What's new

Lord of the Rings - BBC Adaptation (CD) (1 Viewer)

I saw the boxed set of the BBC adaptation of LoTR in a local bookstore yesterday and was wondering if it was very good. I've read the books and was going to do so again before the theatrical release of FoTR but thought this might be a better option.
Anyone here owned/listened to them. What's your opinion?
Thanks.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Fellow admins: since this doesn't really fall under Music, the thread is fine here
Peter, this set (as some people here will testify), is a masterpiece. And I don't say that lightly. The BBC have always done good radio dramas (and still do, just not like the good old days), but they really excelled themselves here.
It runs for around eleven hours and features a superb cast. Ian Holm, who plays Bilbo in the forthcoming films, plays Frodo. Gandalf is voiced by Michael Hordern. Bilbo by John LeMesurier. The voice talents of these three alone are staggering. Chapter three on the first CD - One Ring To Rule Them All features just Hordern and Holm, as Gandalf explains the history of the One Ring. This is possibly my favourite section of the whole production. Just beautifully acted.
It tells much of the what is in the books, but like the films is curtailed at certain points - so no Tom Bombadil or the Barrow-downs. There are even a couple of scenes that are not in the books, but they have been included for reasons of exposition. What is there is really something. The other cast members are also terrific in their parts - and special mention must be made of Peter Woodthorpe's role as Gollum. He captures the spirit of that character - along with all the clever, intricate nunances - absolutely perfectly.
There is a nice music score, but some of the sound effects are quite dated. Audio quality generally though, is very good indeed, with excellent stereo separation.
It's not a cheap set, but you really do get a lot for your money. Wonderful stuff. A real personal favourite of mine.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I want to second that. This series is incredible. I don't really have anything else to add to the above post other than to say: get it, you won't be disappointed.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I own this set on tape (easier to use in the car), and it is excellent. Can't recommend it enoug enough. Not only that, but both the CD and Tape versions have excellent cover art. Buy it!

Thanks guys, I'm sold. One further question though. Who tells the story? I assume there is a narrator, or is that task performed by a character?

Scott A.

Agent
Gerald Murphy does the Narration, but it's sparse. This is a radio dramatization, similar to the Star Wars ones done by NPR, (only better). The story is told by the characters in the drama, by their conversations and actions. Narration is mainly there for filling in back story, and setting the stage for each episode.
I haven't listened to this in a while so I popped in the first disk as I was typing this, and was met with Peter Woodthorpe's impressive work as Gollum. It's easy to loose yourself in these CD's.
You will not be disappointed with them.
Cheers,
S.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
It is simply awesome. If you're at all a fan you wont be disapointed with this set! Enjoy when you get it
icon14.gif

Marshall

Brian E

Screenwriter
This set is, as others have said, excellent. However the set I really want is the unabridged audio books from England. They are out of print and very expensive on eBay. Hopefully someone is going to do a new unabridged release, what with the movies coming, because the old release will not be done again according to the publisher. Their license expired and they aren't going to renew it.
------------------
-Brian
collection1.jpg

My DVD List

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
So, where can this be found? I've looked at Amazon - I must be a real clutz, because I can't identifiy it no matter how I search for it - and several other places. Nothing pops out as this set.
Never mind - I finally found it. Duh!
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on August 29, 2001 at 03:36 AM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
the set I really want is the unabridged audio books from England. They are out of print and very expensive on eBay.
These are read by Rob Inglis and are still available on audio cassette over here. 38 audio cassettes. No sign of a CD release yet.
However The Hobbit and The Silmarillion are both available as audio books (on CD and tape), read by Martin Shaw. I have Silmarillion and it's excellent... all 15 hours of it.
There is also a BBC radio play of The Hobbit, produced in the late 60s. Not as good as LOTR, but lots of fun and very well performed in places.
------------------
Link Removed
Link Removed

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you want to hear the introductory two minutes to the CD set, you can download this MP3 file. I've MP3d the whole play, but this intro scene was created as a test for someone. There's none of the actors in this, just the narrator and introductory announcement and music, but it'll give you an idea of what the play is like:
(Just right-click and 'Save As', just over 2mb in size)
Link Removed
Link Removed
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on August 29, 2001 at 05:57 AM]

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah, I saw the complete set of LOTR unabridged on audio books in the Virgin Megastore on Oxford St. just the other day. It's bloody expensive though - about 100 quid I believe.
I've rented them from the library and they are good but I do think that for the money cassette readings like this are never all that worthwhile. I've always taken them out from the library and while there are some I've taken out a few times I usually end up buying the book.
I think the LOTR one is done by ISIS Audio books. If not it will be by Chivers Audio Press. I don't know if they have websites or anything.
Oh and the BBC series is a great dramtisation but they do (of course) remove Tom Bombadil. Isn't it always the way?
Theo

TheoGB

Screenwriter

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
And those are for tapes, not CDs. Of course, there's a LOT of material there. The unabridged CD set for The Silmarillion I've got spans 13 discs and runs for almost fifteen hours. LOTR is going to be at least triple that, I would have thought.

You can check you local library. Check teens sections too for them.
I was able to found in my local library unabridged
Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring
Two Towers
Narrated by Robert Englis (spelling).
by Recorded Books Inc
My library also have BBC Hobbit and Lord of The Ring.

Don Bee

Auditioning
Hope some of this isn't duplicate by now
My first post:
Regarding Unabridged L.O.T.R.: All have been available in audio cassette form in U.S. for years from 'Recorded Books (.com) ' -(The CD verisions just recently so.) Both cd / audio-cassette versions are available for 30-day rent or purchase.
I recently became owner of Hobitt, et al. in cd format (almost 60 c.d.'s total ) and i.m.h.o., for those of us interested in absorbing Tolkien's "words", (as well as our forthcoming adventure/s in cinema version), the unabridged readings are wonderful!
Url is: http://www.recordedbooks.com/templat...kien_home=true

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Audible has The Silmarillion Unabridged in three volumes at about 16.00 each but you if join as a premium listerner (any two books each month) you could get the first two for 16.00 and the next month the third and something else then quit. I belong to the basic listener and get one book each month and "All things Considered" every day for about 13.00 a month a very good deal for audio books. Lots of Unabridged choices.
kd
[Edited last by Kim Donald on August 30, 2001 at 03:45 AM]
[Edited last by Kim Donald on August 30, 2001 at 03:46 AM]

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hey guys,
I was in a Barnes and Noble in Kennewick Washington about a week ago and they had the unabridged LOTR on CD. Each of the three books was sold seperatly. The packaging said that It was the only unabridged version of LOTR on CD. I was going to hook up until I noticed that the first book alone was $48!!! Damn, I'm not that rich. Anyway, point is, there is an unabridged CD version floating around.
Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks