Loosing Quality

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Jan 20, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

If you go through your receiver with video inputs, will you loose quailty?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Supposedly, you won't. But, if you believe that quality cables make a difference (as I do), remember you'll need to buy two of them.

3. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

4. jeff peterson

I was assuming you presently were running your DVD player directly to your TV and now wanted to change to run it into your receiver. So, you would need to pick up an additional video cable of equal quality to your present video cable - thus, 2 cables.

5. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Oh, no I'll keep my DVD player on componet and directly to the tv...

But otherwise...it is proven you won't loose quality?

6. jeff peterson

Here's what Ian Masters of Sound & Vision magazine (Feb/March 2002 issue) says in response to the same question:

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

However, the design of the receiver for switching HDTV is more critical. It is desirable to compare the difference between going direct to the TV and going through the receiver before you buy it.
    Softening of the picture due to loss of horizontal resolution in turn due to limits on the upper video frequencies, and ghosts due to leakage (crosstalk) between the three component video lines or due to not quite correct impedance, are things to look for.
    Hint: You need 14 MHz video bandwidth for 480p, 37 MHz for HDTV, can get away with 25 MHz for 1080i.
    More:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/bandwid.htm

8. Charles L.

Charles L. Agent

A friend of mine bought a thx pioneer receiver(I can't remember the model number) and it had several video problems. He took it back and got another one and it too did the same thing. He took it back and got a denon and everything cleared right up.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It all depends on the individual unit -- not just the manufacturer, but the model. My old Lexicon DC-1 did a poor job at switching composite sources; everything that passed through its composite switching picked up color shifts (the S-video was fine). For the MC-1, Lexicon went back and reengineered the video switching circuitry, and it works flawlessly with no loss of quality that I can see.

So the answer is that you need a reliable review of the video circuitry of the model you own or are thinking of acquiring.

M.

10. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Hmmmm, anyone seen the RX-V520 in action during this? Is it worth it to do this with this receiver? If you have experienced it, let me know what you thought!

11. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I read that HD need 150 mhz switching? Is this incorrect?