (from the 2disk set ;)), and noticed that they calculated and charged sales tax as would be without the coupon, and then subtracted the $10. I apologize if this has been hashed out before, but it seems like sales tax should always be applied after any discounts and coupons. I know it's only $.80, but it's the principle of the thing :)
-- Dave

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
David, I promise you that your final tally for LOTR:EE 5-disc order will reflect the $49.99. The preorder guarantee is still evident on their movies page.

As far as their tax policy and GC's...they count the GC as a form of payment, not a price reduction. As a result, the tax is on the price and the GC + your credit card covers the payment.

Hope this helps.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Yep, the pre-order price guarantee is still effective:

Our pre-order price guarantee

Pre-order any title at BestBuy.com and if the Best Buy price — online or in-store — has dropped by the release date, you'll automatically be charged the lower price.
Just out of curiousity, why don't you cancel your online order and just purchase the collector's set at the store on Tuesday? Plus, with the Netflix coupon, you'll be able to get it for $47.99.

EDIT: whoops, sorry I forgot about your $10 DC.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Peter, thanks for the news on the BB price. I've had this on pre-order with Amazon for months. I just went out and checked my order and they say it won't even ship until 11/17!! :frowning: Forget that. I'm cancelling and I'll pick it up at BB on street date.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Craig, Amazon serves a purpose (catalog titles), but when it comes to blockbuster new releases, stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, and even now, KMart, just cannot be beat when it comes to their loss leaders.
Also, when it comes to the Netflix coupon - these coupons are housed in a regular dvd case and can be found at any register or in the new release section of the dvds. Take the wrapped case to the customer service counter where they will sign you up - you'll need a drivers license along with a credit card. They will NOT charge you anything since it's a free trial. But inside the case is a $2 coupon off of any $19.99 and above movie. Use it to lower the price of LOTR:EE 5 disc to $47.99.
Just be sure to cancel your 2 week trial prior to 2 weeks. Most importantly, Best Buy will automatically send you a $10 GC as a result of the signup. Takes about 8 weeks, but hey,...it's free money.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Craig, Amazon serves a purpose (catalog titles), but when it comes to blockbuster new releases, stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, and even now, KMart, just cannot be beat when it comes to their loss leaders.
Yeah, I know, but they had a good price on this back in June, PLUS a coupon PLUS Share-the-Love, so I had a good deal going. Also, it was unclear back then whether this expensive gift set would be a B&M loss leader.
As it turns out, I'll be paying more at BB (even with the Netflix coupon), but I just couldn't stand being without this title for a full week while everybody here is watching and talking about it. When it comes to LotR, I'm such a whore... ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Any clues as to the expected Wal-Mart price on this puppy?

So far, it looks like Best Buy or Costco is the place to go, but sometimes Wal-Mart beats even Costco.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
When it comes to LotR, I'm such a whore...
You and me both, Craig. I'm afraid to say I'm considering buying both 4 and 5 disc editions. One to use, one to fondle.

I'm still kicking myself for not preordering way back when, when the prices were excellent. But BB's price with the $2 instand Netflix coupon and the $10 GC takes the edge off of the pain.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Peter,
Thank you very much for the info. They sure hide that stuff pretty well when you're looking for it. I would have thought they'd put the official word in the "information center".
I didn't use a GC, I used a DC, which sounds alot like a coupon rather than a form a payment... Of course they might have some fine print somewhere that states DC's are just GC's with extremely short expiration dates, and only good online. But again it wasn't in the "information center" where I looked for such info.
I'll give them a day or so to update the price on my order, and hope all turns out well. I think I'd have alot of trouble canceling my order and picking it up in store at this point anyway since it's in such a late stage of the order process ;)
-- Dave

Brian E

Screenwriter
Amazon had it for $49.94 for a while. Using Share The Love got you $5 off. Tacking on a GC or Coupon got you down even lower. Mine will be $32.93 with shipping.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
FYI,I just used my $25 digital coupon from B-O-B w/Best Buy on my Lord of the Rings W/S Gift set, but the best part is the price rang up @ $49.99 w/FREE shipping! So my total was $29.36 :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Picking up 3 gift sets at BB tuesday at $45 a piece. Have coupons for all of them. Will be earning double points on Rewardzone card too, essentially getting $10 back in more coupons just from this purchase. Gotta love the way the Best Buy coupon system feeds itself. *thumbs up* Yee haw.

-C

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
David --

I didn't use a GC, I used a DC, which sounds alot like a coupon rather than a form a payment... Of course they might have some fine print somewhere that states DC's are just GC's with extremely short expiration dates, and only good online. But again it wasn't in the "information center" where I looked for such info
The whole issue of the coupons bugged me when I used a $5 off that was e-mailed to me.

The way I understand coupons is this: if the coupon is from a retailer, tax should only be charged on the final purchase price, since the coupon is from their own store and they will not be reimbursed by any retailer (i.e., $49.99 - $25.00 = $24.99 + tax.) If the coupon is from a manufacturer, the retailer will receive the money back and has to charge sales tax on the full amount, before any coupons are applied.

Gift cards are a form of payment, coupons aren't in my mind.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Just an update on my situation, BestBuy did not lower the price on my order yet, but did charge my CC (not just a reserve). So I just called them up to ask about it. The rep agreed that I should get a refund for the difference, and put in a ticket (apparently they don't have authorization to do it themselves), indicating that it would be about a week for it to be taken care of.
I have a feeling it didn't happen automatically because the gift set isn't listed properly on their site. Instead of having the usual slash through a price indicating a sale, they just list it as $59.99 and give you $49.99 when you try to order it. Perhaps if they fix that early next week it would work itself out. All in all it was handled to my satisfaction, if not perfectly.

As for the salestax situation, the rep had no clue about it, and tried to fumble some excuse or explanation. I can appreciate his position not wanting to say something that would get the lawyers all over him, but it'd be nice if BB put out an official policy/explanation about it. The only reason I'm concerned about it at all is that I have a nasty suspicion that BB is skimming the salestax amount off (by design or by accident), and I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Eighty cents isn't alot for one order, but if you add that up over hundreds or thousands and you start talking real cash. Of course I have no proof of this, and BB would never admit it, but it'd be interesting to find out exactly what happens to those salestax amounts and how they work into their accounting....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks