LORD OF THE RINGS BOX SET (R1 Vs R2)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Costin, Jul 21, 2002.

1. James Costin

James Costin Agent

Can anyone confirm the exact differences between the Region 1 and Region 2 version of the collector's box set edition of the film that is being released in November?
    I've heard that the Region 2 version will not contain the National Geographic disc.
    The Rewind website doesn't acknowledge this so I was wondering if anyone could confirm any details?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

It's hard to tell given we only have preliminary specs for the November release. I don't follow R2, I am an R1 only chap, BUT, if you went with the R2, you could import the National Geographic disc which is currently available seperately in the US.

Early reports a few months back seemed to indicate that the version of the National Georaphic doc in the set is meant to be slightly extended over the initial release version however.

The BBFC just passed the extended cut last week, it's retained it's PG certificate for the R2 release so you've got nothing to worry about in terms of the film itself, nor do I think extras worries should be of any concern. Everything points to the supplements being identical the world over.

Dan

3. James Costin

James Costin Agent

Thanks for the info Dan. I shall consider my options.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

We should see a definitive spec from Newline in the coming months, just know the National Geo disc will never be out of your reach since it can already be had on R1.

Dan

5. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

The National Geographic disc is also available in Region 2, so no importing is required. The only problem would be if the version in the box set is indeed extended, but I don't see that there would be much more they could put in that won't already be covered elsewhere in the four-disc set's extras.

6. James Costin

James Costin Agent

This link below suggests that the National Geographic disc will not be included although it obviously has yet to be 100% confirmed.
    Click here

7. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    The National Geographic disc is available now on R2 and HMV are selling it for £2.99 with the LOTR release on Aug 6 (I think you have to preorder it from them.

It will not be in the R2 box set in November apparently.