Lord of the...Attack of the...what about E.T.?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Garman, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. Everyone always keeps talking about how they are excited for Attack of the Clones and Two Towers in 2002. I admit, I am just as excited however I just remembered that E.T. is coming back to theaters in March. Is anyone in the least bit excited!? I was just shopping around at a used media shop today and came upon the E.T. soundtrack. I bought it because I am a huge John Williams fan and have not really heard the music outside of the film. I got in my car, popped the CD in and drove home. By the time I reached home, I just kept driving because I could not stop listening to the final musical cues on the CD. I was in awe of William's work. I was starting to get pumped up for the film. Anyhow, when I got home, I decided to dig up my old VHS copy (ugh) and watch it. I could not believe how good that movie still is. It reminds me of childhood, as it does for so many. Truly, its powerful on many levels and I'll be the first to admit I had tears welling up in my eyes afterwards. So there, I said my mind. MARCH 22, 2002: E.T. The Extra Terrestrial.

AJ Garman

2. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I have to admit, I am curious to see what sort of changes Spielberg made to the film, outside of the ones seen in the trailer.

3. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I saw ET when it was originally released 20 years ago (i was in high school then...god i feel old), and i own the laser disc, which i've watched once. So that's 2 viewings of the movie in two decades.

That's about enough for me. I enjoyed ET, thought it was a good film. But i never thought it was ALL THAT. I never felt the chord it obviously struck with a huge segment of the movie going public.

Something tells me this re-release won't be nearly as successful as the Star Wars re-releases were.

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I too am interested to see the changes that Spielberg made to this film, but as for being excited to see E.T. in theaters again--I'm not.

I watched it many times as a nine year old, I have little desire to watch this one again. I may just skip it in the theaters and rent the DVD.

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I'm a little excited about it. But the fact is TTT and AOTC are brand new films to mega-frachises. That's the reason more people are excited about those two films. ET is absolutely terrific, but it is an older film that most have seen numerous times. But I am excited about seeing it again.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'm a fan of the movie--so far, it's the only movie I've seen at the theater twice in one day--but I'm not that interested in the altered version. I think I'll wait for the DVD.

But, I'm mainly posting about the score. Does the CD you bought have 8 tracks? If so, it's the version featuring concert arrangements. It's a great disc and has been out of print for a while, so you were lucky to find it (if you did). But, you might want to know that there is a newer, "expanded" version available at most stores. It features tracks directly from the film's score and is much more complete (though it's still missing some cues). If you are a fan of the score, you might want to own both. But, a word of warning: there will most likely be a new CD out at the same time the movie is rereleased. Whether it will have the missing cues remains to be seen.

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I suspect that another reason people aren't as excited about the re-release of E.T. is because they don't necessarily like the fact that Speilberg is making any changes to the movie at all, particularly the elmination of the guns at the end of the film. Considering the number of film purists 'round these parts, it doesn't surprise me that not as much discussion has come up regarding this film.

As for me, I will probably go see it at least once in theaters. I was too young for the original release and would like to see the film in the theater.

Oh yes, I am also in awe of John Williams's score for that movie. It is magnificent.

8. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

9. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

I also saw E.T. in a theater 20 (?!) years ago. I'm most anxious to take my 8 year old son to see it in March. He's not much of a movie fan but I think this could be the one to change his mind.

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think it will get a lot of audience as parents take their kids to see it. Just like a Disney re-release.
    I'm not going to make the effort. I remember enjoying it as a kid but I'm fairly surely it will just seem like sentimental twaddle to me in a hardened cynical 20's.[​IMG]

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Exactly. I saw it in the theater when I was 22 and thought it was sentimental crap, on the same dismal and cynically calculated level as The Sound of Music. I still don't have any interest in revisiting it. If it gives you warm fuzzies from your childhood, go for it, but prepare to be disappointed when you view it with an eye more critical than that of a 9 year old.

I also blame the unending fart and poop jokes that plague "family" movies on this picture. What the hell was Spielberg thinking?

12. Rain

Rain Producer

13. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

I'd go see the new version to see what was changed, but will buy the DVD because of the original version.

14. BrettB

BrettB Producer

My favorite movie.
    Yes I'm excited.
    Will see it more than once in the theater, don't believe the revisions will "ruin" it.
    Wish the original was being re-released to theaters.
    Will take my family to see it.
    Will take as many youngsters as I can to see it.
    If there are seperate DVD's will buy the original.
    If there are seperate DVD's might buy the "revised" version.

15. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

I know it's kind of geek/obsessive, but I don't think I'll see it just on the basis of the revisions. At the time it came out evil government was cool subject matter, part of the times I guess. So anything they do to nice-up the man ruins part of what made that great. What's next..go back and fix Alien so that the company order is Crew Survival Priority One? Sure it's nitpicking, but hey when a director decides to go back and change something in a movie, even if it's minor, if it undermines what I really liked about it in the first place..well then it's a matter of principle. Same goes for Lucas and Han shooting second. I don't care if it's only a 1/2 second, it's a deliberate effort to change something I liked about the original movie. Maybe it's nitpicking now, but I swear if more people were pissed about these things we wouldn't see so many directors signing up to screw with, uh I mean release a special edition of, their movies. That being said I'll get off my soap box and light a candle for Raiders of the Lost Ark someday coming to DVD unmolested, though short of Lucas getting hit by a truck I hold little hope for that.

16. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

I saw E.T. when it first showed as a sneak preview (saw it as a double feature with "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid")and I have not seen the movie since. I may go see this one, but only after the business dies down.

17. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I'm with Brett on this one. I saw E.T. exactly once, when it first came out. That's been more than enough for me...

18. Terrell

Terrell Producer

19. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    I can certainly understand why they want to update the film a little. They want to entice the new younger audience. Teens and kids, in general, have a dislike for older films. It's only when they achieve adulthood that they start to obtain an appreciation for the great classics and more obscure films. There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

Honestly I really don't have a problem with updating the film a little, adding some new effects, etc. Since this a major re-release (or new release), it's fine. It's not an arthouse revival showing.

They shouldn't change the tone of the movie, however. With E.T. I doubt they have, even with some of the more controversial changes. The Star Wars Greedo change, however, does change the tone of Han's character. He's supposed to grow into being a nice guy; not start out that way. For the most part I didn't have a problem with the other changes.

Now for the DVD release. They definitely should release both versions.

But, for this new theatrical release. I say go see it and don't worry about there being changes. Enjoy it for what it is. View the new effects and something new to be excited about. Then when the DVD comes out. Pop in the original and enjoy that one.

Can't we like both versions? (Now only if Lucas would understand this one)

20. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Lucas may when it's all said and done. However, I thought the added Jabba scene was a far worse addition than the Greedo scene. It totally destroys the illusion of Jabba, and takes away the awe and suspense of seeing Jabba for the first time.